Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Wish List

Options
SmyrnaGA
SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
So, SWMBO asked me for a wish list because our relatives always asks her (last minute) what to get me for Christmas.  I can't put things I need in a month or two, nor something I won't use much.(they get upset if it just sits unused)  I don't want to put all big ticket items on the list, (maybe one or two?)  Well, here's the list of stuff I have that's used often:

- Large Green Egg - Nest, mates, platesetter, Round Perforated Cooking Grid, BGE CI grate & grate lifters.
- KJ Jr. - Perforated Wok.
- Vision Kub.
- Thermapen.
- BGE remote temperature probe.

Not used often:
- Small Green Egg. (hard to clean)
- Folding Grill Extender. (nice novelty, I kept burning food on the bottom grate if I'm not standing in front of the egg the whole time.  This is suppose to be FUN, not WORK.)

Wish List:
- 12" pizza stone.
- Grill Grate (13") or BGE Small CI Grate (love my Large CI Grate, don't know much about the Grill Grates)

items on the fence:
- Stoker/DigiQ/PartyQ - (Nice to have, but, it's like cheating...)
- Mini Woo - (I've only used the Kub to grill so far.  Somehow, I can't see myself stuffing a big hunk of meat in that tiny thing when I have 2 other options available.  I'll probably use it once or twice and then it'll just sit there unloved...  Correct me if I'm wrong.)
- SS Top Cap (for LGE) - (I just want it to keep the rain out, which I can get a $10 roof vent @RRP)

Any suggests or feedback are welcomed. No MinMax please since I DOUBT it'll be released before Christmas, and my family will get upset if they can't find one in the stores.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I really like my swing grates from @CGW for both my Small and Large Eggs. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Yeti tumbler. Yeti cooler. The BGE tongs are actually well made and long so they are nice. I have been eyeing the half moon stone for my XL so I can do direct and indirect with the same setup seems like a nice addition. If your thermapen isn't back lit upgrade it.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I could really go for a gift certificate from Firecraft.com.

Lump and rubs. Nothing makes me feel more jolly than getting lump and rubs. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • badinfluence
    Options
    How about a smokew are stainless top.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I'd ask for the Thermapen. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Shopvac to clean that small egg and start using it.

Little Rock, AR

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Have you got two front teeth? How about a hippopotamus?
    Flint, Michigan
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    To live where its warm to Egg all year round.  Sorry I hate the cold.

Other than that, a real nice pizza stone and cooking lessons/class.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

Hi54putty what swing grates?  All I see are woos, spiders, and normal grates.  (link please!)

@Lit adding tongs to the list.(can never have enough of those)  I don't go camping so a Yeti won't do me much good. (... or am I missing something??)  My thermapen is not backlit, but, I can't justify another one.  I could give that to my sister as a hand-me-down... hum...

johnkitchens  Gift card to firecraft is a good idea, but, I still got over 700 lbs of charcoal in the garage.  Recent 40lbs of Kamado Joe charcoal is actually in my way to my wood chunks...

mountaindewbass Wow!  Pig Tail Flipper AND Kick ash Basket looks awesome!  (adding to list)

@badinfluence I'm on the fence with the SW stainless top...  People on another thread seems to have problems getting a clean seal.

@TheBuckeye The back-lit Thermapen seems wasteful since I got the regular one.  BTW, the Pink is fastest!

@Biggreenpharmacist My small makes more ash than my other cookers for some reason.  I was using Rockwood which leave little to no ash in the LGE and Kub, but, after just 2 cooks in the small, the ash was filled 3/4 of the way up to the charcoal grate blocking the bottom vent!?!!

@robnybbq it still gets down to the 30s in Georgia in the winter AND we get the hot & humid summer as a bonus!  Cooking classes sounds like a good idea.

in Smyrna GA.

