Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noob!

Options
Just a quick post:  I picked up my XL last night.  No time to assemble then, hope to get it together tonight.  I can't wait to start cooking on it.  I have seen some awesome recipes here and on other sites.  So much to try!  Never heard of "spatchcock" before joining this forum.....interesting idea...will certainly try that.

Not sure what I'm going to cook first.  I think spatchcock Cornish game hen.  Maybe chicken....or some wings!  I am committed to doing the T-day turkey on the egg.

Thanks!  I will post pics of the first cook!
XL BGE  -  Jackson, California

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on the XL!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    What up dog? Welcome.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Welcome.  Spatchcock chicken is a great noob cook because it's just so damn good you'll be amazed

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Welcome! 
    yeah my first cook on my egg was a spatchcock chicken. That was nine years ago. Since then I've cooked dozens of them. 
    It's a good one to start with. It's not a high temp cook and it will come out so good that you will impress those you are feeding.
    I never cooked Cornish hens on my egg, I might give that a try.
    My biggest tip for you is - 
    after you light your egg, let the smoke clear and the coals burn clean before you start cooking.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the herd.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Make it to an Eggfest and put some names with some faces.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tjosborne
    Options
    Welcome, enjoy your egg.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Welcome, and remember the beer!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome!!! There will be some bumps in the road but enjoy the ride. There are way more peaks than valleys.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    Welcome to the life

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo & get out your wallet cause you need lots of acc.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Welcome... Make sure to have fun and take plenty of pics
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    welcome and yes spatchcock chicken is god for first cook
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome to the Egglife, Spatchcock is great, then try a butt, they're pretty forgiving. Enjoy!
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to our world...... Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee.. Equal part: Brown Sugar.. ½ part: Black Pepper.. ½ part: Kosher Salt.. ½ part: Garlic Powder.. ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder.. Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome brother. Enjoy the new egg.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Welcome to the asylum! 
    Check out Mad Max Turkey - did one a few weeks ago on my MBGE, you can get a much bigger one on your XL.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Congrats on your first Egg!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • stonedog03
    Options
    Thanks all of you!  Man, assembly was a bit of a PITA...not difficult, just a bit time consuming.  I found the instructions a bit confusing.  Especially in the area of the hinges.  It failed the "dollar bill" test on the first go around.

And yes, I NEED lots of accessories!  I already bought a Woo2 with stone and drip pan.  That actually arrived BEFORE the egg!  The CGS stuff is REALLY nice.  Very high quality!  Like a noob I ordered the egg with a platesetter....don't really need that with the Woo2.  Oh well.  I think I need some CI grates and for sure I need a digiq.

I'm looking forward to a pork butt on this baby!  Last one I did in my electric smoker went 18hrs and was AWESOME.  Bet the egg does it better!
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Welcome to the forum :) and Congrats on your new egg. As stated earlier, your best eggcesory will be the beer!! Dont forget to post pics too.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome fellow Egger. I have been wondering something, my dealer told me they had to assemble it for the warranty to be good, but I see a lot of people on here that assemble their own eggs. I didn't mind because it was an XL and they said they would deliver it for free. At the time my left hip was shot too. I don't know if I will ever assemble one because I will most likely buy all my eggs from them. Has anyone else had their dealer tell them they had to assemble their egg for warranty reasons. Mine was a floor model too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggsalent
    Options
    welcome Gratz on the XL Egg
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Welcome aboard, the egg does a wonderful job of cooking. There is a ton of great people here willing to share info and ideas. There is even one guy on here that is an expert on helping you spend you $$ on the greatest and latest toys. You have already met him. :ar! All in fun, but true. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini