Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Vacuum Sealer Reviews and Uses

Options
lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,767
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
Looking to get a vacuum sealer. Like to hear input on 1. Best Brand and 2. Uses besides sealing for storage
Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I bought a Foodsaver "V2840" model several years ago and have been eggtremely happy. I only use it to seal food and freeze them.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Other than the usual, buying large cuts of meat/chicken/brats and freezing the more appropriate sizes, I like it for leftovers and dividing non-meat items. 
    Grandkids would live on cheese, we buy the 5 pound block at Costco, divide it into four or five blocks, wrap in plastic and then vac pack. Lasts in the fridge for months. Mozzarella is even better - without the vac pack it seems to go bad in a week or two, vac packed good for a couple months or more. 
    Spices and herbs, bought in bilk will keep for months, if not years in a vac pack. 

Sous vide (or Trés Booblay as I call it) is much easier in Food Saver bags than zip locks. 

If you take the plunge - keep your eyes open for sales on Food saver rolls, price is often better than buying generic and the quality is top notch. 

Tip for saving money is if you pack 4 blocks of cheese in one large bag (made from a roll) you can open the sealed bag, remove a block or two, then reseal the original bag until needed. 

FoodSaver V3840 and an old Gamesaver. (I use the FoodSaver the most)

(If you have a Costco membership - keep an eye, currently the 4880 is on sale for $150, Amazon's price is almost $170)

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    edited September 2014
    Options
    You need to consider the cost per use. In short, the more inexpensive models like Foodsaver use special textured bags which can cost something like $0.40 each--depending on size, of course. 

A chamber style sealer, where the whole bag goes inside a vacuum chamber, uses smooth bags that can cost as little as $0.05 each. Chamber sealers also let you seal liquids, which are harder or impossible in a Foodsaver style edge sealer. 

So, the big questions... 

How sensitive are you to the cost of consumables? Me, I will spend more up front for something if it is cheaper to operate, as long as it works out in the end.

Do you want to seal wet items, or liquids, or powders? If so, an edge sealer isn't a good choice. If you are just sealing cuts of meat and other solid items, an edge sealer works. 

Do you see yourself sealing a lot, or just once in a while? If you are going to be a heavy user, chamber sealers tend to be more reliable and are definitely cheaper to operate. 

I got an expensive chamber sealer, and I love it. With the bags costing a few cents each, I seal everything. By buying a sealer than can use the cheaper bags, I think I have saved about $200 in the cost of consumables this year, over about 600 uses. 

If you are a heavy user like me, an $900 chamber sealer will pay for itself in about 4-5 years... So it's not such a crazy idea, especially since that $150 Foodsaver might bite the dust under the same workload and require replacement. 

I'm a huge sealer fan, can you tell?
  • lkapigian
    Options

You need to consider the cost per use. In short, the more inexpensive models like Foodsaver use special textured bags which can cost something like $0.40 each--depending on size, of course. 

A chamber style sealer, where the whole bag goes inside a vacuum chamber, uses smooth bags that can cost as little as $0.05 each. Chamber sealers also let you seal liquids, which are harder or impossible in a Foodsaver style edge sealer. 

So, the big questions... 

How sensitive are you to the cost of consumables? Me, I will spend more up front for something if it is cheaper to operate, as long as it works out in the end.

Do you want to seal wet items, or liquids, or powders? If so, an edge sealer isn't a good choice. If you are just sealing cuts of meat and other solid items, an edge sealer works. 

Do you see yourself sealing a lot, or just once in a while? If you are going to be a heavy user, chamber sealers tend to be more reliable and are definitely cheaper to operate. 

I got an expensive chamber sealer, and I love it. With the bags costing a few cents each, I seal everything. By buying a sealer than can use the cheaper bags, I think I have saved about $200 in the cost of consumables this year, over about 600 uses. 

If you are a heavy user like me, an $900 chamber sealer will pay for itself in about 4-5 years... So it's not such a crazy idea, especially since that $150 Foodsaver might bite the dust under the same workload and require replacement. 

I'm a huge sealer fan, can you tell?
    Thank you . I think it's one of those things I may use more than I thought "how did I go without one "
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    One unmentioned downside to the chamber sealer is it's size and weight. It's a beast of a piece of equipment and not something easily brought out and put away. You need somewhere you can set it up and leave it. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Another use: protecting non food items from moisture and water. I have some metal items in my garage that I have sealed in vac bags. I have also sealed some old papers in vac bags for protection. Living in hurricane territory, I have an emergency supply kit prepared. Several items in the kit are protected in vac bags.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    I have my Vacmaster chamber sealer on a cart I roll out of closet when needed. I LOVE it.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I have my Vacmaster chamber sealer on a cart I roll out of closet when needed. I LOVE it.
    That's a good solution!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Anyone using them in food preparation ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2014
    Options
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I've had brisket and ribs weeks later from a frozen vac seal and they tasted great.
    Seattle, WA
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Vacmaster VP215; a pricy unit, but outstanding.

If you sign up for there email list you will get 15% off your first purchase. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @horseflexh - agree completely, decide what you need and if you plan to do lots, like preserving garden harvest or berries in season, a chamber sealer might be the way to go, I use about $60 worth of rolls a year (never bought bags) so the low end FoodSaver made sense. I've considered a chamber sealer for the advantage of liquids in the sous vide - just could not justify it. 
    It is kinda like the breakpoint analysis on an inkjet vs laser printer - do the math. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!