Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast Tomorrow - 4 pounds and hopeful this time it won't be dry

Options
Going to try a boneless chuck roast tomorrow for pulled beef and hoping for better results.  Going mostly on what I've seen written up by Mattman3969  So, put some rub on, indirect, drip pan underneath putting on the egg at 250 grate temp in the morning.  Wait until about 160 internal and when it is stalling.  Add about a cup of worcestershire and beef broth wrapping in foil.  Bump to 350 and start checking when it gets above 200 until it is probing like a boston butt, buttah.
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Oh and then let sit an hour.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You have a solid plan. What rub are you using?? I would easily say you it will be on the egg 4 1/2 - 5hrs before you wrap but then it goes fast, maybe 1 1/2 hrs till done but don't go off time. It will get that same "buttah" feeling you get from pork and if it is a really good piece of beef it will jiggle like jello. If you have questions during the cook don't hesitate to ask. This will be a fun cook with moist excellent results.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Going to use an all purpose rub guy here in town makes.  Yeah I was thinking 6 hours or so, but again, cook until done.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    When you go to foil, it works to just put the chuck in a pan and cover with foil (with the appropriate braising liquid).

NOLA
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'm no expert by any means but I have a theory that chuck roasts and beef roasts can be the one of the most difficult cooks to get right without drying out. And I think a lot of it depends on location and weather. I've had many good results using a cast iron dutch oven after the initial smoke with some braising liquid til at temp.  But there are so many ways to accomplish what you are going for. Good luck and hope it turns out fantastic. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HunterGatherer
    Options
    Are you going to use an injection?
    Lawrence 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One thought from the few times I have done- I have a theory on trying to pull. It's like brisket and if it won't pull its underdone not over- thoughts from guys that have done more?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Cook it in a pan.  Put some liquid like beer, or even water to about 1/4 the height of the meat.  After the first 3 hours, flip it every hour.  All will be well...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    One thought from the few times I have done- I have a theory on trying to pull. It's like brisket and if it won't pull its underdone not over- thoughts from guys that have done more?
    Agree. but chuck tends to run higher if you are monitoring temp. It won't pull until 205-210.
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the plan is solid.  Here is a great recipe:
    http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

It is similar to what you are doing.  I have done this several times and it has never failed to turn out excellent.  

Just my $.02, but I would consider trying a pepper or salt and pepper rub.  There is something about it that just works on beef.  I use a coffee grinder to grind up mass quantities of whole peppercorns. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I think the plan is solid.  Here is a great recipe:
    http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html

It is similar to what you are doing.  I have done this several times and it has never failed to turn out excellent.  

Just my $.02, but I would consider trying a pepper or salt and pepper rub.  There is something about it that just works on beef.  I use a coffee grinder to grind up mass quantities of whole peppercorns. 

Man I'd like that, but alas my family doesn't like onions or green peppers.  I might do the salt and pepper rub that's a good idea over a regular rub like I use on butts.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I've made this recipe a dozen times and it always comes out great.  I don't use the bacon but I'm sure that would make it better for those that eat bacon:

http://dizzypigbbq.com/portfolio/clays-pulled-beef-by-clay-roberts/

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    One other thing you might want to dois raise the drip pan off the plate setter to keep the liquids from evaporating too quick. 

My last pulled beef I thought was great, but the Mrs thought was dry. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Stidrvr
    Options
    Food for thought here, the last time I did a chuck roast, I wrapped it in foil. There was so much liquid in the foil it was overflowing. I didn't add anything either, so maybe consider and aluminum pan?
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    I do have it in a foil pan, thought that was easier than wrapping in foil.  Getting close now 205 probing for doneness, so far just the edge is like buttah.
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    My last one went till 215 before I got that buttah feeling in over 90% of it. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    My last one went till 215 before I got that buttah feeling in over 90% of it. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!!
    Oh it's looking yummy.  I didn't put quite enough lump in and had a hard time getting it to 350 after the stall, which was right at 149 degrees according to my maverick.   So after it get's to buttah just let it sit for an hour like in a warm oven or something?
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Once it is wrapped up tight, no problem finishing in the oven if you need to. If it is probing like buttah, no need to, just let it rest or FTC if needed to hold until dinner, or just pull right away.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Cook it in a pan.  Put some liquid like beer, or even water to about 1/4 the height of the meat.  After the first 3 hours, flip it every hour.  All will be well...

wise advice. If you have a cast iron Dutch oven, that works. Lots of times I sear the meat first. Then let it perk in the pot.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    Well that went pretty well, despite my not loading enough lump in the egg.  Started to lose heat right when the meat hit about 205, so transferred to oven inside.  It was close to being done, and already covered so not like I was going to miss out on any smoke anyway.  I used a garlic/pepper rub that I wish had more salt.  Next time, salt/pepper rub.  Turned out pretty well though.  Chuckie right out of the oven and some shredded chuckie.  One other thing I probably should have done is maybe flip the chuckie once in a while in the pan?  

Thanks all for good advice as always!
    Gregg
    Marietta, GA
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    One other thing I probably should have done is maybe flip the chuckie once in a while in the pan?  

Thanks all for good advice as always!
    Tried to tell you... ;)
    Flipping it, and keeping some liquid is a hybrid bbq-braise cook that works well for chuck.  You should use a smaller pan and keep the liquid level about 1/4 to 1/2 way up the side of the meat.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @doofusoftheday - that looks really good!!! Now that you got the first good one out of the way it's time to play. Try one with beef broth and pepperoncini peppers and some of the pepper juice. It is awesome!!! Congrats on beating the chuckie!!!

analyze adapt overcome