Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Acorns/stupid question but what the heck.

Options
sctdg
sctdg Posts: 301
edited September 2014 in EggHead Forum
Where I live there are a lot of Oak trees. Many of them over driveways and when you look at those cars parked under those oaks the roofs and hoods look like they have been hit by a ball-peen hammer .In my back yard are a few Oaks and my egg is under them . My question is will a falling acorn chip my egg? Yes this does sound stupid but I have even seen chips put in windshields from acorns . Even if I move egg, when wind blows acorns are flying everywhere . At this time of year you almost need a hard hat to go out there and cook ,no joke . Cutting them down would be a simple solution but most are on neighbors property and they do provide a good amount of welcomed shade in the hot summer months. So again my question is does anyone know if an acorn hit would chip an egg?? All my other grills and smokers are metal and never had to address this before .

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited September 2014
    Options
    No - falling acorns will not chip an egg even if the trees pepper your egg! BTW I have the same issue with numerous hickory trees and when those nuts fall like crazy with the husks still on they hurt!, but not enough to damage my eggs!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sctdg
    Options
    Thanks RRP .Thought there were others with same situation and a lot more experience with egg than me .
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    not to be a smart a$$..but if you are concerned enough to ask...why don't you just move it or cover it?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• sctdg
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Can't move it far enough away .It is covered when not in use .Can't keep it covered when cooking . Right now it is uncovered ,just finished a pizza .It is cooling down and the Acorn Rain is happening .Girlfriend and me don't sit back there at this time of year .Hard hat area .
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    May be another stupid question..... Can you use the acorns instead of smoking wood? @RRP have you ever tried to smoke with the hickory nuts?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    May be another stupid question..... Can you use the acorns instead of smoking wood? @RRP have you ever tried to smoke with the hickory nuts?
    Acorns - NO
    Hickory Nuts - YES
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    where in the hell do you live where acorns dent cars and crack windshields? I never want to go there.

I have 30 oak trees in my yard and my biggest concern is raking them up before they grow saplings and scooping them out of my pool. 

Seems like you could shoot an acorn with a wrist rocket and not crack a windshield. Imagine what that would do to your noggin. I wouldn't go outside all fall!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex  I'm trying to get a mental image of that. Acorns falling so hard that you risk your life walking outdoors. Dented cars and broken windshields all over the place. People running holding shields over their heads or helmets getting from one place from another. Dogs afraid to go outside to poop. =))
    I am not making fun of the op @sctdg has a legitamate concern. I know that. I for some reason find Cen-Tex comments hilarious. My apoligies to the op.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• RRP
    Options
    Hey guys, I too have been peppered with acorns, but the hickory nuts are the ones that hurt! They have a sharp pointed end. When those still in a husk bonk you on the noggin they hurt, but when the nuts still in the trees start to dry then the nuts fall like little missiles! Either that or the tree rats are throwing them at us! A neighbor of mine just had a 35 foot hickory by his driveway cut down this summer. The hood and roof of his '13 Cadillac had small dents that resembled hail marks.
  • sctdg
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Thanks RRP at least someone can relate. That's really the way it is,forget about sitting in your back yard during those nice fall days..
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    where in the hell do you live where acorns dent cars and crack windshields? I never want to go there.

I have 30 oak trees in my yard and my biggest concern is raking them up before they grow saplings and scooping them out of my pool. 

Seems like you could shoot an acorn with a wrist rocket and not crack a windshield. Imagine what that would do to your noggin. I wouldn't go outside all fall!

Wrist Rocket - there's a device I love - local cats scatter when I just hold it up. Chestnuts will go through a non-safety glass window (5 year old grandson knows for sure), not many Oaks around here. Back in Eastern Ontario we had a huge Oak in the back yard, used to dent the hell out of cans with the Wrist Rocket. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    It sounds like you guys need more squirrels. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • RRP
    Options
    It sounds like you guys need more squirrels. 

Trust me we have our share of wildlife. Deer eat acorns, but not hickories. Squirrels plant acorns but eat hickories, but the nut production outstrips the demand!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    We have acorns here, but in my yard it is pecans that we get hammered with. Every morning for the past few weeks the squirrels have been gathering the pecans and eating them in the trees above my dogs yard. He is getting hit all morning by pecans and pecan shells. 

Every now and again he will catch a squirrel. 

@RRP my new neighbors moved down from Roseville, IL. I think that is pretty close to you isn't it? 

• RRP
    Options
    We have acorns here, but in my yard it is pecans that we get hammered with. Every morning for the past few weeks the squirrels have been gathering the pecans and eating them in the trees above my dogs yard. He is getting hit all morning by pecans and pecan shells. 

Every now and again he will catch a squirrel. 

@RRP my new neighbors moved down from Roseville, IL. I think that is pretty close to you isn't it? 

Had to look up Roseville as I had never heard if it, but I see it is a tiny village about 40 miles to our West with only 1,000 pop counting the cats and dogs too! Are they eggers?
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    They aren't eggers yet, but with my two going next door they are getting tempted!