Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side dishes with Beer Can Chicken

Options
I am doing a couple beer can chickens (my wife's request) on Thursday for company we have coming.  Does anyone have any suggestions of good side dishes which can be done on the Egg while the chicken is on as well?

Thanks.  

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms, baked potatoes, asparagus drizzled with EVOO and choice of spices, corn on the cobb,...  Good luck and enjoy!!!
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    A few things come to mind.  Asparagus, brussell sprouts and/or corn (if you can still get fresh on the cob). 

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GaryLange
    Options
    Corn on the cob and baked potatoes.
  • apfroggy0408
    apfroggy0408 Posts: 99
    edited September 2014
    Options
    You can cook up some potato chips with the chicken too.

I like to slice up taters thin, rub with EVOO and then sprinkle some Dizzy Dust.

A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Twice bakers are easy - bake the spuds before the chicken hits the grill, take spuds off put chicken on. Prepare the spuds while the chicken is cooking and then return spuds for 20 minutes to rewarm either while chicken is finishing or resting. 

Great tip for whole chicken in the egg is to not use the beer can, use a stand and invert the chickens - put 'em feet up, neck on the stand (assumes an indirect cook). The egg is hotter high in the dome and this lets the dark leg/thigh meat cook at a higher temp (finish at 170º) than the breasts (finish at 160º) - exactly what you want. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Cube up some Yukon gold potatoes with mushrooms, onions, and your choice of seasoning.  Put them in a pan under the chickens.  If you get a big shallow pan you can put them on the plate setter with some spacers under the pan so they don't burn on the bottom. You may consider giving the taters a bit of a head start.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GreenWave36
    Options
    Cube up some Yukon gold potatoes with mushrooms, onions, and your choice of seasoning.  Put them in a pan under the chickens.  If you get a big shallow pan you can put them on the plate setter with some spacers under the pan so they don't burn on the bottom. You may consider giving the taters a bit of a head start.  
    what kind of spacers would i use?  I assume you mean to put between the platesetter and the shallow pan with the potatoes?
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    A few things come to mind.  Asparagus, brussell sprouts and/or corn (if you can still get fresh on the cob). 
    would i just put the asparagus on the cooking grid indirect?  approx how long does it take?  What temp would you recommend doing everything at - I have read temps anywhere from 350-400 for beer can chicken?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2014
    Options
    what kind of spacers would i use?  I assume you mean to put between the platesetter and the shallow pan with the potatoes?
    The simplest thing that you likely have on hand is balls of aluminum foil.  I have a 12.5 inch round "steamer rack" with little legs that fits nicely on my plate setter.  Copper T's, stainless nuts, etc. You just want something so the bottom of the pan isn't sitting on the hot plate setter.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    what about a nice bottle(2-4) of white wine 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Bojangles
    Options
    cook861 said:
    what about a nice bottle(2-4) of white wine 
    There we go!  ...and Pinot Noir goes great with chicken if you'd rather have red.
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    would i just put the asparagus on the cooking grid indirect?  approx how long does it take?  What temp would you recommend doing everything at - I have read temps anywhere from 350-400 for beer can chicken?
    I have a rectangular veggie cooker that has a mesh screen on the bottom (works great with seafood too).  Sorry but no pic handy.  At 350, asparagus takes about 10 mins doing indirect.  I drizzle with EVOO and a little DP Raging River.  I usually shoot for 350 when doing chicken.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Baby red potatoes wrapped in bacon. ..seriously.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I find that bottled beer goes good with beer can chicken. That way you are covering all of your basic beer groups.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX