Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket - pretty good

Options

So I finally produced a pretty good brisket while having visitors.  In the past, if I've done a brisket that turned out well, nobody was around to validate or verify.  So I started with a 9 lb choice from Wal Mart, trimmed it down to 6.4 lbs.  (lotta hard fat, very little of the fat cap, and mistakenly took off an entire end of the point)  Rubbed it lightly with mustard, used whatever brisket rub I had in the pantry, let it sit for a few hours.  Put the meat on the stable EGG at 9:30 last night, grill temp about 230, until about 10:40 this morning, with an IT of 197.  FTC until halftime, sliced it up real nice.  Flat was dry, point was not, but the sauce compensated for that.  Overall, not unhappy with this brisket.  not sure what to do about the dryness, maybe injection?   

Oh yeah, and SWMBO made lemon meringue pie for dessert.  Now you know why she must be obeyed.

Comments

• Philly35
    Options
    Chop up the point and the flat together and enjoy an awesome sandwich! I'm a Seahawks fan as well. What a game. Lynch is the man!
    NW IOWA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Oh wow! That looks so good, especially the pie.  Just just like those dang Seahawks ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Philly35
    Options
    The way I look at brisket- not every brisket will be juicy in the flat. Every brisket is different. If you go out to eat and order brisket, chances are it's already sliced sitting in hot au jus of some sort which will make it just melt apart tender. Around my neck of the woods, usually when you order brisket it's more like roast beef. I can't believe they call it brisket. Anyway, just cook it low and slow till it probes tender and ftc. It's all a game of luck to me. Sometimes the flat will be dry and sometimes it'll be juicy. If you pull it when it probes tender, it'll be tender. That's all you can do! The point will never fail you and it taste better on a sandwich anyway! You can always blame it on the cut of meat! Just remember, brisket used to be cheap and a horrible cut of meat. If it comes out with good flavor and it's tender and you smoked it without foiling or braising, consider it nailed! You did better than any restaurant around here can do.
    NW IOWA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'll take 2 sammiches please!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.