Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Question.

Options
lkapigian
lkapigian Posts: 10,760
So those that use a Sous Vide how do you incorporate it into your cooks ie use the Egg to finish the cook or do you use the Sous Vide only. I was just imaging posts showing up with guys showing off their new Sous Vide table, sitting around smoking a cigar with a good scotch and watching the warm water cook the food. Help me fill in the blanks of the Sous Vide Cook ;-)
Visalia, Ca @lkapigian

Comments

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    I use mine to cook steaks to medium then sear using my Baking Steel on the Egg.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    SV does a spectacular job of cooking various meats just right in terms of tenderness and moistness. One of the classics is a 72 hour cook for beef short ribs. The meat kind of "pops" in your mouth, its so juicy and tender. But the flavor can be quite low. Searing them on the Egg for a few minutes corrects that.

Cooking ribs on the Egg long enough to get a good dose of smoke, maybe 45 - 60 minutes, and then going SV results in super tender and smoky. But, good for a last trip to a direct sear to crisp up the outside.

And, yes, SV is remarkably undramatic. No odor, no boiling water. Kind of weird. For instance "Just spent 3 days watching the status lights, and haven't begun to salivate at all."  But after a sear, that is forgotten.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    I've got 4 steaks in right now using my Anova...temp set to 130
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Will soon be pulling some short ribs that have been going since Thurs. I may fire up the mini to sear them but haven't made up my mind yet, since I'm feeling just a tad lazy today.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    SV does a spectacular job of cooking various meats just right in terms of tenderness and moistness. One of the classics is a 72 hour cook for beef short ribs. The meat kind of "pops" in your mouth, its so juicy and tender. But the flavor can be quite low. Searing them on the Egg for a few minutes corrects that.

Cooking ribs on the Egg long enough to get a good dose of smoke, maybe 45 - 60 minutes, and then going SV results in super tender and smoky. But, good for a last trip to a direct sear to crisp up the outside.

And, yes, SV is remarkably undramatic. No odor, no boiling water. Kind of weird. For instance "Just spent 3 days watching the status lights, and haven't begun to salivate at all."  But after a sear, that is forgotten.
    </blockquot Thanks
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Options
    Do you still need to let the steaks sit after the sear?
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options
    SV  also buys you time. You get your protein the way you want it and if you are entertaining, you can spend less time worrying about timing etc.. I did 52 hour beef short ribs (didn't have 72 hrs available) and they were incredibly delicious. Love my SV.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Springram
    Options
    pflug said:
    Do you still need to let the steaks sit after the sear?
    No.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    edited June 2014
    Options
    if anyone is interested, there's still time to grab the Anova II, although most of the better deals are gone already, and you have to buy at least two!
    canuckland
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    What is also great about sous vide is that bag of juice you get is full of flavor.  The only problem I have had is using the juice successfully in the time between unbagging the meat and serving dinner.  It is full of uncoagulated protein which makes a mess of your sauce as soon as the heat hits it so you have to strain it or filter it out and then proceed.  But the results can be awesome.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For chops, chicken breasts and steaks - the usual hotter grill items, we have found the combination of Trés Booblay and skillet sear to work the best. Seldom use the egg at all. Somehow it just didn't seem right to fire the egg up for a two minute sear. 

The MCAH burger, SV and then deep fried, has become a recent family favourite. SV is just another tool in the quest for the variety of different tastes and textures.    
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @BigWader - that's what I did, boiled and strained the bag juice, then added S&P and garlic powder, I accidentally added too much garlic powder and it turned out better than usual!

@Skiddymarker - I don't fire up the egg just to sear either.  It's usuallly butane torch, baking steel or CI pan on induction cooktop, or Lodge CI grill.  Haven't tried MCAH deep fried steak or burger yet.

canuckland
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Canugghead - the burger is very good. Had the deep fryer on for french fries and when they come out, the SV burger went in. 
    Straining the bag juice makes a good "broth" (?) not sure what to call it, throw in the freezer and add to next gravy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

Regarding texture, SWMBO does not like shrimp done SV. To her, they taste "undercooked" even though they are done and fully cooked.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    So far I have used mine to reheat frozen leftovers the most. Tastes as good as brand new.  It's also a great solution for cooking tougher cuts (grass fed steaks, short ribs, etc)  

I'm still learning mine though.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Springram
    Options
    I will say that to light up the LBGE to use my Baking Steel is a lot of charcoal for only a one minute +/- sea on each side of steaks.  Works great when cling several steaks. The Baking Steel at 550* + does a wonderful sear.

