Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware ss cap question/issue

2»

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    RRP said:
    SkinnyV said:

Thanks! In my humble opinion that is your whole problem! The gasket in the bottom like that is not going to get compressed when pushed down tight. Scroll back up this thread and see how I placed my gasket that came with my cap right under the vent openings of the SmokeWare. Mine is very tight and does not move!

Might be onto something here...I will add I didn't even use a gasket on my SW at first and my fire still snuffed out. This may help but im wondering if there is also a leak somewhere else contributing to the draft.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • @RRP‌ I have my gasket in the same exact spot on the smoke ware as you. Mine will not snuff out. I've come out and checked my XL hours later and it's still at 225 after a steak etc. I think the problem is the male/female joint is letting air through.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I set mine up with the gasket on the inside of the chimney. Had it a few months now; plenty of gunk on the inside...

My egg was around 550° when I shut it down tonight... About 90min later it is now around 175°
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    @RRP‌ I have my gasket in the same exact spot on the smoke ware as you. Mine will not snuff out. I've come out and checked my XL hours later and it's still at 225 after a steak etc. I think the problem is the male/female joint is letting air through.
    could be, but my experience is high temperatures are never due to a faulty top letting air OUT, but either a poor gasket leaking air IN between the dome and the base. Or even a bad silicone seal around the very bottom S/S vent...but blaming all that on a bad "exit" - sorry I don't agree!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2014
    hapster said:
    I set mine up with the gasket on the inside of the chimney. Had it a few months now; plenty of gunk on the inside... My egg was around 550° when I shut it down tonight... About 90min later it is now around 175°

I'm not sure why I am setting myself up like some kind of SmokeWare expert because I am not,other than being a very satisfied user. Now I do ask you this - 550 at close down which means a HOT ceramic dome and then 90 minutes later the dome thermometer is still reading 175. Do you really find THAT strange? Are you comparing that to something you knew from prior cooks before switching to a SmokeWare? Get my point?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    RRP said:
    hapster said:
    I set mine up with the gasket on the inside of the chimney. Had it a few months now; plenty of gunk on the inside... My egg was around 550° when I shut it down tonight... About 90min later it is now around 175°

I'm not sure why I am setting myself up like some kin of SmokeWare expert because I am not,other than being a very satisfied user. Now I do ask you this - 550 at close down which means a HOT ceramic done and then 90 minutes later the dome thermometer is still reading 175. Do you really find THAT strange? Are you comparing that to something you knew from prior cooks before switching to a SmokeWare? Get my point?
    @RRP I think you read @hapster the wrong way. I interpret it as he is happy with the shutdown performance of the Smokeware. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    RRP said:
    SkinnyV said:
    pic removed

Thanks! In my humble opinion that is your whole problem! The gasket in the bottom like that is not going to get compressed when pushed down tight. Scroll back up this thread and see how I placed my gasket that came with my cap right under the vent openings of the SmokeWare. Mine is very tight and does not move!
    I'm not disagreeing with you about his placement of the gasket, but I know I put my gasket up very close to the openings and it fits nice and snug, but I have noticed my Egg doesn't seem to shutdown and cool off as quickly as it used to with my ceramic cap.  My top piece fits well with the base piece, but I can tell it isn't as tight of a seal as I think my ole ceramic cap was.  So, with a little bit of air leakage, there is a little bit more oxygen getting in to keep it smoldering a little longer.

So, while I may be burning a little more lump during shutdown and so it takes longer, I think the benefits of the Smokeware cap outweigh the cons. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    edited September 2014
    Update:  SmokeWare got back to me over the weekend, and they have offered to send me another piece of the gasket material to see if it works better.

I think I'll take them upon that offer and then place one piece on the Egg down low, and one inside the SW base unit (per the photo posted by RRP) and see how that works.

I did have another flash of inspiration that I'd like to run past you for comment/sanity check.

Because the cap seems to be loose on the SW base, I thought I'd see if I could find some flue tape and put one layer around the outside of the SW base unit, two if it's still loose, so the cap would be snugger (is that a word?).

3M makes a high temp flue tape rated at 600 degrees.  The problem will be finding it here in San Diego.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • I follow RRP instructions and mine works perfectly.
  • I put my gasket material in the dome and it seems to be working just fine.
    Flint, Michigan
  • So if I do both... should be a "lock".
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Is this cap solution looking for a problem?  My ceramic cap with a gasket is 100% airtight, and without a gasket the ceramic was probably was 95% airtight.
  • Cowdogs said:
    Is this cap solution looking for a problem?  My ceramic cap with a gasket is 100% airtight, and without a gasket the ceramic was probably was 95% airtight.
    I purchased the SmokeWare cap because I feel it has grilling advantages over the BGE daisy wheel cap.
    What I am trying to do currently is adjust/fine tune it so that it works at least as well as my ceramic cap for putting out the fire after a grill session. This thread has so far highlighted things that others have tried.