Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork for Breakfast...

Options
Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
08_20_0005_18_01.jpg
<p />Good morning. It's 6am Central Time and the internal temp of my 8.42 lb Boston Butt is now 174 degrees. The night went uneventfully with no burnouts - I checked it once at about 2:45 to find the dome temp at 300 degrees, closed it a little and went back to bed - temp was pegged at 250 when I got up this morning. [p]If you look at the picture, you'll also see my HD foil drip pan - got tired of using the store bought variety so I've been making my own.[p]Life is GOOD!
[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Drooling in my cawffee isn't a good thing.
    That looks great! All I have is a couple of sorry little Noo York strips. Wanna trade?[p]Carey

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Gfw,
    Looking good Amigo, Ship some of that to me. We will be EGG less for this coming week while working in Nashville. Last night was an experiment that turned out great. Mint Julep/Curry grilled chicken.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JJ,
    Take your mini egg with you,i had a blast with mine in Flordia.There is alot of parks in Nashville you could cook at or you could cook in the parking lot at the book stores,you would really draw a crowd for Kathy.
    YB

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    YB,
    I'll be working from 6 A.M. until atleast 6 P.M. I don't think I'll want to go back to the motel, clean up and go looking for a park. This is not a book signing trip. I'll be doing bright work on several boats.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JJ,
    Will you be at Old Hickory Tennessee,that is a nice lake.
    YB

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Your butt is doing better than mine. I put mine in at 9:30pm last night, babysat the egg for 2 hours or so, adjusting the temperature to about 230*. Woke up at 2:30am (I don't know WHAT it is about 2:30!) and checked the temp - 260*. Dropped the top vent a teeny bit and the bottom vent a wee bit smaller. Went back to bed. Woke up at 5:30am. Oh the humanity!!! Egg at 150*. D$%&!!! S@#%!!![p]Up goes the lid. Hmmmm. Plenty of lump. Out comes the rack, pan, and 2 butts. I give the coals a quick stir, add a bit more lump, replace the grid, pan, rack, & butts. Butts are reading 141* and 145* (yes...2 polders). I need these things done at 2:00pm today, so I begin to sweat. Took the daisy wheel off and opened the bottom all the way to stoke the fire. Temp gradually rises to 250*. On goes the daisy and I re-adjust both top and bottom. The left polder starts beeping like crazy, which at this point means that flame licked the lead and it is now ruined. Double d%&*!!!. I stabilize the dome temp at 275* to make up for some lost time and put out 20 bales of pine straw to fix our sad pine islands (we are having guests over you see....). At 9:00am I adjust the temp down to 240*. Polder reads 155*. The butt does its wierd temp thing which takes to 163* at 10:00am, 161* at 10:20am, and 159* at 10:45. I am now back to 162*.[p]My experience (20 or so butts) tells me that I need to be at 180* by 12:00pm to make the magical 200* by 2:00pm. I may have to crank up the heat to reach it.[p]I usually do butts at about 225* and they usually reach 200* in about 2.5 hours per pound. This one could be close![p]Just when you think you have it all figured out, but great BBQ god gives you a smack-down. Sometimes they go easy and sometimes you get a freaking war!
  • Gfw
    Options
    Jimbo, it is all a learning experience - and a fun one at that. I'm under no preasure, no guests are comming - after pulling we divide the results into bags abnd freeze most off it. We then use the plastic bag trick at 30% power for 6 minutes in the nuke machine - results are always marvelous. Have a great day. [p]PS - I use my insta-read more than my polder - no worry about buring the d--- thing up.[p]
  • Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Jimbo,[p]I see that you are no Rookie with Pork Butts and I myself have had similar experiences. The biggest lesson that I have learned over the years is that the meal will be done in it's own sweet time and you cannot put a dinner appointment on it. I always allow at least a half a day extra when inviting guests over for lo/slo cooked food. It can always be re-heated or kept warm.[p]Good luck with the tight schedule.[p]
  • Gfw
    Options
    08_20_0010_58_01.jpg
    <p />Follow-up - the picture speaks for itself! Cooking time 3:30pm yesterday to 10:30am this morning - about 19 hours, but well worth the results!

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ [/ul]
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Gfw, As you know I'm still learning. What do you mean by pulling? Boston butts are sale here for 89 cents a lb. I thought I could afford to try one at that price. A side note. My BGE has been cooking for over 24 hours and River City Beef Jerky. I made a batch and ate most but gave a few samples out. One of my employees is going on a long fishing trip and asked me to cook him some. Sure, I said. He brought me over 15 lbs. to cook.[p]Thanks,[p]CWM

• Gfw
    Options
    PP_040900_120001.jpg
    <p />Car Wash Mike, after a few (18-20) hours on the BGE, a Boston butt will hit about 200 degrees - merely take it off the grill and (I use 2 forks) to totally shred the butt – the result is Pulled Pork – served with BBQ sauce in a bun – PURE HEAVEN! It is a Southern delicacy.[p]If there is any extra, place it in sealed plastic bags and freeze. When you are ready for more, merely pull it out and place it in the nuke machine at 30% power for about 5-6 minutes.[p]Try it; you’ll definitely like it.[p]Check out the link or goto my web site and click on today! Have fun.[p]

[ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Gfw,[p]Supurb job and picture perfect as always! How was the misquite flavor this time?

• Gfw
    Options
    Bob, in all honesty - I had one little sandwich for breakfast and did't really taste it (kind of under the weather ad nothing really tastes good) - it was really for dinner tonight.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Gfw,[p]I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Hope you shake it really fast. Maybe your wife could review it for you and make a report on how good it is :~)