I could not find anyone locally to make a small steel for my Mini. I have ordered a 9" diameter Baking Steel that will fit the Mini. Hopefully will get it in a couple of weeks. I tried using a pan on the Mini but could not get it hot enough. Also wife has high iron so cannot use cast iron plate.

Since most of the time it is just my wife and I, the Mini will be used to sear the steaks.
    Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • lkapigian
    Options
    All interesting
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EGGlomaniac
    Options

I just did a skirt steak the other day using my sous vide and the results were out of this world. Known as a tough cut of steak (but very flavorful..), the final results were pull apart in your fingers, and so moist. I also battled with firing up the egg for a minute sear on each side, so, this time finished it off on the stove to sear in a cast iron skillet. The next time I do something in the sous vide that I want to finish on the egg, I will cook other pieces of meat on the egg at the same time to justify the charcoal use.

How I did the skirt steak to taste wonderful? Very simple. Took the skirt steak and sprinkled with a little "Bone Sucking Sauce" steak rub on each side. Vacuum sealed and put in sous vide at 127 degrees for approx. 18 hours, then patted the steak dry and seared on stove top (cast iron pan) for 1 min. per side. My first skirt steak, sous vide style, and the results were amazing! Next time I will cook additional items on the Egg and finish with the skirt steak.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm glad you had good results.  Sous vide is a great technique, and perfect for the "lazy" cook like I can be. 

One word of advice, keep any cooks under 131F less than 4 hours, or ramp your temp up to at least 131, where you can safely cook indefinitely.   At 127, assuming your temp is correct, some bacteria can still multiply.  This is the most important safety rule-of-thumb that you should follow with sous vide cooking.  Otherwise, be creative and eat well!
    Options
    So I have a question on water evaporation is it an issue? do you just put it in a pot that has an abundance of water? If you do have to add what is the protocol
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Foil is your friend
    lkapigian said:
    So I have a question on water evaporation is it an issue? do you just put it in a pot that has an abundance of water? If you do have to add what is the protocol
    Foil is your friend. Cover the pot/vessel with foil and if possible, give it a touch of a lower center, the evaporation will rise to the foil and drip back in. Always wise to check water level on long SV use, but if the pot is sealed/covered with foil you seldom will have to add water. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Just pour more water in, no protocol.  SV is a slow process, if the temp dips down for a few minutes it's not a big deal.

I use an insulated cooler for long and big cooks.  I have some styrofoam with a cutout that I cover the top with.  I've used heavy duty bubble wrap as well.  There is little evaporation this way.  Some people use plastic ping-pong like balls to curb evaporation. 
    Options
    Ok I'm in, I think I will buy one
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Got my Anova last week. Tried two 1" first cut strips. I cooked the 2 hours at 140 and they turned out beautifully cooked medium. I seasoned them as I would for the egg before i vacuumed them. Some how the seasoning was not there after searing on the ci over the cooktop. Otherwise the steaks were perfectly cooked. What did I do to lose the seasoning? What can I do to keep the seasoning? ( I used garlic salt and seasonall)
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you check your vac bag, it had liquid in it after the two hour bubble. Much of the seasoning is there. Dry the surface of the steaks and re-season or use a board sauce (recommended) before the sear. Remember if you really hit high temps, the only season that will survive is salt. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Yes, as skiddy said, the seasoning comes off in the juice and bag.  I season a second time before grilling.
    Options
    Board sauce? Not familiar with board sauce. Please elaborate. (Read novice here)

I may be an old dog, but I CAN learn new tricks.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • fljoemon
    Options
    @eggo, Board Sauces are sauces that you put on the cutting board and then slice the steak on the cutting board to absorb/coat the meat in the sauces.

Adam Perry Lang has bunch of good board sauces. Here's a link to couple: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/other_fun_sauces/board_sauces.html
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Thanks fljoemon, googled it and it looks like something I will be trying soon.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Great info!
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE