Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Cannoli Recipe Wanted

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
OK, just ordered cannoli molds. I've never made them before and I have no idea. So...anyone have a great recipe (shells and filling) so I have a starting point rather than just googling?

Thanks in advance,

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Don_Piero
    Options
    All I remember was my mom using red wine for the shells.  I buy the shells but make the cream.  Here is my cream recipe (from my mom).

Cannoli Cream

Ingredients: 

• small tub (about 475 grams) of Ricotta Cheese (extra smooth)
    • about 1/2 cup powdered icing sugar
    • Whipping Cream - few table spoons to smoothen ricotta
    • Vanilla extract
    • lemon rind zest
    • Chocolate chips

Procedure

• drain ricotta cheese over cheesecloth or fine steel strainer. Drain overnight in the fridge if time aloows
    • Combine ricotta cheese, powdered sugar, whipping cream and vanilla extract until combined.
    • fill into plastic bag, cut hole and squeeze into cannoli shells.
    add chocolate chips to the ends of each filled shell

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • DMW
    Options
    @Don_Piero‌ Thanks, have all the ingredients, will be trying tomorrow. Found a dough recipe that has Marsala wine, will be trying that.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    @Don_Piero
    I just wanted to say thanks again. I made these tonight, but added shaved chocolate to the filling. I saw that in a recipe and it sounded good. I think next time I will leave it out and do exactly your recipe. It was good, but the chocolate flakes in the filling seemed wrong if that makes sense.

Anyway they were still good. Too good. I really should not have figured out how to make canollis at home...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Oops, misread the topic.
    I had it in my brain it said Cannelloni
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Bookmarked! I'm a sucker for an authentic Cannoli. I got hooked on em along w/ Bruschetta and traditional brick oven pizza when my wife and I were deployed to Sicily oh so many years ago. What a beautiful country with friendly folks and exquisite cuisine.

HuskerMaMa & I in Sigonella Sicily circa 98.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL