Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Fish Cook. Drop Mic. Exit Stage Left.

Options
Wanting to try fish on the LBGE for the first time and instead of looking for an "egg" plan, I went with no plan!

1) Found a random recipe online for grilled salmon with a pineapple, mango, strawberry salsa (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/grilled-salmon-with-a-pineapple-mango-and-strawberry-salsa-recipe.html)

2) Purchased all ingredients, including 2 fillets of salmon (about 40 oz each, skin on) and 1 ahi tuna steak (10 oz).

3) Generously seasoned all fish with EVOO and seasoning per recipe

4) Brought egg up to 450 dome with standard setup of grid on top of fire ring for direct cook.

5) Salmon cooked skin up for 3 minutes, turned 45 degrees and cooked for 3 more minutes.  Turned skin side down for an additional 5 minutes

6) Took off Salmon and got egg up to about 600 almost instantly

7) Threw on ahi tuna steak for about 2 minutes per side.

8) Leftovers were being raved about for days after. The best fish meal I've ever cook. (baked clam done in oven).

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. I love grilled salmon. The only concern that I have is you said and I quote: "leftovers were being raved about for days after".
    There should never be leftovers my friend. Never. ;) A mans got to eat no?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Your salmon does look amazing my friend. Solid cook.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• aznative75
    Options
    Yes, I know there should never be left overs.  I was wondering how long it would take someone to say it. 

That being said, it was one of those situations where you buy the meat thinking you don't want to buy too much.  Take it home, look at it over and over, thinking you didn't buy enough for everyone. But after you cook it, add some sides and plate it, you realize you probably could have bought even less than you really did.  

Anyone looking for a great salmon recipe, I highly recommend this one.
  • SGH
    Options
    I'm just messing with you about the left overs man. Your food looks great. Just for the record, I could have eaten it all ;)

Status- Standing by.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Home run!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I thought you had screwed up big time as I was reading your post: cooking way to hot, cooking way to low to the coals (talking about the salmon only). I cook salmon at 350 RAISED. Next week when I get back home I will do it your way. Outstanding =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• aznative75
    Options
    Thanks Mickey! Like I said, I went in without a plan, just winged-it with common sense.  Let the egg stabilize at 450.  I also kept the lid closed except when moving/flipping.

Check flakiness of the salmon with a fork before pulling and just use time as a guide.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks Mickey! Like I said, I went in without a plan, just winged-it with common sense.  Let the egg stabilize at 450.  I also kept the lid closed except when moving/flipping.

Check flakiness of the salmon with a fork before pulling and just use time as a guide.  

I never ever anytime cook with the lid open except to flip or Wok or Fry.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Awesome cook. Love fish on the Egg.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    You nailed it!   :-bd

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Cool. Never thought of cooking salmon that way.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Whoohoo! Awesome cook :-c
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Ahi looks superb!! I see this in my very near future. Good job

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Winner, winner! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

Dig!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bookmarked!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos