Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland gasket

Options
So I've heard enough about Rutland gaskets that I decided when I need to replace my original felt on my large BGE, I'll use one.  I had some ACE gift cards to use, and I found a Rutland gasket replacement kit I just wanted to run by anybody.  I have a 5/8" 7 foot gasket with the Rutland fiberglass cement adhesive included.  (Rutland item number 95-6)  Anyone have any reason to think this wouldn't be just what I'm looking for?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sure, but you will have better luck in the long run if you pitch that tube of crap and go buy a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper...but why should I know...LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    RRP said:
    Sure, but you will have better luck in the long run if you pitch that tube of crap and go buy a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper...but why should I know...LOL
    Thanks for that, exactly what I wanted to know.  I knew you were the guy who would know.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't recall how much Ron charges, but it's 79 cents a foot at my local hardware store (non Ace). $12 seems high especially when you will toss the adhesive and buy permatex.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    curious though, and I know there's a reason.  Why use Permatex Ultra Copper instead of the tube of crap that came with the gasket?
  • FlyingTivo
    Options
    Temperature!
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Temperature!
    Interesting, since the Permatex says it's good up to 700F, and the crap tube says withstands 2000F.  I'm looking up reviews, and some people are saying this tube is crap and dries out, and I totally believe  @RRP since he seems to be the guy everyone refers to regarding these Rutland gaskets.  I guess I can't believe these product claims, big surprise.  I'm sure I'll be picking up a tube of Permatex Ultra copper before doing this replacement.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    2 reasons not to use the included adhesive.

1 - Shelf life. If it has been stocked for awhile it is not as effective.

2 - It is designed to bond to metal, doesn't bond to ceramic well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    curious though, and I know there's a reason.  Why use Permatex Ultra Copper instead of the tube of crap that came with the gasket?
    The Rutland adhesive is latex and unless you are very careful, work in the shade on a cool day and work carefully it has a tendency to dry too quickly before it can grab the ceramic pores and the the gasket as well. I had one with a Rutland latex last me for 5 years so I know it can be done, but not everyone wants to take all the effort - but suit yourself - 
  • revolver1
    Options
    Why reinvent the wheel, Ultra Copper works and works very well.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    2 reasons not to use the included adhesive. 1 - Shelf life. If it has been stocked for awhile it is not as effective. 2 - It is designed to bond to metal, doesn't bond to ceramic well.

It used to be that the code crimped in the end of the Rutland adhesive could be deciphered so you knew how old it was. Then several years ago they changed the coding so the only way to find out was to call technical service. Otherwise you had to try to squeeze the blister package to see if the adhesive felt hard. Due to that hit and miss plus my eating several tubes of rock hard Rutland I quit buying the packages. Instead I buy the gasket on reels with 157 feet so that I can provide just the length needed for each size egg. That is really cost effective for XL owners since just 7 feet will not do it so they would need to buy two blister packs from ACE or Amazon and then throw away 5 feet plus both tubes of adhesive!
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

RRP said:
    DMW said:
    2 reasons not to use the included adhesive. 1 - Shelf life. If it has been stocked for awhile it is not as effective. 2 - It is designed to bond to metal, doesn't bond to ceramic well.

It used to be that the code crimped in the end of the Rutland adhesive could be deciphered so you knew how old it was. Then several years ago they changed the coding so the only way to find out was to call technical service. Otherwise you had to try to squeeze the blister package to see if the adhesive felt hard. Due to that hit and miss plus my eating several tubes of rock hard Rutland I quit buying the packages. Instead I buy the gasket on reels with 157 feet so that I can provide just the length needed for each size egg. That is really cost effective for XL owners since just 7 feet will not do it so they would need to buy two blister packs from ACE or Amazon and then throw away 5 feet plus both tubes of adhesive!

Maybe I should take back the kit and try to find a roll... I mean if I'm just going to pick up the Permatex anyway.  So what length would I need for a large?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I ordered my Rutland(s) from Ron. He includes detailed instructions that are virtually idiot proof (unless your DJing incoming calls from prospective job inquires and juggling adult refreshments). He sends exactly the right length of gasket material (minus maybe an inch or so). And the price is beyond reasonable. Nuff said.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Seahawk, for a large egg, 84". Easy way out, just buy from Ron.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    Thanks for the tip of the hat, guys! I've only been doing this as a service to fellow eggers now for 12 years for nearly 1,400 gaskets.  But some guys like to hoe their own row as my Father used to say! Besides, ACE and Amazon NEED their money! LOL
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    Options
    @RRP. Thank u I just received my gasket today. Your check was mailed out on Monday.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

