Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Camp in NOLA!!!

Options

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

henapple said:

I have a unit.

Small or a mini?

Mini Max....raised direct...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Isn't unit #1a ceramic cooker? CT mentioned that it was ceramic sandwiched with 1/4 inch steel.
  • Kdp
    Kdp Posts: 10
    Options
    I am Piney's Sous Chef. I have learned so much about cooking from him over the years. He has raved about all the food and fun in New Orleans. Can't wait to try so of the things he learned.
    Asheboro, N.C.
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    SGH for President! I wish I could have made it to Brisket Camp. It sounds like a bunch of good folks that just love to cook and have fun.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌
    Brother I absolutely love the shot you did with me and brother Mixon!! That is way cool!! Thanks. I'm saving that one!!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    Brother Egg, let me clarify. The outside wall is 1/4 inch carbon steel. The inside wall is 1/4 inch stainless steel. Between these two walls is a 2 gap that is filled with a cast able refractory that is rated to 5,800 degrees. So once the refractory is poured, you have a 2 and 1/2 solid wall, roof and floor. A formidable unit without question or doubt my friend. Even when running the unit as high as 420 degrees, I can safely lick spilled meat juice off of the outside wall without burning my tongue. No joke. I have done it several times with no burn or injury. The wife gets mad when I lick the unit, but so be it. I love the juice.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    henapple said:
    Please don't lick your unit...or at least tell us about it. :((
    Is SGH Marilyn Manson??
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Talking about licking units, makes me think of this song... 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    I have a lot of habits that most folks consider to be strange or nasty if you will. When you grow up poor you kind of pick up bad etiquette habits. Now that I have a little money, Im still that fellow at heart that grew up poor just this side of Mobile Al. I will be licking pans and smokers to the very end my friend. I am what I am. And I wouldn't change it for the world.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When I'm eating BBQ, I do it like a starving cave man.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Agreed sir.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    How do y'all superimpose pics like this? I have seen you do it a lot. Thanks in advance.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    henapple said:
    Please don't lick your unit...or at least tell us about it. :((
    Apple...what's in YOUR mouth?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH you are one down to earth ole country boy,and Party Monster is the same way, and you can sure tell he had good raising by the way he respects you and other people, that my friend is a direct reflection on his upbringing. "Always be yourself you'll never be nobody else"
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • SGH
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @piney‌
    Thank you for the very kind and thoughtful words my friend. The next time you are coming through just this side of Biloxi, you be sure to pull in and see me and Party Monster. He honestly adored you my friend. As did I.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Hey @piney - glad you made it, man.

We still have one quart of moonshine left.  I'm going to pour it in my IV this weekend.  Only 9200 ug/L of copper, no other heavy metals are worrysome.  Ice and mixers dilute that down below the 1300 ug/L limit.  Taste is excellent.  Kind of a honeysuckle sweetness to it.

I stopped by my buddy's shop tonight and took a look at the fabrication on my steam punk bike.  He got some ideas mocked up.  I'll post some pictures here in a bit if anyone is interested.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    Post them. I would love to see it.

Status- Standing by.

• piney
    Options
    good luck on the bike, have a drink and think of NC mtns. Tell Jack I said hello best margaritas EVER
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Those were addictive.  We only went through 2 cases of tequila.  I have 3 more for next time.  If they last that long.
    Options
    This is just in a mock-up stage.  The seat will cantilever from the triple tree, but it will be a truss, like the rear fender, not just square tube.  There will be wood and leather, copper and brass throughout, in the steam punk style.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Options
    @nolaegghead  that bike is out of control!  I love it.  

@hotch it was nice meeting you and talking with you again wish we could have stayed longer.  I will try and weasel my way out to some of the Texas eggfests this spring.

@sgh my wife still raves about the chicken it was amazing!

Cen-Tex Smoker thanks for the best brisket slice I have ever had.  (after you cut it you said thats a good slice).  Your wife was wonderful to meet as well.

Eggcelsior it was nice meeting you 2 as well and I will look forward to the next time our paths cross. 

If any of you come to southern Utah or Nevada (las Vegas) let me know and I will be more than glad to meet up with you and buy some drinks!  I will post some pics I have in a bit now that things have settled down and we are home again.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Here's Party Monster shuckin' oystahs at my crib on Sunday after camp.   Then some shots of oysters.  Next year we'll be serving them like this.

imageimageimageimage
    Options
    Some of the attendees before it started.  I think maybe the day before. 

left to right:  Henapple, me, piney, hotch and tigertony
    Options
    riding the ferry to the event

image@sgh the amazing stuffed chicken and I believe the potato salad was from NOLA's wife (amazing stuff as well)

the wife said this was the best Margarita she had had in a long time (i forget the folks name that made it but they were on point) hand juicing limes and oranges was over the top!

• SGH
    Options
    @U_tarded‌
    I'm glad that y'all enjoyed those chickens. I put a lot of heart and soul into them. Been making those for years. They are to my knowledge a Scottie Horton original. In the late 80's while I was intoxicated I accidentally dumped our crab meat into the meat grinder. On a whim I stuffed the chicken with it out of anger and wa la. My stuffed chickens were born. What started out as a accident has now become my go to recipe for stuffed chicken. There is just a little more in them than I have admitted to thus far. But when Nola films me stuffing them I will honestly share the entire recipe in its fullest form. There might be a little bacon in there with the shrimp and crab ;) Again I'm glad that y'all enjoyed them. And meeting y'all was my honor sir.

Status- Standing by.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    oh and I am sure I met more forum members but those are just the ones I remember!  It was a whirlwind of a trip for us being we were actually on in NOLA for about 30 hours.  
  • piney
    Options
    nola you got to send me the oyster recipe, char grill directions, toppings and all 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @piney Thanks for hanging out with me. I had a great time and enjoyed your company. Next time you are around North Texas I expect you to come on over.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • piney
    Options
    same here my friend! maybe I will see you in Ga. If you are ever this way message me and I will give you my number 
    Lenoir, N.C.