Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Illegal lump

Any Canadians ever bring back volume lump from the US? I cant see it being an issue. Maybe it would be with 15 or 30 bags. Anyone have any insight on this matter?

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I imagine it would depend on where you pack it to get it across the border.
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Tjcoley said:

Bed of my truck.

• I imagine you have to respect the travel allowance limits or pay duty.  Either way I don't think they care if it is charcoal or big screen tv's.. You pay either way.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited September 2014
    hondabbq said:
    Tjcoley said:

Bed of my truck.

Yeah, that can be an euphemism for what I meant.
    Just contacted the CBSA, and there is no restriction on bringing any volume of Lump back to Canada, with the exclusion of paying taxes if you are over your limit of dollars purchased.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    just curious, would they make you unload it so they could see you weren't hiding something under a big load?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    with my luck they would open all the bags
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hondabbq
    RRP said:
    just curious, would they make you unload it so they could see you weren't hiding something under a big load?

With the border guys, anything is possible.

I brought back my Challenger cart on a pallet and they didn't make me take it apart at all. Depends if the guy is having a bad day I guess.

• I bring back lump and briquettes all the time - just three or four bags at a time - we cross border every couple of weeks. Never had a problem, but have always declared at entry. I do know that firewood (which includes smoke wood) should not be brought into Canada as it is untreated and may contain insects or spores/seeds. Some competition teams using stick burners have had trouble getting their fuel into the country. Hickory and pecan are not too plentiful here on the Pacific Coast. 
    Lump and briquettes are OK, Agriculture Canada does not feel it poses a threat. If it is made in the USA or Mexico, GST/PST/HST applies unless you have been out of the country for 48 hours, then $800 comes back duty and tax free. If it is made in other than USA and Mexico then duty (think it may be 18%?) applies in addition to GST/PST/HST unless you have been out of the country for 48 hours, then $800 comes back duty and tax free.
    @RRP - good point, but CBSA unloading the lump from the vehicle to look under it may be the least of your problems. If you have any criminal record or are known to police or CBSA suspects other non-declared items (guns/drugs) may be present in the lump, they may inspect (open) each bag. Not sure, but I do not think the sniffer dogs are effective with charcoal products. @hondabbq - you planning a cross border lump run?

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    edited September 2014

yeah, but those guys have a long memory when they caught you with that old pack of Lucky Strikes hidden in your tackle box. LOL
  • fishlessman
    RRP said:

yeah, but those guys have a long memory when they caught you with that old pack of Lucky Strikes hidden in your tackle box. LOL
    im just glad they put the truck back together, after letting us drink all the beer at the border crossing so that we didnt have to pay the duty on it, putting the truck back together may have been difficult
    :)) maybe if you have too much lump you can just setup a grill and start cooking
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• with my luck they would open all the bags
    Like this guy:

He imported a container load, CBSA opened every bag. He has been trying to sell it for over a year now. His price is $45 for 45Kg (100#), which is negotiable. I bought 45Kg, delivered for $30. It is about 10% fines due to all the handling and there are some un-carbonized pieces. Great to add a touch of mesquite to a cook or I use it in the Smokey Joe to sear after a sous vide. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    Like this guy:

He imported a container load, CBSA opened every bag. He has been trying to sell it for over a year now. His price is $45 for 45Kg (100#), which is negotiable. I bought 45Kg, delivered for $30. It is about 10% fines due to all the handling and there are some un-carbonized pieces. Great to add a touch of mesquite to a cook or I use it in the Smokey Joe to sear after a sous vide. 
    they take things so serious now, when i used to cross thru in nh they shut down around nightfall but you were still allowed to cross with no inspection. theres still back roads all over the place up there, i used to fish the small beaverdams on both sides, i never knew which side i was on
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• One thing is that you want to keep the dollar value below your allowed limit the other is even if it is less than your allowed limit but they suspect it is a quantity that is beyond personal use they will tax you because it will be considered a commercial shipment.  I doubt there is duty on charcoal so the most you would be liable for is 13% of the value in Canadian dollars.

Gerhard
  • RRP
    gerhardk said:
    One thing is that you want to keep the dollar value below your allowed limit the other is even if it is less than your allowed limit but they suspect it is a quantity that is beyond personal use they will tax you because it will be considered a commercial shipment.  I doubt there is duty on charcoal so the most you would be liable for is 13% of the value in Canadian dollars.

Gerhard

Sounds very arbitrary! If a border guy wants to be a jerk he can? I suppose no one will touch this question, but isn't this ripe for personal bribes and graft? Or are the penalties and qualifications such that a sleazy guard would not even get the job?
  • hondabbq

I contacted CBSA and there is no legal restrictions on bringing it in. He did tell me to contact CFIA to see if there was anything on their end. Waiting for a return phone call.

Bringing in a container in from Mexico would look suspicious to me too. Im just a good looking guy bringing in some lump for me to cook some food.

• RRP said:

Sounds very arbitrary! 
    Everything about crossing the border is arbitrary and yes if you catch a border agent on a bad day it is worse than if you catch him on the day he won the lottery.  It is much like being stopped for speeding, it can end with a little chat or with a relatively large fine.

Gerhard
  • Little Steven hooked me up last year with 7 or 8 bags of Maple Leaf. We crossed the border at 2:00 am appearing exactly like what we were: a long suffering wife driving, her sleepy boozed up husband riding shotgun, a young lady and a little girl sleeping in the back and bags of charcoal everywhere. They passed us through.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    RRP said:

Sounds very arbitrary! If a border guy wants to be a jerk he can? I suppose no one will touch this question, but isn't this ripe for personal bribes and graft? Or are the penalties and qualifications such that a sleazy guard would not even get the job?
    We all hope the qualification process assures fair and even treatment to all, but sometimes you wonder. Different rules for different countries - and if you want entry, it is best to comply, not question. 

We know a family who had their NEXUS passes revoked due to apple slices in the car for their three year old. The law is very simple, no fruit importation to the USA. The apples actually came from WA - but that does not matter. 

After WA voted to allow the sale of weed, US guards asked many Canadians crossing into the US "Have you ever smoked Marijuana?" A truthful answer of "Yes" for those that have could get them barred entry to the US forever. 

Complete honesty - the best policy, unless you have to lie.....

• hondabbq

The phone call finally came. Hardwood charcoal is legal from a CFIA stand point. The lady was very helpful and also directed me to a link that anyone can see what is legal. Here it is-

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/plants/imports/airs/eng/1300127512994/1300127627409

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I saw a documentary once, where this group of wildlife people were trying to take a truckful of geese they had raised (rescued eggs or something) across the border into the USA.  The US Border Patrol would not let them, even though the wildlife folks pointed at all of the Canadian Geese flying south overhead.  So they unloaded their human raised geese on the canada side.  Crossed the border with an empty truck.  Parked, and called their geese which all flew across the border and then were herded back into the truck while the border patrol watched.  Ain't Government idiots wonderful.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.