Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Looking for New TV Service Provider

Options
I am a Time Warner customer, My cable went out (again) yesterday during the Bronco game. This is the 5th time in the last 18 months, and frankly, I'm tired of this. To add fuel to the fire, when my cable goes out - everything else does too (internet & phone)

I think I want to switch to Direct TV.

My question is for those who have D-TV ... do you like it? how is the service? what package(s) do you recommend? hidden costs?

Thanks in advance - Tim 

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    I lived int your area for 15 years (Chatsworth) and the only problems I had with direct TV was that during our Santa Anna winds sometimes I would loose reception. I would never go back to Time Warner again 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • abpgwolf
    Options
    I have DirectTV, it has been 13 years of outstanding service. The only outages I have are the 2-3 minutes disconnection when a big thunderstorm passes. They have kept me up to date with the latest equipment at little to no cost whenever I ask. They seem to do whatever it takes to keep their customers happy. As far as packages are concerned, it's a personal preference. I just canceled all my premium channels and signed up for a Netflix account.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Also a pleased DTV customer here.  We switched after Katrina when we learned that you can't watch cable on a generator (because cable needs power), but you can watch satellite.

Customer service has been good.  I find the prices all pretty comparable once you get past the signup discounts.  DTV will also negotiate on price periodically to keep you as a customer.  They will refresh your equipment every year or two in exchange for renewing your contract.

Note, too, that the 6.99 (or so) per month service warranty will give you free service calls for aligning your dish and anything else that goes wrong.  I think it also flags your account as favorable - at least that's been my experience.

NOLA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I've had dtv for 10 years. I like it but it is expensive. Maybe it so expensive because I have every channel known to man. I'm embarrassed to say how much I spend on it. A lot of the costs have to do with the extras. HDTV, HDTV with dvr, how many boxes. I don't know if they even have boxes anymore. All that said I really like dtv. I never call them unless I want an upgrade. They are pretty good about throwing in free stuff from time to time. Reception goes out during strong thunderstorms and snow build up. Other than that great picture
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Mcstew ... and boy does it get windy. Thanks. @abpgwolf ... love outstanding service, which my current provider doesn't supply.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @grege345 ... my current bill is at $176, what a ripoff. I remember when it used to be $95 dollars, then one day I blinked and it went thru the roof.

@buzd504 ...$6.99 service warranty ... sounds like money well spent
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    its good for the camp with my brothers service and extra box, its bad with the camp near the water, its always out with wind, rain, lightning, heavey clouds. comcast at the house never goes out so im thinking were you live can be good or bad
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited September 2014
    Options
    DTV is the way to go. I've been a customer since they bought Primestar and was a prime star customer prior to that. I can't count on one hand the outages we have had that weren't self-inflicted (pay the damn bill!!)
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Long time DTV subscriber.  I have the $70 package or so.  We don't watch a lot of movies.  We have whole home DVR (not Genie), but I hear the Genie is sweet.  

I have found that when you have a storm and momentarily blacks out, you can still go to non-HD local channels and still have something.  Sometimes, the non-HD other channels will work as well.  This may be in my area, but it works.  

Bandwidth is better.  You're not sharing the bandwidth.  There is a short piece of cable from your dish to your home.  Not from the pole and elsewhere networked.  If the pole goes down, or a limb goes over it, you're not without TV.  

Fit and finish, DTV is the clear winner.  Dish is good, but not as polished, in my opinion.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am also a Direct TV subscriber. I love it. All we had prior to that was Comcast cable. In my little town they don't even offer HD cable. 

I switched to Direct for HD and DVR's. I am very happy with it. I have only had a few minor issues in three years. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You sound like your in my boat with Comcast. No wonder they are trying to merge with Time Warner. I'd rather blow my brains out than ever sign up with Comcast again. They are hell on earth, personified.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I've had  DirecTV since 2006 and love it!  I beta tested some of their equipment in the past (HR20-700 dvr) and were wonderful to work with, they pay attention and quickly address problems with the new software,before it's released to the public.
    I now have their newest equipment / technology. All I can tell you is I like DirecTv and recommended it to friends and family. Used to have Cox cable and DirecTv is WAY better then Cox cable.
    Never had a problem with customer service.
    Oh the rain fade issues of the past. That problem is much much improved, almost a non-issue.
    Check out this forum for a wealth of info: 
    www.dbstalk.com
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    The only reason I haven't gone to satellite is that DSL is only available Internet access besides cable. If I could get FIOS, I'd be long gone.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Thanks for the info, seems I got some research to do.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    IMHO, Direct TV sucks. It isnt the reception or picture quality. It is the customer service. I had a receiver 'burn up' to the point I had to call the FD. Called DTV and all they would do is send a refurbished receiver. Very poor customer service and they didn't care one bit that I was a loyal 10 year customer. Switched to att and it is good.

My blood is boiling just thinking about it.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA