Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swimming with Jalapenos

I've got a boatload of Jalapenos I need to do something with long term. The family can only eat so many ABTs. What do you all do? Freezing makes them mush when they thaw.

Hot sauce? Sure. Who has a good recipe?

Jalapeno Jam? I'd give that a rip. Who has a good recipe?

Smoke them? Can I keep the Egg that low for 14hrs (125-150 deg)?

Advice is greatly appreciated!! 

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating

Comments

• Roast them til they are black on the egg
    • Put them in a bag to cool and make the skin peel easily
    • Remove charred skin-seeds-membrane
    • Blend with a little garlic-salt-olive oil
    • Blend in some sour cream if it is too spicy
    Makes a killer hot sauce that is good alone or on fish
    BGE in the ATX
  • Good idea Thievery...

Anyone else?

Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • cut I half, take seed and membrane out, freeze.  then you can pull take out as many as you need for  poppers.  works great for us.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Pico de gallo. Roast some onions, tomatoes and jalapenos caveman style. Chop up and add some lime juice and cilantro and seaon to taste with salt and pepper.

Roast 'em up like you would any other pepper, peel them, take the stem and seeds out and freeze them. I've done this with japs and hatch chiles. I did so many hatch chiles I still have some from AUg '13 that are still good to mix in with spicy foods.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    mrs wages bread and butter peppers, great on burgers, taste like candy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bojangles
    Bojangles Posts: 118
    edited September 2014

Griffin said:

Roast 'em up like you would any other pepper, peel them, take the stem and seeds out and freeze them. I've done this with japs and hatch chiles. I did so many hatch chiles I still have some from AUg '13 that are still good to mix in with spicy foods.

I agree with ^^^.  Hatch is just about an hour and a half North of me.  I do this once a year.  I like to leave some seeds hangin' around the chiles though.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • The first thing I thought of:  @Dyal_SC's Jalamango Lime Wings!  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • So you guys don't have any problems with peppers turning to mush when the thaw? All of mine did last year. I had to puree them to use them.
    Didn't mean to sound sexist with the "guys" thing, Kristi.
    :D
    Didn't mean to sound sexist with the "guys" thing, Kristi.
    :D
    Haha!  I use "you guys" all the time and never thought twice about it.  :)
    Regarding freezing them: I think they hold their texture better if you freeze them raw. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    Kristi is one of the guys... :((

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Well, I did freeze mine raw. Used my FoodSaver and the good bags too. Leaning towards hot sauce/marinade right now.

• I did a quick Google:  

"Blanche them for 2-3 minutes in boiling water and then drop them in freezing water. From what I've read, this destroys a particular enzyme that helps not break the pepper down further. I've done this and not done this - and doing it definitely helps on the texture."

Also, I like to keep compound butters in my freezer for quick dinners.  Maybe you could make a few of those with the sauces and marinades?  Jalapeño lime, jalapeño garlic, jalapeño pesto, etc.  (now I sound like Bubba Gump. ;)
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I tried making a hot sauce with my excess last summer.  I used the Tabasco Sauce ingredients list as a "recipe" (with the pepper substitution): white vinegar, salt, and the jalapenos, whirled in a blender, let set in the frig for a couple weeks, then strained into a bottle.  
    It wasn't very good.  I know the Tabasco folks age theirs in oak barrels, maybe I'll dump in a box of toothpicks next time.  :D

There won't be a next time; I continue to grow various herbs in pots on my deck, but I've figured out I enjoy a visit to the local farmer's market every Saturday morning more than I enjoy gardening (and I'm not too successful with gardening in the first place).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thanks for the info, Kristi. Laughed out loud (yes, I don't do "LOL") at Botch. Toothpick, match sticks..it's all the same...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Shucks. I was hoping this title was literal.
  • Thievery:  I noticed you live in Austin too.  Is this sauce recipe similar to the Salsa Dona at Taco Deli?  Sure sounds like it.  That stuff is addictive!!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Thievery:  I noticed you live in Austin too.  Is this sauce recipe similar to the Salsa Dona at Taco Deli?  Sure sounds like it.  That stuff is addictive!!!
    Sure is!  I've known Roberto who started Taco Deli and kind of gleaned the info from him over the years.  Not exactly like theirs, but darn close!

Stuff is SO addictive.
    BGE in the ATX
  • @Thievery:  Lucky you!  Thanks for sharing.  My husband picks up Taco Deli breakfast tacos probably 3 days a week.  He always picks me up some for the next day, with 2 tubs of dona sauce. You didn't mention roasting the peppers first.  Do you make it with them raw?  The one time I made it at home, I roasted the peppers and didn't take the seeds out.  I can eat most any hot stuff, but this was thermonuclear!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • @Thievery:  Sorry, I was mistaken.  I was confusing your recipe with another one I came across tonight.  You DID say to roast them first.
    Kelley 
  • Ya know, I like the pickle idea for my first bag full. I'll have another bag full before the season is out and I'll do something else. Thanks everyone! Now, what to have for chow this weekend....