Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dunkin Donuts ?

Options
2»

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    attempt number six ( AKA drive by ) 9PM. I refuse to sit in line.image
    dd.JPG 100.4K
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    There is a DD about half mile from the house. 4yo likes the donut holes. Nothing more better than Krispy Creme or Tim Hortons. A doughnut is a doughnut. I can can get a good one from the local grocery store just as good. Heat up some oil in a CI DO and throw in some store bought bread dough , mix in a paper bag with some sugar and you get a great treat. When fresh better than any franchise doughnut place.
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've had better coffee from a gas station that is 2 days old- donuts are okay if you like cake style. But again- coffee is some of the worst around-
    Greensboro, NC
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited September 2014
    Options
    They must be putting crack in 'em.

I'm a donut fanatic. When I stop at the store on my way to work, they practically take my temperature if I don't buy donuts. Dunkin Donuts really isn't much different than Winchell's or Yum Yum donuts. When I was stationed in CA. I noticed a lot of the old Winchell's were converted into private donut shops. All are good depending on freshness. Not anything to get excited about.

Krispy Kreme on the other hand is a different story. If the Hot Light is on, I'll run people over to get a donut. No joke. Unfortunately the closest Krispy Kreme(120 miles) closed. A trip to Billings just isn't the same. image
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have a vendor that brings DD to me every visit. I don't eat any of them, and as soon as he leaves I take them out to the plant for the guys. Most of the time they are still there a couple of hours later. 

I don't care for them at all. Now Krispy Kreme would be a totally different story. I would take the few that were left home. 

I guess it is an acquired taste. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Tonight's lunch. Better than DD.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I'm into the local donut shops. There are a couple in Durham - Monuts and Rise - that are really amazing.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Donna's Donuts in Flint rocks! The place is a hole in the wall, but their donuts are top notch! The coffee is good too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fractured Prune is very good too. I don't know their spread, though.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The coffee sucks and the donuts are like lead. Mickey D's has better coffee

Allies Donuts in North Kingstown RI has THE BEST DONUTS in the nation. Walking in the shop the aroma will knock you over - doughnuts the way they used to be made!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    i grew up on dunkins, dont like krispy kreme sugar donuts and am the biggest starbucks hater
    :D  whats with that overly burnt tasting starbucks. i just like a plain oldfashioned dipping donut, no sugar, creme, glaze, frosting, jelly....i dont know where in newengland i could stand without a dd within 10 to 15 minutes of me. my new favorite though is heav'nly donuts with a cream cheese pastry
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    The coffee is good, IMO the donuts are only middle of the road. I love the good mom & pop donut shops. These chains just don't cut it for me, they taste mass produced.
    I agree with that where DD is concerned. However, I have yet to find a better doughnut than a fresh hot glazed Krispy Kreme that you get in the shop. I still wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes for it though.

Several months before I retired I signed with Krispy Kreme for delivery. They brought a very nice enclosed stand and each morning at 4:00am brought 6 doz fresh assorted donuts for the morning service customers. If I had not retired I would have weighed 400lbs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I would have to say the only donut I would stand in line for would be a "Round Rock Donut" from Round Rock TX. Best damn donut I have ever tasted.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    If you want a simple donut, KK when hot and fresh are hard to beat.  If you want variety, DD has it.  I like DD's chocolate cake donut with coconut on top. 

I wouldn't wait in any line for one that reached front door, no less stand outside in line for one. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey
    Options
    PLUS 1 @hotch. Orange (color not taste) Round Rock Donuts are the very best.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    @Mickey Are they the ones that make donuts the size of your head? My FIL's wife raves about them and I beleive they are in RR, where she works.
  • Mickey
    Options

@Mickey Are they the ones that make donuts the size of your head? My FIL's wife raves about them and I beleive they are in RR, where she works.

YES. They have both size. Also in the Austin Airport.

• GATraveller
    Options
    I can (and have) eaten a dozen HOT Krispy Kreme in one sitting.  DD is good but I wouldn't stand in a line more than a few people deep for them.  Did I mention I love donuts??

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Krispy Kreme is night and day better IMHO. But DD coffee is 100x better than KK. It's all about your taste. Now, I've got a buddy that eggs his bread pudding from fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts!!!!

now that's some good s#$t right there

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• apfroggy0408
    Options
    Definitely can't be KK's fresh glazed donuts. I'm also a big fan of their traditional donuts and blueberry traditional donuts. Kroger carries KK's powdered donuts in a bag, I love those very very much.

dunkin donuts have good variety donuts. Make great red velvet cake donuts and their sour cream donuts are good too.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    The jalepeno cheese bagel is worthy of a 5-6 person line to me.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The only place I willingly wait for breakfast is Bronx Brothers bagels original location. They have a $5 bacon egg and cheese bagel that's enough for breakfast and lunch.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    hapster said:

Compared to Wawa; DD is crap...

Sheetz is better.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Compared to Wawa; DD is crap...
    Sheetz is better. image
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    The coffee is good, but the donuts are just ok. They don't make the donuts fresh at the stores anymore. They arrive on a truck in the morning. Our local grocery store names them fresh in store every day and they are amazing.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Well Sunday afternoon we drove by DD again and the line was about 20 people long so we decided WTH lets try this place out.  We happened to get there at just in time because within 20 min the line was about 100 people long again.  It took about 30 min to get to the front of the line. 
    Well conclusion is these things suck and I will never go back we ended up playing with our donuts.  Thank god this chapter of my life is completed.  
    imageimage
    Hermosa Beach CA