• SmyrnaGA
    Options
    Have you got two front teeth? How about a hippopotamus?
    The two front teeth are on backorder 'til March 2015.  A hippo won't fit on my patio.  They eat a lot and sh*t a lot too.  I rather invite @badinfulence and @SGH over for that!

in Smyrna GA.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My small makes a lot of ash, but its not really a problem unless I do a long low and slow.  I can usually do higher heat quick cooks (steak, chops, burgers) 4 or 5 times without cleaning it all the way out.  If it gets too bad, I can stick the shop vac (with thin extension) in through the vent and get enough room to cook for a while. 

Little Rock, AR

• tkleager
    Options
    How are your grilling tools?  New spatula, meat hook, tongs, weed burner, MAPP Torch...

How about Grate Racks?  I have a set that I use for my plate setter, and my grids when not in use.

No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    My small makes a lot of ash, but its not really a problem unless I do a long low and slow.  I can usually do higher heat quick cooks (steak, chops, burgers) 4 or 5 times without cleaning it all the way out.  If it gets too bad, I can stick the shop vac (with thin extension) in through the vent and get enough room to cook for a while. 
    Yeah, the small was really easy to use.  It never got out of control on me like the Large.  Came up to grilling temps faster too.

in Smyrna GA.

• fljoemon
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:

Hi54putty what swing grates?  All I see are woos, spiders, and normal grates.  (link please!)

Swing Grates - 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System. I have these are they are great for big cooks.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options
    tkleager said:
    How are your grilling tools?  New spatula, meat hook, tongs, weed burner, MAPP Torch...

How about Grate Racks?  I have a set that I use for my plate setter, and my grids when not in use.

I bought one and returned it since I can't use it on my nest.  I built a stone platform and never installed the wheels on the nest.  Without the height of the wheels, the grate is just sitting on the stone.  Long story why I did that...

in Smyrna GA.

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Not sure what your family and/or friends financial situation is, but for mine, they don't really have a lot of money to spend, so for the cheaper things that are always good to have (even extra):

- Lump Charcoal
    - Variety of wood chips/chunks
    - Charcoal Starters (unless you use some other lighting technique)
    - Pizza Eggcesories like cutters, pizza peel, etc.
    - Grill Rings
    - Gloves

Of course, there are always the bigger ticket items that you can shoot for. These are just some 'lower cost' items for thought.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am in the same boat a Zarcon except for my wife's parents and my mom. My mom usually gives all of us kids money for us to buy what we want. Its usually $100, but has been more before. Parent in laws is a good sum too, so will give them big ticket items. My wish list is as follows: Either AR or CGW swinging grate Woo 3 Pit controller Pizza stone for XL Lump Rubs Wood Gloves Mini or Small eggs are out, to big of a ticket item.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Word of advice. Since you already have a dual probe remote thermo, simply add the reasonably priced party-q and you basically have a controller with remote read capability. The setup is possibly better than the digiQ setup IMHO. The smoke ware top is a winner as well. Good luck.
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options

Word of advice. Since you already have a dual probe remote thermo, simply add the reasonably priced party-q and you basically have a controller with remote read capability. The setup is possibly better than the digiQ setup IMHO. The smoke ware top is a winner as well. Good luck.

Yeah, I can't justify the DigiQ or stoker because of the remote therm.

Adding IR gun to the list. They all work the same, right?

in Smyrna GA.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would put the IR surface gun down the list a ways. Thermapen and party q are going to used more often.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Another pit controller to look at is the Pitmaster IQ 110 if you already have a dual probe. Thats the one I am thinking of getting from @stlcharcoal. Party Q looks good too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    Another pit controller to look at is the Pitmaster IQ 110 if you already have a dual probe. Thats the one I am thinking of getting from @stlcharcoal. Party Q looks good too.

I would recommend the 110 over the PartyQ, especially with the XL.  The PartyQ is going to be more expensive, and is a little underpowered for the XL in my opinion.  It does fine for low and slow, but with a 5-cfm fan, it's not the best for fast start ups, fast recovery, or maintaining high temps.  It's a fine unit otherwise......great for the smaller BGE's, especially for tailgating.