Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket-dialed in, then lost it, finally found it

My first two briskets were fantastic. Great bark, moist and melt in your mouth tender. Then the next few weren't.

I reread a bunch of posts, did a bunch of searching and finally decided I was cooking too low for too long. I was starting at 225 and kept it there over night and then bumped it up to 250 in the morning. The briskets were taking too long (over 2 hours per pound) and were too dry.

Today I woke up early and put the brisket on at 265. The IT moved FAST to about 140, then slowed down and finally hit the stall around 160. Stayed there for about two hours and then began to climb. When I was sure it was out of the stall (at 170) I bumped the temp to 275.

7 pound brisket went on at 6:30 and hit 195 around 3:30. I FTC'd for an hour, separated the point for burnt ends and put the flat back in the cooler til 6:30.

Turned out exactly what I wanted. Point was melt in your mouth tender with a crunchy bark and the flat was amazingly moist and tender.

I was cooking for 20 so too busy for pictures (cooked 3 chickens too). I apologize!. But if anyone is not happy with their brisket I'd humbly suggest bumping the temp. It worked for me.

Thanks for all the collective wisdom on this site!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice!
    Sounds good from here.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I have not yet attempted the brisket - I have done some homework and I know the two muscles are available in a single "packer".

My local Krogers sells brisket already separated - if I'm only smoking one of the muscles, which one is best for a first attempt?  I'm good with all things fowl and pork as far as smoking goes, I've made dozens of smoked dinners before and after the BGE acquisition in April 2014.

Brisket seems to me to be the motivating force behind using the Maverick dual probe 733. 

And while I have your attention, should I find a whole packer, where to put the temp probe - flat or point?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• The point is just there for the ride.  The flat requires the most attention.  Probe should be in the largest part of the flat (near the point usually).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    If I had a choice of "brisket parts" I would always opt for the point.  Much easier (more forgiving) to cook and hit the target.  I also live in Kroger land and all the ones around here sell are the flats and at around $6/lb.  Never see points unless in corned beef.  I guess the point ends up in the ground beef mix.
    Now the whole packer is what you want.  In this area Costco occasionally has then and lately they have been running around $4.15/lb.  A fun cook and great eats.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.