Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Tips.... It's a New England thing

Options
2»

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    IMHO the best steak tips in the world are at the Newbridge Cafe in Chelsea, MA...just outside of Boston.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    edited September 2014
    Options
    always wondered why i never see steak tip cooks on the forum, i mostly buy them for fishing trips for the convenience but the markets compete up here for the best tips and use the best meats fine tuning the marinades to the different cuts. ive seen some strong arguments for who has the best, almost to fists
    :)) Haverhill Beef has the best
     :D:D:D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    those whole steak tips (flap steak) in the supermarket are good to, used to be always cheap, marinate, cook whole, served in a split top bun. i was probably a teenager before i knew there was other cuts of steak, actually got in trouble by my mom for picking up  cheap chewy porterhouse for company one night when i was a kid, she wanted me to pick up something good
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @RRP - just kidding with the white wine comment having spent two years in Villa Park Il. understand why you chose a chilled wine - but ever tried a Lambrusco (if you like it spritzy) a Beaujolais or a Zinfandel? All reds and can be served chilled. Made to be paired with the fine looking meal you have on that nice looking porch.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    I just talking to some New Englanders the other day and saying there aren't steak tips on menus down here. We need to bring them down to Georgia.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• fishlessman
    Options
    just put some in some sweet  bourbon sriracha marinade for tonight
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2014
    Options

just put some in some sweet  bourbon sriracha marinade for tonight
    :D

Talk to us about this marinade. Are we talking just straight bourbon, honey, and sriracha in roughly equal amounts?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    edited September 2014
    Options
    1/4 cup makers
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup soy
    2 tbsp sriracha
    tbsp worcester
    tbls grainy dijon
    tsp corn starch
    1 big dried ancho broken up with seeds.
    4 long strips of flap meat

some for tonight, some for tomorrow, new recipe to me and i couldnt follow the one i found
    :))
    fukahwee maine

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    We are omnivores.  Our best diet is a mixture of meat and fruit and veggies.
    Our closest genetic cousin, the chimpanzee, is also an omnivore.
    Anyone who claims otherwise is ignoring scientific evidence.
    As for the cat lover, excuse me, but dogs are also genetically carnivores as is evidenced by the number of cats my dogs have eaten.
    @Zmokin, dogs are facultative carnivores while cats are obligate(true) carnivores. Cats do not possess the physiological ability to process non-animal nutrition. I can't really comment on the dog eating cat thing. Last dog that snagged one of my cats is dead. :-??
    Dog:
    Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Carnivora
    Family: Canidae
    Genus: Canis
    Species: C. lupus
    Subspecies: C. l. familiaris[1]

Cat:

Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Animalia
    Phylum: Chordata
    Class: Mammalia
    Order: Carnivora
    Family: Felidae
    Genus: Felis
    Species: F. catus

Both cats and dogs are in the Order Carnivora.
    Both are true carnivores.  Dogs may be able to digest non-meat items better than cats, but they are genetically carivores through & through.  In the wild, they hunt and kill meat to survive, they do not go around picking fruits and berries.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @zmokin, They don't pick berries?

Yes, dogs are carnivores. They are not true, or obligate, carnivores. In fact, members of the Order Carnivora can be carnivores, omnivores, and even herbivores(Giant Panda). True carnivores(cats, seals, walrus, dolphins) depend exclusively on nutrients in meat to survive. They cannot synthesize them from plant materials, whereas dogs can. For example, Vitamin A is a necessary nutrient for both dogs and cats. A source of Vitamin A is beta-carotene, which is found in orange or red fruits and vegetables, like carrots and sweet potatoes. Present a dog and cat with a sweet potato. For the dog to get the Vitamin A, they just need to eat the sweet potato. For the cat to get the Vitamin A, they have to eat the dog after the dog eats and digests the sweet potato. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    oh no you di int
    Options
    I love this science sh*t!!!!  KEEP GOING!!! 

MOAR!
    MOAR!!!
    MOAR!!!!!
    Options
    GIVE ME MY VITAMIN A, BITCHES!!!  THAT COW ATE SUM!!!
    Options
    Dogs are not true carnivores. Cats are. Just means dogs can survive on more options than cats.
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Those bad boys would bring tears to Tom Brady's eyes. Then again that isn't too hard to do. =)) Sorry I couldn't help myself. :P

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    MJG said:

IMHO the best steak tips in the world are at the Newbridge Cafe in Chelsea, MA...just outside of Boston.

I grew up on the same street about 10 houses up from it :D
  • canegger
    Options
    Never seen a coyote or a wolf eat any veggies
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    canegger said:

Ive never seen giraffes have sex.
    Jacksonville FL
  • canegger
    Options
    Dobie said:

canegger said:

Dobie said:

canegger said:

The day you have a wolf in your bsck yard eating your veggies let me know. They sure don't around here
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We had a dog that ate lettuce.  His name was Milhouse.
    Sorry for going ot there @phatchris it looks delicious man
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    My wife got me eating salad by having me cook steak and then thin slicing it, putting it in with feta cheese, red onion and croutons. We use Kens Creamy Parmesan with Cracked Peppercorn dressing. It's good stuff @SGH!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • DieselkW
    Options
    I don't remember who said it: "Salad is what food eats"  I've watched cats graze on grass, they seem to need it for some reason, if only to puke it up in my slippers.

Cats have the ability to make their own vitamin C from proteins. No idea how I know this, some stuff just gets stuck in my filter and I repeat it later.

Best cat diet includes bones - there are some necessary nutrients in the bones of prey animals that would be part of their diet if their food didn't come in a can. It is possible to buy, for canines and felines, ground up rabbit, no fur.

Just throwing my two cents into this thread. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    @MJG‌ I agree... There's also a place called Floramo's in Chelsea that pretty good. I came from Eastie myself and now live down south.
  • Phatchris
    Options
    anzyegg said:

@MJG‌ I agree... There's also a place called Floramo's in Chelsea that pretty good. I came from Eastie myself and now live down south.

Floramo's where the meat falls off the bone does indeed have great tips... For Eastie Kelly Square Pub does a fine job.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited September 2014
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    I don't remember who said it: "Salad is what food eats"  
    I don't know whether or not he coined that term, but I remember Redd Foxx used it in one of the Sanford & Son shows.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Phatchris
    edited May 2019
    Options

Oops, didn’t mean to respond to this thread... my bad

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options

Around here, both Costco and BJs carry Flap Steak in cryovac packages. Bjs has it on sale for $5.99/pound

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA