Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt or Pork Shoulder?

Rob H
Rob H Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have done a few 5 lb. or so Boston Butts for pulled pork with great success. When were in grocery store yesterday looking at another B.B., the meat dept. guy suggested using a pork shoulder. He said that it would be a leaner piece of meat. The good thing was they were on sale and I picked up a 9-3/4 lb job. I started it a 3:30 yesterday afternoon and it's now going on 10:30 a.m. and the Polder says 178. [p]I'm soon to find out how this cut will be. This has the heavy skin on one side and the bone, where the B.B.'s don't. I was curious as to what to expect and is there anything I should do differently for pulling it apart.[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Rob H,[p]I think you are about to have a treat. The shoulder is a little different from the BB in that it has ham as well as butt meat together. I think the butcher may have been a little off base when he told you it was leaner as I have always found it to be the opposite. [p]Use all the same methods as you would for the BB including the pulling when finished. I have always enjoyed the shoulder over the BB when I can find a good one. Let us know how how it turns out and how you like it compared to a BB.[p]Bob

• Rob H, I agree with Bob, I always use the "Picnic" cut. That's what they are labeled here. We seldom see a BB., but that suits me fine. I have found the picnic roasts to be fatter than BB's but more tender and tastier.

• Rob H, A whole pork shoulder consist of two distinct parts 1) the butt (commonly referred to as a 'boston' butt and 2) the picnic. It has nothing to do with a ham, although a whole ham does have a part also called a butt as well as a shank. For whatever its worth, in KCBS contests, which are judged primarily for flavor and tenderness, the 'boston' butt is nearly always chosen as the pork entry by the cooking teams.