Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

such a disappointing day

Options
Today was the day I smoked up my bacon.  Since the egg was going, I planned to do some ribs while I'm at it.  Lit the coals, mixed in some cherry and hickory, indirect raised grid, got the temp semi-stable.  Threw on the bacon while the temp was climbing to 250.  Threw the ribs on at about 250.  Temp spiked to 270, but nothing terrible.  Bacon came off at IT 150.  It wasn't what I expected, and the ends were very salty.  I'm reserving judgment on this until I have time to cool it and slice it proper.  The ribs... on the other hand.  They came off after 6 hours (sauced at 5).  Don't know what happened here, but the bottoms were crispy and nigh impenetrable.  The meat wasn't terribly tender, what meat there was left... it's one of those days that tests your resolve.  Does every cook go perfectly, or even well?  No.  Do you give up?  No.  You keep trying, keep cooking, you choke down that bacon and go make some more.  Make it better next time, always make it better next time.  I have a brisket planned for the Seattle game... gosh I hope it goes well.

Comments

• jerryb78
    Options
    Some days you eat the bear.  Some days the bear eats you.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Learn from your mistakes. We al make them.
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    All a man can do is take it in stride and keep on rolling. You can't win them all. The laws of averages and probability can not be beaten by anyone. Lord knows I've tried, but to no avail. You will nail it next time brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Sorry to hear. It happens to all of us.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    like my dear ol granny used to say, $hit happens.  :-S

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I suspect the bacon will be fine.

6 hours seems like a long time for ribs.  Mine are usually done in about 4 hours, and occasionally go for 5 (although I do cook them a little higher).  Did you pull the membrane?

You might also check your dome thermo.
    NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options

On the ribs, I've had the same experience on two occasions.  I've chalked it up to too much radiant heat from below.  Did you have a drip pan that was spaced off the platesetter?

Also, did you sauce your ribs.  A sauce with sugar will do that if it is exposed to temps over about 300.  Again, radiant heat could be part of the problem.

But as you mentioned, just keep plugging away at it.  We all have days like this.  That's what beer is for.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

SWMBO keeps telling me it takes longer to cook things in Colorado (altitude).  I've cooked ribs for 7 hours that were almost properly done, and I've done 6 hour ribs that were perfect.  Looking back, I think I got my fire too hot for too long.  I checked the bacon this morning and it's firmed up nicely, so I should be slicing tonight.  The book did say the end pieces would likely be salty.  I just hope they slice up and fry nicely.  Chalking up the ribs to an anomaly.  Like Seattle's loss in San Diego, gotta suck it up, learn from it, look to the next cook. 

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    If you didnt have to toss them out still a good cook (by the way how was the bacon) :D
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • calracefan
    Options

Also you might check the calibration on your thermometer !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    The bacon actually turned out decent.  Had some tonight with pancakes (breakfast for dinner is awesome!).  SWMBO says it's more like breakfast ham than bacon... I don't know what the difference is.  You make bacon with breakfast... it's made from pork, pork is ham... I don't get it.  She says I can make it again, so it must be alright.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited September 2014
    Options

Your problem on the ribs is too long in the Egg.  At that temp, it should have taken no more than five hours and probably less.  I've always found five hours at 250 is perfect.  Another hour at that or even a higher temp would scorch them and dry them out.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    You have the right attitude! If at first you burn the crap out of it........try try again!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Eggsalent
    Options

A quote from Winston Churchill says it best.  Never, never, never give up.

And I believe it was said after ruining ribs on the grill

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    @kennylee I believe you are right.  Normally I do them at a lower temp, and this was my first attempt at doing them a bit hotter.  I normally do 6 hours, but I didn't account for the higher cook temps.  I think I'll keep them at a lower temp, since that seems to work well enough.
  • KennyLee
    Options
    @SeahawksEGGHead Definitely happens sometimes.  I've had my temp get too high too quick a few times and had a hard time getting it back to where I wanted it and just had to adjust the cook time accordingly. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer