Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Could have been a lot worse...

Well after years of egging, a couple of important safety lessons were reinforced last night… 1) never cut corners, and 2) live fire (even controlled) can be extremely dangerous. When in use, I usually place my Jr. Joe on my stone patio, safely away from the fence and deck. Rain was threatening and I just needed a quick sear on some SV beef ribs - so I decided to place the Joe Jr. on top of a small slate table on my deck (first time I'd ever done that). The Jr. was running around 550*. Went to open the lid and the entire unit tilted back in the stand. That was enough to shift the weight to the tipping point. Still not sure how I managed to put the fire out before the deck caught. Definitely dodged a bullet, but the Jr. is gone. Looks like the XL will be getting more use now.

Ajax, ON Canada
(XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    This is not good.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Was the table not level or the grill not seated in the stand correctly? I wouldn't think the stand would allow that to happen if designed properly. Sorry about the event. I know that popping sound well.
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Was the table not level or the grill not seated in the stand correctly? I wouldn't think the stand would allow that to happen if designed properly. Sorry about the event. I know that popping sound well.
    Table was level but a bit wobbly and wet. I'm also convinced that somehow the Jr. was not sitting flush on the stand - if it was, it wouldn't have tipped back the way it did.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Some people will do anything for a new xl.
    >:D<
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I would say it is fate. God wants you to have a mini max.

all joking aside thanks God all that happened was a broke cooker and not a full blown house fire.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bweekes
    I would say it is fate. God wants you to have a mini max. all joking aside thanks God all that happened was a broke cooker and not a full blown house fire.
    Ha! I knew the mini-max topic would come up here! In truth, I had my eyes set on a mini-max, but didn't have the patience to wait, so I went the Joe Jr. route. SWMBO will not entertain any incremental costs, so unless I get this thing warrantied, I'm flying solo with the XL BGE that I have.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Sorry you lost your Jr., but as you said, could have been a lot worse, decks can get going pretty quickly and spread just as quickly.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Wow, glad everyone was safe. Sure hurts to see a loss like that but you are so right...could have been real bad.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Is that asparagus?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Glad everything turned out ok. Great advice for the old dogs out there and the newbies.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Good news is no real damage, other than the little guy. May have shifted in the stand when you moved it, something you've prolly done countless times with no ill effect. 

Although you were surprised how quickly you got the fire out what did you use? I have a couple of extinguishers close, very surprised how many folks don't. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Are you going to eat that asparagus?  (he says as he reaches for his screen with a fork)

Seriously, thanks for the share and glad to hear no major damage was done.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bweekes said:

Well after years of egging, a couple of important safety lessons were reinforced last night… 1) never cut corners, and 2) live fire (even controlled) can be extremely dangerous. When in use, I usually place my Jr. Joe on my stone patio, safely away from the fence and deck. Rain was threatening and I just needed a quick sear on some SV beef ribs - so I decided to place the Joe Jr. on top of a small slate table on my deck (first time I'd ever done that). The Jr. was running around 550*. Went to open the lid and the entire unit tilted back in the stand. That was enough to shift the weight to the tipping point. Still not sure how I managed to put the fire out before the deck caught. Definitely dodged a bullet, but the Jr. is gone. Looks like the XL will be getting more use now.

Mine sits much lower in its stand....how do, errr did you have yours in there?
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • bweekes
    Is that asparagus?  
    Yes the asparagus was also a casualty of the accident. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Good news is no real damage, other than the little guy. May have shifted in the stand when you moved it, something you've prolly done countless times with no ill effect. 

Although you were surprised how quickly you got the fire out what did you use? I have a couple of extinguishers close, very surprised how many folks don't. 
    Reached for the closest thing - the garden hose! It's terrible that I have to learn the hard way, but I'll definitely be investing in an extinguisher now. That was some scary stuff last night. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes
    Gogogordy said:
    bweekes said:

I hear you and I'm just as confused. It must have lifted somehow when I was moving it.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • bweekes said:
    Gogogordy said:
    bweekes said:

I hear you and I'm just as confused. It must have lifted somehow when I was moving it.  

That sucks.... Sorry for you, just domt quite see how it could happen. Good luck warranty-wise.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Does the red head actually sit on anything or does it "hang" in the stand? I can't tell from the pic.
  • bweekes
    Does the red head actually sit on anything or does it "hang" in the stand? I can't tell from the pic.
    It sits on the base of the stand, which is really just an iron cross brace. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Sorry to hear it. All the best on trying to get it warranted.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited September 2014
    Thank God you were fast on your feet and got the hose. It could have been a lot worst...

If the warrantee thing doesn't work out, you can still try to salvage it using JB Weld. My Kub had a cracked base all the way from the rim, bottom vent, down into the bottom. (Wasn't sure if it cracked around the bottom, so I JB weld it anyway,). Less than 1 tub set and it works great.

I did a test fire in the middle of the yard before using it on the porch. Just sayin.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Thank the lord no one got hurt and only items that can be re-bought was damaged!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thank the lord no one got hurt and only items that can be re-bought was damaged!  

So true tarheelmatt, this sounds like a spot of my bad luck.

BTW I'm a fellow tarheel myself, Fayetteville. 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The springs on the lid are strong. I sat mine on my driveway which slants backwards a little and when I open the dome and just let it go it will rock it. On flat ground its fine or if you just hold the handle its fine but its not like an egg where if you open it half way its going to go back down it will continue up.