Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to reconstitute frozen pull pork?

Options
Budgeezer
Budgeezer Posts: 669
We are in the process of getting ready for our golf tournament and I pre-made the pulled pork and froze it.  What is the best way to reconstitute the portion that we will be using for sandwiches?  I saw a thread a while back that mentioned using Coke but was unable to locate the exact info.  The intent is to thaw the pork and then place in a crockpot on low while we are on the course. Looking for ideas on how to retain the moisture.

TIA
Edina, MN

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    To be honest, I always just thaw in the fridge and nuke it really quickly. It works just fine for smaller portions at least. How much are you looking to reheat?
    Dunedin, FL
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I like to vac seal and then freeze. When it's time to reheat I throw it (still in the bag) in a big pot of boiling water. Taste like it just came off the egg.

This probably didn't answer your question though. Sorry I have never reheated in a crockpot.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Budgeezer
    Options
    @yzzi we are looking to reheat about 7lbs for the sandwiches.

Thanks for your responses.
    Edina, MN

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Vac bagged or zip locked?? If vac bagged, those should do fine in a warm bath / crockpot. If a ziplock, I'd transfer it to a crockpot liner bag and tie it shut and drop into warm water in the crockpot....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• DoctorMojo
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I like to vac seal and then freeze. When it's time to reheat I throw it (still in the bag) in a big pot of boiling water. Taste like it just came off the egg. This probably didn't answer your question though. Sorry I have never reheated in a crockpot.
    +1

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I cook the pulled pork for the High School football games at my sons school, I generally smoke 4 butts, shred and sauce them and into food savor bags, about 3lbs per bag. I bag them in long bags so they are only about 1/2" thick. On game day we use around 12-15 lbs so I stand 4 or 5 bags in simmering water in a tall stock pot for an hour or 2 and transport in the bags in a large foil pan. We open the bags as we go so if we don't sell all they go back into the freezer in the unopened bags. The BBQ comes out as good as it went in, very moist.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I like to vac seal and then freeze. When it's time to reheat I throw it (still in the bag) in a big pot of boiling water. Taste like it just came off the egg. This probably didn't answer your question though. Sorry I have never reheated in a crockpot.
    this is absolutely the best way to do it 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC