Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain cap?

Options
Just so I know when I go to pick up my egg, does the LBGE still come with feet and a ceramic rain cap? I've been reading different things. Thanks.

Comments

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I got my XL at an Eggfest. Yes to ceramic cap (although I've heard it's NOT good for rain). I use my stainless for cooking and the ceramic for shutting it down (ceramic works MUCH better for that, IMO). I did not get feet, but mine came with a nest, so I'm not sure about that.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Monaarts
    Options
    I read the XL never came with feet but maybe I'm wrong? And the ceramic cap I'd only want for shutting down the fire and using to cover the hole when the egg isn't in use.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    No feet, they were discontinued two or three years ago, now like the proverbial hen's teeth. The ceramic cap is only used when the egg is not in use, keeps water and air out. You can cook with a DFMT in the rain, provided it is not a monsoon - but many use a stainless rain cap for cooking. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Stainless Smokeware cap
    I bought this for overnighters where there was a chance of rain.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If buying a SmokeWare cap merely to block rain then save yourself a bunch of money and just buy a metal roof vent cap for under $10. Get an 8" one and it will rest over Miss Daisey!image
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmyrnaGA
    Options

RRP said:
    If buying a SmokeWare cap merely to block rain then save yourself a bunch of money and just buy a metal roof vent cap for under $10. Get an 8" one and it will rest over Miss Daisey!image
    Oh... I guess THAT's off my list now.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Just be forewarned that those vent caps get very hot and you need to handle it with a tool or gloves.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.