RRP said:
    Thanks for the tip of the hat, guys! I've only been doing this as a service to fellow eggers now for 12 years for nearly 1,400 gaskets.  But some guys like to hoe their own row as my Father used to say! Besides, ACE and Amazon NEED their money! LOL
    I would go with Ron, of course, if I didn' thave an ACE gift card expiring at the end of this month.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Understand you are just getting prepared for a new gasket, is the one on your egg over a year old? If it is not and if it failing, you can hit your dealer and get a replacement from BGE under warranty. I sometimes wonder if every egg owner requested one or more replacement gaskets under warranty, BGE might come up with a more permanent solution. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I went to  a dealer near me and he told me it wasnt under warranty that beaing said my gasket only lasted 3 months.So i decided to order my replacement  gasket  from RRP.I would rather put on a gasket that will last at longer then 3 months then have to put one on when it 0 or colder
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    cook861 said:
    I went to  a dealer near me and he told me it wasnt under warranty that beaing said my gasket only lasted 3 months.So i decided to order my replacement  gasket  from RRP.I would rather put on a gasket that will last at longer then 3 months then have to put one on when it 0 or colder
    Your dealer lied to you. 

I do understand about having to play outside when the weather sucks, just finding a better solution rather than hold BGE to their great warranty lets them off too easy, IMHO. My original gasket was the felt rim protector, went thru at least 2 replacements and then finally a "high temp" one which lasted a year. They are getting better. 
    I'd get the BGE replacement wether you use it or not. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Skiddymarker  Thank sometimes its the easy way out 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    Oh my gasket isn't ready to be replaced quite yet.  I bought my egg this spring, and have cooked on it somewhat frequently with only a few high temp burns.  However, I had a gift card expiring, so I thought I'd buy the materials for gasket replacement once I need it.
  • RRP
    Options
    Oh my gasket isn't ready to be replaced quite yet.  I bought my egg this spring, and have cooked on it somewhat frequently with only a few high temp burns.  However, I had a gift card expiring, so I thought I'd buy the materials for gasket replacement once I need it.

I understand that gift card is wasting away, but another idea is to spend it on some end of season sale items at ACE which can come in handy all the time. For instance I like to use some 12" auxiliary grates for prepping meat inside in the winter and transferring to the already heated BGE grate out in the snow! Just open up and plop the grate on top. Also have you checked ACE online?
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    RRP said:

I understand that gift card is wasting away, but another idea is to spend it on some end of season sale items at ACE which can come in handy all the time. For instance I like to use some 12" auxiliary grates for prepping meat inside in the winter and transferring to the already heated BGE grate out in the snow! Just open up and plop the grate on top. Also have you checked ACE online?
    Now that's a terrific idea.
  • mangasb
    mangasb Posts: 14
    Options
    This Ron @RRP guy is on to something - ha!
    RRP said:

Now that's a terrific idea.

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    @thatgrimguy sent me a rutland gasket with the rub and sauce exchange.  I guess that I need to figure out where to buy the schmutz.  I think that I can figure out how to put it on.  I am not going to have the seam directly in the back.  Looks like too much effort for me. @rrp - some help?
    Milton, GA.
  • RRP
    Options
    Not sure what "schmutz" is. Did he send  you a blister kit with a tube of Rutland adhesive? What size egg do you have? 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

cook861 said:

Your dealer lied to you. 

I do understand about having to play outside when the weather sucks, just finding a better solution rather than hold BGE to their great warranty lets them off too easy, IMHO. My original gasket was the felt rim protector, went thru at least 2 replacements and then finally a "high temp" one which lasted a year. They are getting better. 
    I'd get the BGE replacement wether you use it or not. 

@skiddymarker - I am working on 4 1/2yrs plus on my high temp BGE replacement on my large and a bit over 1 1/2yrs on my small and both are holding up great.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • chipman
    chipman Posts: 85
    Options
     By law, gift cards cannot expire. Do a google search and you will find many links that explain your situation.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - Agree, I'm coming up to 3 years with the High-Que high temp, still working like a champ. If I recall correctly, that's the original, 2 felt BGEs under warranty, one BGE under warranty high temp and one High-Que high temp Nomex i bought - which has outlasted all of the BGE gaskets. 
    I think they are getting better and cheaper - saw a LavaLock for $12 if it last three years it is well worth it. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited October 2014
    Options
    flynnbob said:
    @thatgrimguy sent me a rutland gasket with the rub and sauce exchange.  I guess that I need to figure out where to buy the schmutz.  I think that I can figure out how to put it on.  I am not going to have the seam directly in the back.  Looks like too much effort for me. @rrp - some help?
    @flynnbob I actually bought you a bottle and forgot to put it in the box!!  You need permatex copper you can get at any auto parts store.  my seam is directly in the back of my XL and i never removed the dome. It was really easy. No big deal at all. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum