Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: killer cracker spread just found!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Yesterday at a small party the hostess served some snacks and one took my heart by storm! It is premade by Murray's which is a new line that our Kroger store just switched to. It is called their Bacon & Chive Jarlsberg spread. I went out and bought a half pound and had to make myself stop eating it. Obviously being a cheese it is found in the deli/cheese section. Man-o-man is it good!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I love stuff like that. One of my favorites is. Cream cheese with green onion, bell pepper, Carl buding sliced beef and a good amount Worcestershire. Awesome with Ritz crackers People keeped asking me what it's called? So I started calling it cheese ball dip.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Can you post a pic of the label?

Edit: I used the Google machine and found copycat recipes for "Jarlsberg dip". I just wanted to compare.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I instantly thought there was some white guy on a killing spree...then realized it was a dip.

Too many video games I guess...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Cracker killer...isn't that gout?
    I can eat my weight in Murry's Jarlsberg bacon spread!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I'm better off not finding this stuff if its that good.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    It's good enough that you don't actually need a cracker...it's excellent on its own.  crackers just fill ya up. :D
  • RRP
    Options
    Can you post a pic of the label? Edit: I used the Google machine and found copycat recipes for "Jarlsberg dip". I just wanted to compare.
    Here you go - at least you can get an idea of their ingredients!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I don't see bacon or chives in the list.
    Options
    @RRP‌ you had me at the bacon alone.... I'll have to get some.....yum!
  • RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I don't see bacon or chives in the list.

bacon is the second word after crispy, but you are correct about chives. I wonder since chives are mentioned in the spread's name then legally that covers the disclosure, but then why mention bacon and Jarlsberg again...oh well...it still is very tasty!
  • RRP
    Options
    It's good enough that you don't actually need a cracker...it's excellent on its own.  crackers just fill ya up. :D

true, but crackers don't sell for $7.99 a pound either! All I had on hand were some Club crackers which are bland, but serve as a handy transfer medium from dish to mouth! Yesterday the hostess had a hard thin cracker with toasted sesame seeds that were good, but also fought to be tasted in their own rights!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Ron, read that again.  I'm sure it has it bacon in it, being delicious, but I think "bacon" was used as an adjective to describe the dip after "crispy", after the word "Ingredients" should follow the actual ingredients.  Just having fun here with labeling. 
    Options
    BACON is there anything else to be said?
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Ron, read that again.  I'm sure it has it bacon in it, being delicious, but I think "bacon" was used as an adjective to describe the dip after "crispy", after the word "Ingredients" should follow the actual ingredients.  Just having fun here with labeling. 
    It is also missing the closing parenthesis for the Sour Cream function.  This label is missing data and is syntactically incorrect. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    Options
    It is also missing the closing parenthesis for the Sour Cream function.  This label is missing data and is syntactically incorrect. 
    Now I'm sorry I even suggested what I thought really tasted good. Next time I will keep it short and say something like here's some "dog sh*t on a cracker that I really liked, but don't ask me what is in it!"
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    C'mon Ron, don't be grouchy.  I said "just having fun here...".  AKA, said with levity.
    Options
    And dog **** tastes just like whatever the dog ate, except sh*tier.  So mention what the dog ate.   All in friendly banter, I say this, and I hope is taken as such.
    Options
    LOL and all that too! Why people think I'm a grouchy 70 year old fart I don't know!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited September 2014
    Options
    It is a scientifically quantifiable fact that we get 10% grouchier every year we are alive.  This results in a doubling of grouchiness every 7.2 years.

Now get off my lawn!
  • Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    Jarlsburg is my favorite cheese.
    Duncan, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Sorry for my part there Ron...I was just being nerdy.  The cheese spread does look excellent and thanks for taking the time to take a pic of the label.  I checked their web site and there are a few locations in my general area.  

FYI- it is a little glitchy.  If you enter a zip code they all seem to disappear (at least my zip code in my brower).  If you just zoom in on the map you can find locations.  There are also no zoom controls on the map but you can double-click on an area or use the scroll wheel on the mouse.  For north GA peeps there is one in Alpharetta.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• pigoutsc
    Options
    I picked up some today while I was working out of town(no Kroger near me) it was fantastic. 
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I haven't had a Jarlsberg spread I haven't liked yet.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • RRP
    Options
    pigoutsc said:
    I picked up some today while I was working out of town(no Kroger near me) it was fantastic. 

thanks for your support! I ate a bunch of mine today as a snack! It rocks! My thought is to buy a wedge of that cheese and experiment with it in some ABTs, but if anybody has other ideas, please let me know!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I made this yesterday using a copycat recipe (no krogers in this state). Shredded jarlsberg, mayo, some chopped red onion. Pretty good, but I liked it better with a touch of garlic and a little splash of Worcestershire. As a spread/dip, it was well-received, but the real raves came as a topping for the grilled burgers at dinner later. As shown on the Kroger video (pulled down from their Facebook page), for use with the burgers I added some chopped bacon and some chives to the dip. I just used it as a topping...didn't go the jucy Lucy route. Going to try it with miracle whip instead of mayo next time.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    If you are making this at home, try Duke's Mayo instead of Hellman's or Miracle Whip.  Only homemade mayo is better than Duke's.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • OmahaOne
    Options
    pigoutsc said:
    You said "it was fantastic', does that mean you've already eaten it all? I guess it really is some good stuff.  
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • pigoutsc
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    pigoutsc said:
    You said "it was fantastic', does that mean you've already eaten it all? I guess it really is some good stuff.  
    There is still a little bit left. Looks like Kroger now owns Harris Teeter and I have one of those not to far away. I hope they carry it. Very good 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    500 said:
    If you are making this at home, try Duke's Mayo instead of Hellman's or Miracle Whip.  Only homemade mayo is better than Duke's.
    +1 on Duke's. Not generally available locally, but I import it.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle