Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burger question

Options
Bootheel Egger
Bootheel Egger Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this may sound silly but burgers are one of the things I have the toughest time cooking on the egg. First off, I try to cook them at about 450-500 direct. If the lid is closed there is a tremendous amount of smoke pouring out(I assume from the fat drippings) and when I open the lid the flare ups are so bad it is hard to keep things from charring too bad. Don't get me wrong, I like a little bit of char, but mine seem to get too much. Is there a happy medium I can reach to make these less frustrating? I have never tried an indirect setup for them because everything I seem to read on here is direct. Thanks for any advice you can give on this "simple" cook.[p]BE

Comments

• Bootheel Egger,
    I use a grate extender and cook them at 300-350 until done. They stay very moist and my family really loves them.[p]Rob

• smokeydrew
    Options
    Bootheel Egger,[p]I've changed my method to a slow cook @ about 250-300*, on a raised grid with some cherry wood for smoke. It helps if the burgers are nice and thick. [p]Nice thing about burgers is that w/ the cost of ground beef, it's cheap to experiment.[p]-smokeydrew
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    I have only done them once, now we have the burn ban, but I cooked 1/2 pound burgers, medium thickness, took my dome up to about 600 with a pile of lump that was about 1" above the air holes or so. I put them in with dampers wide open on direct grill for about 3 minutes, flipped them and closed both dampers for about 10 minutes, took flashback precautions and pulled them off. The one in the center was just a little more done on the outside than I like, but perfect for others in the family. All the rest were perfect. I put one on the grill fresh when I flipped all the others, it was cooked all the way through as well and one side had no grill marks, the other was nicely marked, so I would think you could just put them in at 600 and shut the dampers for about 10 minutes if you want to.

Happy egging!
  • TulsaMurph
    Options
    I ended up with this on here twice and have not figured out how to delete it yet.
  • tn slagamater
    Options
    Bootheel Egger, try them at 250 degrees ; really juicy burgers, even for egg standards low temps produce very moist patties....maybe a quick sear at the end????