Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg sticks together

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg for about 3 yrs now,and the top sticks to the bottom. This is making it extremely hard to open. What can I do? Thanx

Comments

• Dave,
    The most common sticking comes after firing it very hot (600 degree F+). Then, when cooling, the top and bottom gasket stick together (possibly from the adhesives)[p]The other reason, particularly this time of year, is when during freezing temps moisture in the gaskets freezes.[p]Would either of these appear reasonable for your circumstances?[p]TG

• Dave
    Options
    TG Scouter,
    Thanx,my son and mehad to pry it open today. It hasn't been cold. I scraped around and on the gaskets to remove some build up. I'm smoking a butt now and it's getting harder to open. When I open the lid there is a black film on the gaskets. Maybe I just need to replace them.

• Dave,
    Is the gasket old and fried up?
    Did you recently do a very hot cook?
    TG

• Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    Options
    Dave,[p]mine sticks together due to the greasy/fatty build up on the gaskets.
    The solution for unfreezing it due to ice works for this, too, i.e. toss a parrafin fire starter in the top hole and wait 10 min or so until the heat loosens the gunk.[p]
    To prevent sticking shut, try putting alum foil on the bottom gasket before you close the lid.[p]Woody

• Dave
    Options