Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dog House Heater?

Options
With winter approaching I have a need for a dog house heater. 

My dog Sam is pretty big. He weighs about 70 or so pounds. Living in Georgia it doesn't get that cold, but it gets cold enough that we bring in him into the garage at night when it is cold, but a lot of mornings when I leave for work it is in the teens or lower 20's. 

My kids don't like Sam going from a warm garage to a cold doghouse. Sam doesn't like it either. He wants to stay in the garage, but when mother nature calls he needs to be outside. 

Right now he house is a big igloo with cedar chips in the floor. He loves it, but I know he is cold. I am thinking of buying or making a wood house for him and putting some form of heat in for him. 

He is only 6, but I love the old boy and want him warm. Any advice would be appreciated.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I knew this was coming. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    If I could get my dog from stealing the covers I'd be thrilled
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    My Dobes are part of our family thus share the central heat and air of the house. Free to use the couch and no need for electronic collars. Sorry no help.
    Jacksonville FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I used to put the doghouse on 2x6s and put a 60 watt light bulb under it. It would provide plenty of heat for my doberman and my beagles. Just make sure he can't get to it or the wires !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dldawes1
    Options
    yeah....why sugar-coat it !!!

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Sam sure is a beautiful dog. One challenge to heating his house will be to not get it so warm that it dries his skin out. The humidity will already be pretty low. On a full stomach Sam can generate a good deal of heat on his own in an insulated dog house with the doorway covered with overlapping tarps or some type of a flap to keep the wind out and Sams body heat in. A thick bed of cedar chips or similar bedding also helps. It might actually be better for Sam sleep in his house full time and not be in a warm garage all night and then be put out into a 20 degree bed. Scratch his ears for me :)
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Yeah @Dobie like @dldawes1 said why sugar coat it? 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Dobie said:

My Dobes are part of our family thus share the central heat and air of the house. Free to use the couch and no need for electronic collars. Sorry no help.

Why not just call me a douchebag next time? 

John, you're a douchebag. ;)

(Am I doing this right?)
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @Eggcelsior you are doing it right. I would prefer that the insulter tell me that though. 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    If he's a chewer.... It'll be difficult to do anything electrical inside. I was thinking a heating element of some sort..... I know I've seen a panel style heater that is sold for bathrooms that provides radiant heat to the room. That might work.

If you build it, use some sort of insulation on the sides and bottom as well as the top. Maybe some sort of curtain style door like on loading docks??

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ok. First off I'm a dog lover big time. I'm in FL so other than Noreasters, TS & Hurricanes we don't see much cold weather. I have a buddy that does open & closed cell foam insulation and a small house with this would keep your furry family member toasty in the winter and cool in the summer. And it would be a simple as a 2x6 or 2x8 wall with lean to roof sprayed and a magnetic flap door.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Light bulb is a good idea, but it'll be difficult to get incandescent bulbs soon......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've seen people put coffee cans with a few holes around the bulb.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @TEXASWIG....yep, I actually forgot about that part!!!!  I am getting old I guess !!

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I would like to say thank you very much for those that gave helpful replies. 

Now concerning @Dobie you comment was out of line and not appreciated. I don't owe you an explanation, but I will be more courteous than you were. I love my dog. My wife is very allergic to dogs and for that reason he can't come into the house. 

He has a shock collar on because he has a 3 acre yard in the middle of town. I don't want him roaming and possibly getting hit by a car or getting into a fight with other dogs.  The collar is for his protection.

I posted this in order to try and get help so that I can keep him warm because I do love him and care about his well being. He was a rescue out of a litter of 6, and he is the only one that made it longer than a year. 

Your comment slamming me insinuates that I don't love my dog because I don't keep him inside and keep a shock collar on him. You can't be further from the truth. 

I would also like to tell you that I will bet hard earned cash that you wouldn't say that to my face. At least not more than once. You can take that anyway you want to. It is easy to make snide comments when you are on the internet. 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    FWIW I use a heat lamp on my well house in "hard freezes". Never had an issue. I'm sure this would help. OR he could just go inside with his family ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Was thinking of a heating element of sort with a shroud around it for protection. You may have to make your boy a new house though for this adder.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am going to make a new wood house for him. 

• NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ I don't believe Brian was attempting to be disrespectful. I also have a "shock collar" invisible fence company and a chain link 6' fence. Malinois are an extremely high drive breed and unfortunately I have lost them/ others in the past due to incoming storms and Camp Blanding artillery activity. Other than that she's in bed with us at night. If your wife is allergic it is perfectly understandable. Again pretty darn sure dobie meant nothing personal by this. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    I would like to say thank you very much for those that gave helpful replies. 

Now concerning @Dobie you comment was out of line and not appreciated. I don't owe you an explanation, but I will be more courteous than you were. I love my dog. My wife is very allergic to dogs and for that reason he can't come into the house. 

He has a shock collar on because he has a 3 acre yard in the middle of town. I don't want him roaming and possibly getting hit by a car or getting into a fight with other dogs.  The collar is for his protection.

I posted this in order to try and get help so that I can keep him warm because I do love him and care about his well being. He was a rescue out of a litter of 6, and he is the only one that made it longer than a year. 

Your comment slamming me insinuates that I don't love my dog because I don't keep him inside and keep a shock collar on him. You can't be further from the truth. 

I would also like to tell you that I will bet hard earned cash that you wouldn't say that to my face. At least not more than once. You can take that anyway you want to. It is easy to make snide comments when you are on the internet. 

and you were doing so good ....until...
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @sodigthisbigcrux‌ that's passion for his buddy talking. I totally get it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Hey john, call me tomorrow. I've got an idea that involves a new dog house, and an oil filled electric heater.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I agree with those who recommend providing a well insulated dog house.  Dogs generate lots of heat, and with the right insulation, they can stay warm.  They make dog beds out of memory foam.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Many many many moons ago (in NE)we used hay and batted insulation at the roof line and walls along with heated water bowls for our hunting bird dogs. It was quite cozy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL his mention of electric collars has nothing to do with staying warm. It sure seemed like an insult to me. He hasn't come back to say that it wasn't. 

@sodigthisbigcrux why did that put you off? I meant it. I say what is on my mind and Husker is correct I took it personal because I do care about my dog, and I was pissed. 

I don't apologize for what I said. I meant it then, and I mean it now. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ ,

You sir, are a large douche bag.

Sincerely,

Henapple

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN