Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cinnamon Almonds Recipe?

We were at a festival in Estes Park today and bought some cinnamon almonds. The price was crazy high! Have you got a good recipe for this? I have an Amazin smoker that I can use on the XL. Thanks.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Some thoughts from EGGheads:

Nuts, Almonds, Pecans, Smoked, Nature Boy

Howdy yalls, and happy holidays! Just fixin to cook some pork loins and go to the inlaws for a family gathering. Must be 50 degrees outside.

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:

1. Anyways, I cooked up 6 pounds of almonds today...half with Red Eye, and half with Tsunami Spin. The first batch I did Boccie's way (soaking in water, then rolling around in oil, seasoning and egging). They were good as always, but I wasn't getting the crunchy exterior I wanted, so I cruised around google for a while. One recipe caught my eye, or part of it. They used egg whites whisked to foaminess, then poured over the nuts. I did this with the Tsunami almonds. No soaking, no oil. Dang they were good. So I just finished up a batch of pecans the same way, but used Pineapple Head for some sweetness.

2. Wow, you gotta try this egg white thing. What a difference. The spices stick really well, and they are the crunchiest nuts yet.

3. Enjoy the company of your friends, family and pets this weekend!

4. Holiday Cheers. Christmas beers.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Snack

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Nature Boy, 2008/12/24

Nuts, Almonds, Smoked, Boccie & Nikkig

Ingredients
    2 cups raw almonds
    water to cover
    2 Tbs olive oil
    table salt
    Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom

Procedure

1. Start with raw almonds. These can be found in the baking section of your grocery store. Chef's Naturals are what I find locally. Measure out 2 cups.

2. Soak in water for 10 minutes. Why soak? You will find that your seasonings fall off after a short time. Salt just doesnt want to stay on the almonds. Through some trial and error, attempts of soaking in a brine solution etc. I have settled on a short soak in water to help with this. The salt now melts onto the almonds. In addition if the almonds are soaked long enough they will swell in size, and it will change how dense they are after roasted. 10 minutes wont swell the almonds much at all. If you prefer this, use a warm water and soak 20-30 minutes. Try it both ways and see what you like the best.

3. Now drain well and coat with olive oil. About 2 tablespoons will be enough. Mix well with your hands.

4. Now season well with table salt. Do not use kosher salt as the grains are too big and will just fall off after a short time. For an added kick use Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom seasoning. The following pictures show a batch done with the Swamp Venom.

5. Use the seasoning generously while mixing the nuts using your hands. Ok use kitchen spoons if your a real wimp :-) It isnt real cooking unless you get your hands dirty somewhere in the process!

6. Use a pan with sides. Or you can use tin foil with the ends folded as sides. I use a vegetable pan I found in the camping section of a department store. I cover the bottom with foil to prevent burning the almonds through the holes of the pan.

7. Once the cooker is stablized at 325deg, place a small amount of Plum wood and wait until it is smoking well. Any fruit wood should work just fine. Place your pan on the cooker.

8. Stir every 5 minutes, and recoat with your seasoning each time. You'll only do this twice since the almonds will be dried enough after 10-15 minutes that any added seasoning wont stick anyhow. After 20 minutes or when the almonds look right (this is of course a judgement call on your part) remove from the cooker and allow the almonds to cool. They will be soft until cooled, and will possibly be quite noisey while they are cooling and some will crack open.

9. The almonds have a good color after 20 minutes and are done just right here:

10. Thats it, enjoy!

Servings: 1

Recipe Type: Snack, Vegetarian

Source
    Author: Boccie & Nikkig
    Source: BGE Forum, Boccie & Nikkig, 2003/04/05