Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your favorite tailgate cooks?

Options

College Football is upon us.  What is your favorite game day cook

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About

Comments

• Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options
    DOVE is mine, finger food exotic and fun to acquire...
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    ABT's and Wings for me. I never say no to a moink ball or 2 either though. My wife really likes bacon wrapped shrimp with a little red chili pepper and garlic.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Skirt steak tacos :D
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    BRATS!!
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    ABT's and wings and sliders on kings hawaiian rolls.

Little Rock, AR

• Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    Kirt's Slap yo Mama Gumbo!  Best Gumbo east & west of the Mississippi.  Named for a coon-ass that commentated on it was better than his own mama ever made.  I'm a Texas boy on top of that...
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • Redskull
    Redskull Posts: 55
    Options
    I have made it for numerous I-Bowl & Marti-Gras tailgate parties in the Shreveport area, my son lives there, we do it every year.
    MESQUITE, TEXAS - LBGE, Tejas Smoker, Circle-J 24" open pit grill, indoor & outdoor cooking, beer, camping, more beer & cooking...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Runzas. Corn on the cob. ABTs, lollipops and anything my guests request. But, MUST be served with a Redeye. GBR!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    For those that don't bring an egg to the game and are using a small portable gasser what are your tailgate foods. I hate cooking on it. We have a small tailgate party now.

Garnerville, NY
  • Phatchris
    Options
    I always tailgate with a weber little Q, I do tacos(steak, chicken or breakfast), burgers, dogs, brats, itslian sausages with peppers and onions, steak tips, wings......

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2014
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    For those that don't bring an egg to the game and are using a small portable gasser what are your tailgate foods. I hate cooking on it. We have a small tailgate party now.

Why would you not bring an Egg? image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Phatchris said:

I always tailgate with a weber little Q, I do tacos(steak, chicken or breakfast), burgers, dogs, brats, itslian sausages with peppers and onions, steak tips, wings......

Steak tips? More info please.

Little Rock, AR

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Grilled chicken; boneless, skinless, marinaded in Italian Dressing overnight in a large plastic bag. Just light the grill, toss it on, throw the bag away. Make chicken sliders with lettuce, red onion, and fresh cilantro. Throw in some salsa and chips with beverages of choice then maybe, maybe all you need is a chair and a little shade!
  • Phatchris
    edited August 2014
    Options
    They are a New England thing... Marinaded Flap steak cut into 2''' or so pieces and grilled. Here's one of the more famous places around Boston.

Newbridgecafe.com

Also a marinade

8oz homemade Italian dressing ( olive oil& red wine vinegar + dried Italian seasonings)
    8oz cranberry juice
    6oz coke
    10oz Heinz Ketchup

Marinate 4-5 lbs of flap steak "tips" for 24 hours in fridge.

Grill over a nice hot flame.

Serve with a salad , or in a spuckie roll.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Mickey said:
    robnybbq said:

Why would you not bring an Egg? image

Good idea but where do you put the egg to cool down after the cook? If it's hot and on fire.

Garnerville, NY
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @Phatchris‌ how do you do them yourself?

Little Rock, AR

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You all have weird priorities. Cooking? Really?

• Phatchris
    Options

@Phatchris‌ how do you do them yourself?

Around here pretty much every butcher and grocery store has them in bags pre- marinaded or already cut. If you can find flap meat just cut it into kabob sized pieces and marinate in whatever you like, I usually do some variation of what I posted above... Olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, ketchup, lemon juice, maybe a little cola.

Then once marinaded for a day or so , I grill direct around. 450-500 till medium.then tend to be more tender at Medium to medium well than rare. Sometime I'll skewer them.
  • Phatchris
    Options

Phatchris said:

Steak tips? More info please.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-best-inexpensive-steak-for-the-grill-part-4-flap-meat-sirloin-tip.html
  • Texansurf
    Texansurf Posts: 507
    Options

A small bge would nt even hold my bar at a tech home game, we typically cook for 50-200 people the only relief is when I can get the frat to step up and cook for alumns hoping to get so donations. Slabs and chunks of beef, pork, chicken, mutton, venison, elk or whatever,

GUNS UP bitches WELCOM TO RAIDER LAND>>>

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @Phatchris‌ will you post pics next time you cook them? Sounds really good. I'm intrigued. Gonna definitely look into this.

Little Rock, AR

• Redskull
    Options
    By popular demand, I make my "SLAP YO MOMMA" Gumbo, all from scratch on a two burner LP cooker, served with long grain rice & hard crested bread for sopping up the rue...

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    robnybbq said:

@robnybbq,

The best tailgate cook I ever did on my small portable gasser was blackened beef tenderloin sliders.  A cast iron pan will get hot enough to cook them.  I took a whole prime tenderloin and sliced off slider portions (about 5/8 - 3/4" thick) right at the site. 

Brats are a close second.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Redskull
    Options
    First of all, I don't have the luxury and help to transport a LBGE to a tailgate.  My LP cooker has 2 30,000 BTU burners, it is far from being a small gasser.  I can cook up my gumbo and a big a$$ pot of chili that will feed 50 plus people.  I love my LBGE, but I am limited to how much I can cook for such a large crowd.  I live in Mesquite, TX, my oldest son lives in Bossier City, LA with my granddaughters.  We tailgate the Independence bowl every year except last year.  He works for the Air Force, and all his buddies & family stop by to eat before and after the game.  We also do Marti-Graus as well in February.  Again, the Gumbo is by popular demand by my guests.

Best Gumbo by far, east or west of the Mississippi, I guarantee, so I have been told.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I would love some good gumbo.  Up north you just cant get it.  I need to take a trip to New Orleans soon.

Garnerville, NY
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Grilled chicken; boneless, skinless, marinaded in Italian Dressing overnight in a large plastic bag. Just light the grill, toss it on, throw the bag away. Make chicken sliders with lettuce, red onion, and fresh cilantro. Throw in some salsa and chips with beverages of choice then maybe, maybe all you need is a chair and a little shade!

Try marinating in margarita mix and tequila of course. I made skewers of those last year cooking at a farmers market and they were great! Margarita Sliders is killa!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    @Redskull, post up a gumbo recipe for us Fla. Crackers who are gumbo challenged, PLEASE....

The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!