Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daddy Daycare

Options
Our two year old son usually goes to an in-home daycare with 12 other kids.  It's a great environment with a very loving couple who have been taking care of kids for nearly 30 years.  In fact, had they had room at the time, my sister and I would have gone there for.  The husband was a Boy Scout leader of mine... this story could go on, and on...

On Sunday, Norma had a heart attack.  A huge shock to all of us to get the phone call from her son to say they were putting her on the "chopper" to Denver now, and that daycare would be closed for the week.  My wife and I looked at each other and said "what do we do?"  We do not really have a back up plan for something like this.  Our parents live very close, but asking them to take a week or better off is kind of out of the question.  What are we going to do?  Putting our heads together we figured that we could each take a couple days off and stay home with our son.  But what about some of the others?  Our son has a little friend that goes to the same daycare, and we often camp and do activities with his parents.   Lets give them a call and see what they are doing.  In talking to them, we came up with a plan.  One of them would take the boys on Monday, my wife would take Tuesday, and I got today.

So what is a guy to make for meals for these two boys...  Hmmm  I have an egg.  I got lots of stuff we can feed them.

I decided yesterday on individual pizzas for the boys.   I was going to make my own dough, but after yesterday at work, and an after work meeting that went longer than planned, I just ran by the store and got a premade crust.

Nothing fancy here for the boys, just a basic tomato sauce, a little Italian seasoning, some ground beef, pepperoni, and canadian bacon and some grated cheddar jack cheese.

Got the egg up to 500 with PS legs down, copper tees, and the pizza stone.

I ran them with the parchment paper for 5 min, then 5 minutes off.  I think I could have gone a little less on the time off the parchment.  The crust got a little dark for my taste and the boys.

I got them laid down for their nap, and then made a daddy pizza.

Timed it too long on this one also, but still not bad for my first attempt on the egg.  Will keep a better eye on them the next time, but certainly something I will do again.
No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
Eggheads Everywhere Map
Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Anyway you look at, what's better than skipping work to chill with your kid and his friend all day.

My prayers go out to Norma and her family.  Hope she has a speedy recovery.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Not exactly the best circumstance but still nice to be able to stay home with the wee ones. always a treat. 

Please give our best wishes to Norma and family. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tkleager
    Options
    Will do. 

Our understanding is that they put in a stent, and she was home last night.  Ran into her husband at the store and he said that maybe this was a blessing for both of them to get their health back in order.  She talked to my wife yesterday at some point on the phone and daycare will be back open on Monday with some people coming in to help out.

Kind of funny that I'm rather enjoying this.  The boys have been a lot of fun.  Wife says it's time for another one.  I kind of agree.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • fljoemon
    Options
    Our prayers with Norma too .. tomorrow make them spiralled hot dogs on the BGE!

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Way to step up @tkleager. I hope Norma will be ok. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    tkleager said:
    Will do. 

Our understanding is that they put in a stent, and she was home last night.  Ran into her husband at the store and he said that maybe this was a blessing for both of them to get their health back in order.  She talked to my wife yesterday at some point on the phone and daycare will be back open on Monday with some people coming in to help out.

Kind of funny that I'm rather enjoying this.  The boys have been a lot of fun.  Wife says it's time for another one.  I kind of agree.

Great story and I'm with your wife... Time for another one...Another Egg, right?

Go Big Red!!!

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    In my book you just proved to your son with actions, not just words that, "hey, I'm worth spending time with..." No better role model for a boy than his dad. Way to go...btw, pizza looks good, stop hatin'.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    For work I visit the whole spectrum of different businesses and industrials. The most depressing ones are not the nursing homes as you might suspect. The most depressing by far are the daycares. Most are nice, but some are not. What they have in common is they are warehouses children are placed in for the day. Nobody cares for your child more than you. Don't they deserve the best?
    My oldest spent a month in one and I decided never again. I work days and Wilma works nights. It works for us.

I'm sure I've offended somebody.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Been @ home full time with my kids 5 & 2, since the beginning.

I'm very fortunate and its been a blast. Sure it took a while and there were weird feelings in the beginning but its about whats best for each individual family. I'm on the go constantly making sure my kids keep busy and have some fun each day.

I am just sharing what I do and not making a call on daycare either way.

Good luck!
    Seattle, WA
  • tkleager
    Options
    Thanks for the idea @fljoemon.  I don't get the boys tomorrow.  They are going to the other boys house, and his dad is taking the boys to the zoo.  But something to keep in mind.

I don't know if SWMBO will go for another egg just yet @thetrim.  Although we have discussed the "unicorn" MiniMax if it ever shows up.  But even my dad, who is my dealer doesn't have a clue when it will show up.  The last time he heard has come and past.

Fred19Flintstone - no offense taken here. 

People can say what they want.  Norma's is far from the warehouse that a lot of the other places around are.  She and her husband are like a 3rd set of grandparents for my little guy.  We made the choice to place him there because of the environment he is in.  Yes, he might not get the "preschool" education that some the other places "provide", but we are happy.  Hell, the day I found out we were expecting, I was already on the phone to get on her list.  We were lucky, his spot opened up in December of '11 and he was born January of '12.  I was actually upset the last couple of days the we haven't taken him.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map