Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I wait to replace my gasket?

Options

So, should you wait to replace your gasket? Why not, it’s working fine you say. Well,,, “do you feel lucky, Punk?” I sure did…

You can wait, just like I did. After all, we’ve all seen others here on the forum say it over and over again – wait until you need a new one…

Should you wait to replace your gasket? NO. Why?, because if you do it now you’ll do it at your leisure, not at the whim of when you’re foolish enough to let it happen without being prepared…

I melted mine Thursday night on my large. Looked out and wondered why wisps of smoke were coming out from the gasket area,, then noticed the temp gauge was pegged. Oh well, was lucky to get out and shut it down and later able to get it pried open. Looks bad, but I think there’s enough left to do low and slows. I hope so, cause I need to cook a pork butt this coming Monday night for lunch at work on Tuesday.

I’ve got a major project to get done for work on Monday. Don’t have time to run to the hardware store to get all the additional stuff I need for the replacement. Don’t even know why I’m spending time on the forum right now. I know why, it’s because someone else out there is going to melt their gasket this weekend because they chose to wait. You shouldn’t.

I know, I know, there’s a bunch of folks that don’t even use a gasket. We’ve heard it before.

Anyways, I’ve already ordered my new Rutland from @RPP. By the way, isn’t it fun to say Rutland, sounds so manly…

Go ahead, wait to replace your gasket. You’re feeling lucky, “aren’t you punk…”

So endth today’s lesson…
LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• DoctorMojo
    Options
    Replaced mine on the Medium before I ever fired it up the first time.  Glad I did, The glueing surface was clean and easy to work with.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Have had 5 Eggs. 4 lost gaskets and never replaced.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DocWonmug
    Options
    My large egg gasket wore out about a year ago. I do everything from pizza at way hot to low and slow at under 220. Never have replaced it yet.
    LBGE
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I ran a year without gasket... sure there will be some smoke leaking, so what? I finally replaced it earlier this summer because I was not allowed to eat food from the egg after a surgery and I had time to waste... I did not notice any difference after replacing it. It still take the same time to shutdown, stilk using the same amount of lump, etc. I don't think that there is anything wrong with installing a rutland but please don't loose sleep over it...

Options
    @paqman and others, thanks for the reassurance. I know it will would work okay without one, I just like the looks of a well fitting gasket... ;)
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My gasket is on its last legs. I have a Rutland sitting the shelf for the day when the old one completely quits working. Once the weather cools off this fall, I'll probably replace it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @jtcBoynton don't wait dude, do it now. There's been people who have managed to glue their eggs shut in the middle of cooks...
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Buy a second egg...there ya go a new gasket and a Rutland on the way.. simple fix.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @badinfluence - I'd love to solve my problem that way but gonna have to wait awhile to get another egg. We're just about ready to pull the trigger on a kitchen remodel. Won't have the funds to do both.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    XC242 said:
    @jtcBoynton don't wait dude, do it now. There's been people who have managed to glue their eggs shut in the middle of cooks...

I'm not too worried. There isn't really much gasket there. Its a well seasoned very old gasket.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.