Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Vinegar sauce

Options
Phatchris
Phatchris Posts: 1,726
edited September 2014 in Pork
Think I'll do a butt for the pats game... Not sure if I'll try turbo or go with the trusty low and slow ...

What's everyone favorite vinegar sauce recipe, I usually just go with some acv, sugar, and red chili.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    "Finishing sauce" sounds awfully pretentious when talking about pork barbecue. LOL I use pretty much what you described. I call it... vinegar sauce. :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Options
    Sorry ;;) vinegar sauce recipes.... I'm a Yankee what can I say lol
  • Phatchris
    Options

"Finishing sauce" sounds awfully pretentious when talking about pork barbecue. LOL I use pretty much what you described. I call it... vinegar sauce. :D

I edited my original post B-)
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    By the letter of the law, this is not a true Eastern NC style sauce because it has a bit of ketchup in it. But it is my favorite. The ketchup replaces some of the sugar you would normally add, and it adds a little bit of thickener to the sauce.  It's my go to sauce for pulled pork..

2 cups Cider Vinegar
    1/2 cup Ketchup
    1 t Salt
    2 t Red Pepper Flakes
    1-2 T Sugar
    1 t Black Pepper
    1/2 t Onion Powder
    1/2 t Garlic Powder

Whisk together to dissolve sugar & Ketchup

Bring to simmer, turn off, and let sit as long as you can

Adjust seasonings for Salt/Sweetness 
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Phatchris
    Options
    @CarolinaCrazy‌ that recipe sounds great... How much pulled pork does that work for?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    @CarolinaCrazy‌ that recipe sounds great... How much pulled pork does that work for?
    Make extra. A vinegar based sauce like that will last a long time in the fridge.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Phatchris
    Options
    Thanks... Just curious how much people generally use per 7 or 8 lb butt
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Chris, for a good vinegar sauce recipe, google elder ward. His "traditional" sauce is similar to what I use and typical of eastern nc.

Here's another recipe that I like. More western nc. Neither requires cooking, just mix and slop it on.

1 cup apple cider vinegar 1 cup ketchup 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar 1 tablespoon yellow mustard 1 tablespoon molasses 1 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Enjoy!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Phatchris
    Options
    ^ nice exactly what I was looking for, I just need some proportions
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Here is Elder Ward's method. It is very good.
    (A)The Traditional North Carolina Sauce I grew up with.
    This would be from my mothers side of the family who are a bunch of flatlanders near the coast.  We only came down out of the hills to see them just enough to keep the peace in the family and my mother from running back home for good.  She hated the mountains.  We all loved her folks.

· 1 C white vinegar
    · 1 C cider vinegar
    · 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    · 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    · 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    · 1 tsp. kosher salt
    · 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups

Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    I love Elder's vinegar sauce, you can't go wrong. BUT, I now converted to a South Carolina mustard based sauce, and I'm not sure that I'll ever go back
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    ^ I just need some proportions

No you don't. Just slop some on. Really.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Options
    Pour a bunch on, then taste, then pour a bunch on, then taste, and so on... Also have some extra so some people can put even more on. It's even better if you put Elder's slaw on top.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah, what everyone is saying. Make at least 2x what you think you will need. It will last forever in the fridge. If you make too much on your first try, no big deal. If you don't make enough...

Around here vinegar sauces don't go. Everyone likes sweet sticky sauces. Personally if I'm adding any, it is vinegar based.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Phatchris
    Options
    I love vinegar based and have been winging it... These are all great suggestions.. Thanks... I'll google Elder Ward's slaw.... My wife has been doing an asian style peanut slaw that works really well with pork.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Personally, i like KFC slaw on a pork bbq sammich as well as any. Check out the KFC slaw recipe at TopSecret recipes. http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/KFC-Cole-Copycat-Slaw.html Great stuff!!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Lexington style. Similar to above just a bit of ketchup and brown sugar - but still very much a vinegar sauce. Also kicks arse on grilled chicken
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    DMW said:
    Phatchris said:
    Make extra. A vinegar based sauce like that will last a long time in the fridge.

Yes - it will last weeks in the fridge!

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Phatchris said:

That should do you for 1 shoulder/
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Oh, there is an Eastern style sauce? That's cute.... :D
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    TTC said:

Lexington style. Similar to above just a bit of ketchup and brown sugar - but still very much a vinegar sauce. Also kicks arse on grilled chicken

@TTC‌, Lexington Style has no brown sugar in it.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options

Oh.  It's on. @Tarheelmatt

Oh, there is an Eastern style sauce? That's cute.... :D

• TTC
    Options
    Well, then whomever gave me the recipe for Lexington #1 dip was a liar, lol

Ikon pass 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @TTC‌, it could be a variation, but true Honeymonk / Speedy's BBQ doesn't have any brown sugar in it. It has white sugar.

When I make my sauce, I add brown sugar.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    All this talk of NC Q has me wishing I could cook a butt this weekend. Still have my leftover lexington dip and eastern sauce from Labor Day weekend.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• TTC
    Options
    And that is why NC rules. From Aiden to Goldsboro to Lexington, it's all as good as pig gets

Ikon pass 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    In all honesty, I like both styles. Lexington is my hometown and is my favorite , but I like the other fare too.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Love me some red slaw.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Find Wicker's. ...freaking great stuff.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Phatchris
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌ have you tried turbo? Or should I go with what I know low and slow..,,,?