Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories

WOW, bought a BGE in June and find there are so many gadgets to get! I would love to get a digital thermometer and then there is the BBQ Guru. Does anyone have any opinions on those as to what type of digital thermometer to get? Is the Guru worth looking into...seems expensive. I'm ready to do pizza next and need a pizza stone...do I need to get the one BGE sells or one from Amazon? I bought a pizza peel so far from Amazon and they sent me a snow shovel...who knew it would be so huge 8-}
XL...Round Rock, TX

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    BGE stone is a forum favorite. Well made. Are you looking for a standard food thermo or a digital type to monitor egg temp and food tem while cooking?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• @greg345 I'm thinking of both...the Guru sounds wonderful, but very expensive and wonder if it's worth investing in. A meat thermometer that let's you know when it's ready would seem worthwhile...but I have no idea which one is a good buy.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • I have the BBQ Guru and think that was my best decision and we'll worth the money. It has an egg and meat thermometer but I have a Thermapen on my Xmas list. I have bought two cheaper thermometers and they either quit working or take too long to read ( thereby loosing a lot of dome heat). The plate setter is also great to have, and a raised grid. Now, that's just one eggers opinion... There are a million right answers out there.
    Is it done yet? Is it done yet?
  • marianneiamele1
    marianneiamele1 Posts: 119
    edited September 2014
    @lemonade. Great feedback! Yes...the raised grid or 2 tiered grid is another gadget I thought about. What if you want to make 2 pizzas? Ugh. I need a job just for Eggcessories :)) also do you use the Daisy Wheel or the Smokeware vents?
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Welcome just start off with basic stuff ps  and pizza stone then  get the stuff that you need (want) 
    I was the same way when i got my egg wanted to get everything at ounce 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    A cheaper alternative to the Guru is the Pitmaster 110. It does a great job holding temps.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• @QDude‌ and @cook861 thanks...I will look into the Pittmaster.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Guru is well worth the money if you do cooks of 2-3 hours or more!  Best thing I have purchased yet! 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    i have the guru and it's an amazing tool for sure…..but really only worth it if you are doing longer cooks (which i do a lot).

the best thermometer i have ever used is the thermapen…..my wife got me one of those and it does great.

i don't do pizza as often as i should but i own the bge pizza stone and shovel thingy and when i do pizza i have no complaints from these devices.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    My perception is that the BBQ Guru and similar are useful if you do a lot of low and slow cooking. Otherwise, I've found that it's simpler to just stand there with a beer in your hand and watch the gauge. I do that anyway since I usually cook on more than one BGE at a time. Pizza stones...hard to beat the BGE variety for durability. Only issue I have is that its greater thickness/mass means it takes longer for it to heat soak. I usually preheat it in the oven, 400 degree starting at the same time I light the BGE. By the time the Egg is ready to cook pizza, the stone is at a good temp for crust management. I have a Pampered Chef stone that I've had for a decade. It heats up quicker. Reputation-wise, it's not a good stone (they tend to break, I hear) but I've never had an issue, even at 650 degree pizza cooks.

I have the same pizza peel. It works great and is very impressive to my guests, but in reality I've found that with the pizza at or above gasket level, a 16 inch spatula works well for checking the bottom of the crust, and on parchment, it's simple to just grab the edge of the parchment and pull the whole cooked pizza onto the serving platter.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I purchased the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 along with the Platesetter. If you plan on cooking low and slow cooks it is a great investment. Just set the pit temp and forget it.
  • The Guru is a great investment I use it a lot for all night cooks  and for a thermo I bought a thermo-pop $30.00 up here so prob. only about $15.00 down there. I find that it works great temp reading in about 4 seconds fast enough for me 
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • stonedog03
    stonedog03 Posts: 52
    edited September 2014
    For digital thermos, I have this one and this one (and an original iGrill too). I plan on purchasing a DigiQ2 soon, for those low and slow overnight cooks.

XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have Ivation dual Probe from Amazon for $60 to monitor grid and meat temps during long cooks like brisket and pork butts. It works great, but I want the Pitmaster IQ110 or IQ120. They both have a fan that you can set for the temp you want and it keeps it there, the IQ120 has a meat probe too to monitor it as well. Contact @stlcharcoal‌, he sells them at a great price. I am going to get the 110 eventually. The Guru is nice, but to pricey for me. If you don't have a dual Probe I would like at the 120. Wish I would have found it first. A Thermopen from Thermoworks has some of the best for the price and are quick. I am also in the market for a pizza ston err and am leading toward the BGE one for my XL. Sorry if I confused you more.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Just some thoughts:

The first thing I would buy is a Thermapen. $100 and worth every penny.

