Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you clean your small egg?

Options
I have had my small for a couple of months now, and am surprised how difficult it is to clean.  The space in the bottom is small (smaller than I think it needs to be),  and it fills up quick.  The air vent hole is also small - too small for any of my vacuum attachments.  I made my own attachment out of 1" plastic tubing, but it gets plugged up with chunks.  Today, I removed all the lump, took all the parts out of the inside, and cleaned it.  There was a lot of crap in the bottom, and after only a couple of cooks.

Looks to me like I will need to do this every couple of cooks which is a PITA.  How do you handle it?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I get it the best I can with the ash tool and prolly take it apart once a month and sweep it out with an old paint brush. May take 5-6 mins total. I think @caliking modified his ash tool to work better with the small but I haven't got around to that yet.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I just clean it every few cooks. I usually can get by with 5or 6 "quick" cooks without cleaning it. If i do low and slow, I always clean it afterwards. But honestly as light as all the parts are, I just pull em, sit em on a piece of cardboard snd clean it real quick. Not a huge deal.

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I basically fill the egg to the top of the fire ring with lump. Then cook till it's gone (usually 4-5 cooks) then clean it out and start over. I use the ash tool between cooks.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I don't have the ash tool, did not know there was one for the small!  Another eggcessory I need to acquire
    Rochester, NY
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    I don't have a small (Mini + KJ Classic) but use a Loveless Ash Vac on both.  Makes cleanup a breeze.  (Ash Vac has protection against hot embers..far better than a shop vac).
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I basically fill the egg to the top of the fire ring with lump. Then cook till it's gone (usually 4-5 cooks) then clean it out and start over. I use the ash tool between cooks.
    +1

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    I don't have a small (Mini + KJ Classic) but use a Loveless Ash Vac on both.  Makes cleanup a breeze.  (Ash Vac has protection against hot embers..far better than a shop vac).
    Holy smokes, that ash vacuum is $274 on Amazon.  I guess I will suffer with what I have been doing so far, with the addition of an ash tool.  As for doing several cooks without a refill, I am often searing, so want the lump to be close to the grate.  As a result, I top it off for each cook, and have been cleaning out every 2-3 though it is a pain.
    Rochester, NY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Here's a "cleaner-outer" as I call it that I made years ago for my small. It consists of a 90 degree bend at the end of a strip of steel and then I Pop-riveted a piece of 1.25" x .75" brass. The Pop-rivet lets it pivot in the center. This thing is 14 years old and still rocks and gets in and out of the hole in my small.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cajuncook
    Options
    Use my leaf blower from the top and blow ash through the vent. Or vice versa. It will get messy.
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • rifrench
    Options
    Normally after emptying the unburned lump and ash grate, I scoop out the ashes and small bits of lump with my hand. I can't get it all that way, and spread the remainder around on the bottom inside the fire box. I haven't had any problems...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia