Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Dish Pizza Question

Options
Going to try deep dish pizza tonight.  Trying to recreate a recipe that my wife and I like from Unos and trying to figure out the Sausage.  What sort of sausage do you use on a pizza.. looks like crumbled.  Do you put it on raw or cooked?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I think traditional is to use raw bulk italian sausage (hot or mild). 

When we do deep dish, I brown up some breakfast sausage and use that.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Mild Italian pre cooked.
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    One big raw patty, about 1/2" thick. Italian sausage. Some add fennel. Dough, then sliced mozz, sausage, sauce. See this thread... Some good links there. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167656/how-to-make-authentic-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-in-two-hours-or-less/p1

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    I would use mild Italian, browned before putting it in the pizza. You can often buy it ground, or you can get it cased. You'll have to decide whether to use the ground stuff, or cut the casing off and crumble it for browning. Other option in a deep dish is to buy it cased and slice it up before browning. I've done it all those ways, and I think I like the sliced up concept a little better. I wouldn't do it that way on a regular pizza, but I kind of like that texture in a deep dish.

Otherwise, I roll out some pizza dough to about 16-18 inches, then put in in a 10 inch cast-iron pan for cooking.
  • tjosborne
    Options
    I would cook it before, but I'm no expert.I would just want to make sure it's cooked clear through
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE