Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome hole plug upgrade

Options
Charbon
Charbon Posts: 222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
d601ef21.jpg
<p />I am an advocate of removing temp guage after cooking. I have in the past suggested using a roof nail to place into dome hole and bring thermometer inside after cook. I am sorry for those that have burned their fingertips on the hot nail. I share your pain. I have upgraded my dome hole with a golf tee thanks to a forum member tip a couple of weeks back. Hardest part of this project was getting to golf bag in corner of garage behind all of the junk from the summer. I am hoping this upgrade will be my last. This is a good project for the so called "Dog days of Winter".

Comments

• Charbon,[p]Is that a wood golf tee? Anyone else use a wood tee? Any danger it swells and gets stuck?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    scole,
    I do believe it was I who posted that suggestion as the tees are what I've used for several years. As for swelling - I've never had the problem - afterall those tees are painted and get rained on, but wouldn't be underwater.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • smokinsop
    smokinsop Posts: 180
    Options
    RRP,
    I thought i figured out the golf tee thing. Behind again. Darn

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    smokinsop, LOL - I'm not really laying claim to the initial idea - who could ever prove that?!!! But what I was taking credit to was his reference to "a forum member tip a couple of weeks back" and that was my response during a thread on water getting trapped in the thermometer etc. Oh well...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.