Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for Med egg owners

Bubblehead
Bubblehead Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Don't think this is a problem for most large egg owners but when I recieved my egg in the nest the one side of the slide was covered by the nest. Of course it was the left side. I'm doing my first low and slow and wanted to close the side to about a half inch and don't know if I should use the actual close point or the nest. Is the nest covering the hole enough. I put the daisy wheel on at 200 and closed it to the actual closure point and the temp dropped to 180 and wouldn't go up. I now have it open past the nest but I want to go to bed and trust it not to go way up. Any simular experiances out there tonight?[p]Awhogah!
With a prayer for my Russian Mates.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    BubbleHead,
    Can you move the EGG so the slide is comepletly free? Also my prayers are with my brother Russian bubbleheads. Damn their goverments' STUPID pride.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    BubbleHead, I ahve the old style (black metal) slide and watch the position of the egg - there is just enough room for the slide to sit between any 2 of the 3 legs - I usually only move it when it (the egg) is cold.

• BubbleHead,
    If you have the latest style Egg nest, you can remedy the situation very easily! There is a single bolt holding the two Egg nest pieces together. If your looking at it from the top, it would be right in the center of the X, where the two halves cross each other. Instead of setting the nest with a perfectly formed X, elongate the X by pulling the top right closer to the bottom right and the top left closer to the bottom left. Doing this will give you enough room to open & close the bottom slide all the way, each time. It took a while for us to figure this out too, when we bought 5 new medium Eggs in May. In a perfect X configuration, the Egg will be the most stable. It will be just slightly less stable when you bring the sides together. Just a note of caution for you there![p]Good luck and hollar back if this is confusing![p]
    Dr. Chicken

• 4 O'clock Update[p]I had shut the slide to 1/4 in at the actual closure at stabilzed at 220 before I went to bed. At 4 (middle age wakeup) I checked, the polder is at 158 the fire at 130. Thought it went out so I opened to rebuild and found plently of lump left, the fire was banked that low. Kicked it back up and I'll try again. Guess that the nest is interfering and I need to move it. Seems to be stablizing back to 200 I'll check in a couple of more hours.

• JJ,
    Gonna have to move the egg I think there is enough room the other way to slove the problem. Men haved died at sea since they learned that wood floats and as you know the possibility of being rescued when you have the big accident down there is remote at best. I'm reminded of a line from an old action series I used to read, when the hero explained why he did what he did to the bad guy he said "That's the biz sweetheart!" I always thought I was safer there than anywheres else but I new that if something went really wrong there wasn't much of a chance. The couple of times that things did get a little dicy I always have thought it was our training that made the difference. Maybe the same is true of governments - I hope so. Damn it's too early for this kind of talk forgive me and goodnight.
    Awhogah!

• Dr. Chicken,
    Thanks I'll look at this again when I'm more awake.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    08_20_0005_43_01.jpg
    <p />BubbleHead, I'm better at counting in the morning and after looking again, I could see 4 legs, not 3. In the picture you can see the bottom slide stretching from one leg to the other. In fact the actual ends are under the nest, but the slide will go full length . [p]Besides seeing the rust, you can also see the vent opening that I used last night. For low and slow, I also use the old style single action daisy wheel for the top. Good luck!