You may not need the BBQ Guru right off the bat unless you plan to do a lot of low and slows.

You may want to look at an adjustable rig set-up from the Ceramic Grill Store.  You can include a ceramic stone that acts as a platesetter and a pizza stone. It will make your cooks versatile.  Maybe ask for that for Christmas as a good set-up will cost you about $300.  If you are thinking about an AR, DO NOT buy a platesetter as you will never use it.

For a meat thermometer, I would go with a Maverick ET 733  2 probe electronic.  About $70 on Amazon, etc.

To light my Egg, I use a Berzomatic MAP torch set-up about $80 at HD.  It lights in seconds and is my go to device.

For Lump, My top 2 are Rockwood and Ozark Oak.  You can buy these online at Firecraft if you can't get them locally.

Welcome aboard and Good Luck!
    Milton, GA.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340

My thoughts on the guru depends on cooking temps. I sold my stoker (temp controller) ever since I started cooking briskets and ribs and butts at 275 to 300. Faster cooks I just didn't feel like it was needed. Plus the egg holds temps so good.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Concerning pizza stones - the BGE stone is good quality. I was looking for a 16" stone, which BGE does not sell. The Ceramic Grill Store sells good pizza stones. If you have a local pottery supply store, check out kiln shelves.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

You are now on the dark side, never to return......
    New Albany, Ohio 

• @THEBuckeye‌ you are hilarious and so right! To everyone who commented...the eyes are rolling back in my head overwhelmed with the great info. Like I said I need a job just to support my BGE habit!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • You can use my guru any time you like. I'm serious- I'll send it to you for a few months to play with. I don't need it but it's a very cool device.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ ...wow that is nice of you. But I think you live in central Texas like me. Will you be at one of those Egg festivals. I know they have one in Salado and one in Dripping Springs. Maybe I will see you and I can talk to you about it.
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • I'm in austin. Mine sits in a closet 364 days a year. It's really neat but I don't use it. Say the word and it's yours to play with for a while.
  • And I'll be at Salado for sure. Austin...maybe.
  • You could check with @RickyBobby‌ , I think he works on the side for Pitmaster. :)
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You ask about: "digital thermometer and then there is the BBQ Guru".
    Have had two of the Guru types and sold one, gave away the other (I see no reason to own).
    ONLY BUY the digital thermometer if you get the Thermapen (just under a $100) not the Big Green Egg look alike. I have two and it is the most used item for inside or outside cooking i have. It will make you a much better cook.
    Sure hope to see you in Salado in March.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    If money isn't an issue, go for it. If it is, buy a few things and see how it goes. If you like pizza, you need a stone and a peel. I do my pizza in my oven (just as good and much easier), but I still need the peel and stone. Guru, I have one, wish had passed. Just don't use it enough! Thermapen? Wish they had the Thermopop when I bought my pen!! 2-3 seconds makes no difference. $70+ makes a HUGE difference! Adjustable Rig? Great toy if you cook a lot of food. Lots cheaper ways to do that. Maverick? Waste of money. I used mine once in the past two years, maybe longer. Mail order lump? RO from walmart or Home Depot is just fine. Cheap too.

Don't buy because "everybody's doing it". Play with your egg. See how it works for you. THEN ask what will fix what you think is broken.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• @Mickey and @Carolina Q  thanks for your input.  I am going to hold off on the Guru.  I have been using charcoal from Costco, but i need to try something different to see if there is a difference in taste...everyone seems to like RO. I am anxious to go to one of these Egg Fests like the one in Salado to learn more about this Egg.  I passed on going to the one in Atlanta (my son & DIL live there), thought it was kind of pricey. 
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2014
    @Mickey and @Carolina Q  thanks for your input.  I am going to hold off on the Guru.  I have been using charcoal from Costco, but i need to try something different to see if there is a difference in taste...everyone seems to like RO. I am anxious to go to one of these Egg Fests like the one in Salado to learn more about this Egg.  I passed on going to the one in Atlanta (my son & DIL live there), thought it was kind of pricey. 

Mine in Salado is free for all; cooks and tasters. Plus we give away 4 Minis each year. Big deal is we are only 40 miles up I-35. This will be our 5th year. You will learn more in one day at the Fest than a year on your own. Cook or just walk around asking questions
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• @Mickey. I am looking forward to it!
    XL...Round Rock, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The problem with Salado is, there are a bunch of old guys prancing around in skirts. =))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut