Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats: The simple things

Options
I've tried out a number of different things since I got my egg (ribs, brisket, shoulder), but haven't done many simple cooks.  I'm doing fresh brats tonight.  What is everyone's favorite way to do them?  Direct, indirect, CI pan?  Time, temp, cooking type?  Looking for some good tips.  

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I like a bed of onions, some beer and low temps, <300ºF. They will steam and if you don't cover them up, they will start to brown without splitting. This is a personal size plate of a store bought brat. 

EDIT - that's taters au gratin under the brats. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    Options

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • squezz
    Options
    I read that earlier today.  About how long did that take to cook in total?
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I like a bed of onions, some beer and low temps, <300ºF. They will steam and if you don't cover them up, they will start to brown without splitting. This is a personal size plate of a store bought brat. 

EDIT - that's taters au gratin under the brats. 
    This guys got it. All I do different is add some butter to the mix and then cook direct for a few mins once they're done for some char. Total cook time is maybe 30-45 mins. 
  • squezz
    Options
    I think I see that plate setter under there.  Do you cook them indirect?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you are talking to me - yep, indirect, if not ignore......
    @cheeaa - butter in the pan with the onions and beer - if they need browning further, just baste and good to go. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I like a little char my brotha. But they do get a decent browning regardless. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, but I've never found that beer or boiling of any kind enhances a REALLY GOOD brat.  In fact, if you start with a great brat (Johnsonville Original is my favorite, but some of the local German places make some good brats as well) I think that cooking them in beer essentially just waters them down.  This was reaffirmed for me last weekend at a friend's house.  So, I like to cook them raised direct at 275 - 300.  Any higher than that and they tend to burst.  By exposing them to radiant heat while keeping the temp on the low side, they tend to brown nicely on the outside while cooking to doneness on the inside - without bursting if you take them off at the right time.

I am certainly not anti-beer or anti-onion in general, but I haven't seen them improve a good brat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Me too, I've done it with sauerkraut and with onions and peppers. I prefer the sauerkraut, but my wife won't even let me open the stuff in the house.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Foghorn said:

So, I like to cook them raised direct at 275 - 300.  Any higher than that and they tend to burst.  By exposing them to radiant heat while keeping the temp on the low side, they tend to brown nicely on the outside while cooking to doneness on the inside - without bursting if you take them off at the right time.

That's how I like to do them, but yeah, I never seem to get the timing right, burst-topia (I think I actually have better luck with briskets than I do brats).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Try something different. Smoke em low and slow (about 235 - 250) with apple wood until they reach 185 degrees internal. Then eat tasty brats!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options

Direct, raised grate, dome temp 300-350, turn often, NEVER poke and break the casing.

In my experience/opinion cooking in beer or other liquid gives them a nasty texture. 

Serve on a Sheboygan Hardroll, with a nice spicy brown mustard, and thin sliced onions, maybe some kraut, with my mom's German Potato Salad...growing up this was just about a weekly dinner on Saturday night, some of my best memories of my childhood was being outside with my dad durning a snowstorm, me playing in the snow and him (I'm going to say it) fryin brat on the old Weber kettle in his big-ass parka drinking a Manhattan.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    lwrehm said:

Direct, raised grate, dome temp 300-350, turn often, NEVER poke and break the casing.

How do you check the temp?

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Options
    lwrehm said:

How do you check the temp?
    I don't, do it all by feel.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I always hate to check mine because all of the juice that runs out when I do. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I like to do mine in a CI pan with sauerkraut. Maybe a bit o' beer if I have some handy. Grill 'em up a bit when they are almost done.

But then again, I also like to do them direct

But my favorite way to do them is to just make them myself.

Look how juicy!

image =P~

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings