Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help on 14lb Boston Butt please!

Options
I'm in charge of the tailgating fare this weekend. I've done the low and slow method per the Naked Whiz before but with a 14lb butt that would take well over 24 hours right? What to do? Brine or not to brine? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    No brine. Cut it in half and cook both halves at the same time. It will cook like a 7 lber instead of a 14 lber.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I have never brined a butt so I cant say on that.  My longest cook on the egg was a butt that cooked 20 1/2 hrs.  I think weighed around 16 pounds.  every piece of meat is different, just allow plenty of time for it.  Good luck.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I don't think Butts need to be brined but like @shtgunal3 says cut it in half, more bark....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    No need to brine. You could cook as all other, smaller butts and yes it would take 22-24 hours at 250 dome. You could cut in two for more bark and that should come in at 14-16 hours, maybe more. Good luck and don't forget the pics.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    You could go turbo at 350 and cut the time way down. Taste and texture will be the same. I don't do butts low and slow any more.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

You could go turbo at 350 and cut the time way down. Taste and texture will be the same. I don't do butts low and slow any more.

I agree, I have had good look doing turbo method at 350 then cranking it up to 400 after it hits 180. When it gets to 165 you can foil it with some liquid of your choice, I like apple juice and crank it up then to cook faster. Split ingredients it will help to. I inject my butts again with apple juice.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • denverdenny
    Options
    Did this a couple weeks back with a bigass 14 pound butt. Cut it in 2 pieces, seasoned and on the BGE at 225-240 for around 7 hrs I think. Pulled them to rest for an hour or so in the foil/towel/cooler setup. Literally fell apart when I stuck the forks in to shred.
    Good luck!
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    Thanks all! Will cut in half. Thought about that but didn't know if it would mes up the integrity of the meat.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I do a butt almost every weekend , one thing I have learned recently is I get nearly the identical results from low & slow  and Turbo methods,I agree with the above suggestions of cutting in half and considering turbo method with foil wrap with apple cider and spice or hot sauce for finishing liquid until final internal is reached. Good luck and happy egging.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • denverdenny
    Options
    It may help to wrap each chunk in some cooking twine - helps keep it from disintegrating on you B-)
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    What do you mean by "foil wrap with Apple cider?"
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @thehumanrake > Hey man, you got the best handle on the forum "thehumanrake". You must be a golfer right? Do you give yourself putts? I love it!!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What do you mean by "foil wrap with Apple cider?"

To give it a little more flavor when it reaches 165 you can wrap it in foil and add a little apple juice inside the foil. I have also added brown sugar. You can use what ever or not. Pork really goes well with apple. I have also just let it ride with no foil.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You have received some great advice above my friend. There are numerous options at your disposal that will yield excellent results. As others have all ready stated, you can cut it in half thus creating two 7 pounders instead of the 14 pounder. Just for the record and not saying that you should do it, I have had great success running as high as 425 degrees on shoulder. If you are pressed for time, keep this in mind. At brisket camp this weekend due to demand, I finished two 20+ pound shoulders that were stuffed with bacon and sausage at 425 degrees. You have the option of leaving it whole if you would like. It won't hurt a thing if you leave it whole. I would recommend staying in the 325 degree arena if you chose to leave it whole. Why? Reflective heat from the dome can cause scorching. This is not a concern on Unit 1. If you cut it in half you can really get up on the heat if time becomes pressing. There are a lot of schools of thought on this, but when halving shoulder I like to cut with the grain not against. This just my preference and not a rule so I won't debate the merits of one vs the other. At any rate, good luck brother. I will be standing by.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.