Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cool down time

I have seen a couple of posts on here about how long it takes the egg to cool down. I shut both vents immediately after I take my food off, and it generally takes several hours for the egg to cool down to a level where I feel comfortable putting the cover back on it. Even after a few hours after closing the vents the temperature is only down 150-200 degrees. Virtually every time I can't cover it till the next morning. Is this consistent with everyone else's experience? It doesn't seem to make a difference if I use smokeware cap or the green ceramic one. Thanks.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    That's why I haven't used my cover in about 5 years. Well, one reason anyway. Besides that, it's a pain and it's unnecessary.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• That is my experience as well of course depending on cooking temp. Last night we had flat iron steak cooked at 600 and it was still warm at 11pm.  Of course now it has rained overnight so it won't get covered until the table dries. This is often the case which is why I am about to give up on the cover.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Depending on the cook, you may want to let her go for bit before snuffing. A spatched chicken, done raised direct at 400º will have dripped quite a bit of fat onto non-burning lump. If you don't get some of that out while it is still hot, you will have a long start on the next cook to get sweet smoke. Many actually open the vents slightly and let the egg burn for 10-20 minutes after the cook to clean the grids and dripped fat, than snuff. 
    And yes, the greatest strength of the egg is one of its weaknesses - it hold heat very well. 

Never used a cover. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    I was pressured by the dealer into buying a cover when I bought my first Lgbge. I only used it a couple times. I got tired of taking it on and off every day.
    I see absolutly no need to use a cover. My bge still looks great after nine plus years without being covered.
    IMO A cover is a waste of money and time.
    But maybe it depends on your weather conditions.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Toss the cover and don't worry about it ever again.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Been chased off my old gassers many times when removing covers and disturbing some stinging insect nest.... Happy Naked Egg owner here!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    I really only cover in the winter, snow and freezing temps freeze the lid shut otherwise.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2014
    Phatchris said:
    I really only cover in the winter, snow and freezing temps freeze the lid shut otherwise.

I live in CT. It snows and gets cold here. It's not International Falls, but it's COLD!! I never cover my egg and in the 5 years I have owned it, it has never frozen. Not once. I think it's because I have a Rutland, on the bottom only. Whatever the reason, it doesn't freeze, ever.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I cover mine once the egg hits 200 dome, at which point I can rest my hand on the egg without taking it off. No issues whatsoever. It takes 2-3 hours.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    I live in CT. It snows and gets cold here. It's not International Falls, but it's COLD!! I never cover my egg and in the 5 years I have owned it, it has never frozen. Not once. I think it's because I have a Rutland, on the bottom only. Whatever the reason, it doesn't freeze, ever.
    I do live in the Land of Ice and Snow, only slightly south of International Falls. I don't cover my BGE's either. What I do do is drop a 60 watt light bulb in through the top vent and let it go all winter. In my opinion, for those who live in cold climates, the light bulb will prevent condensation and mold growth, prevent moisture accumulation freezing in pores in the ceramics and cracking it, and prevent the Egg from freezing shut. That electricity use works out to costing me about $3.45 per month, or about $15 per year.
  • I

I cover mine once the egg hits 200 dome, at which point I can rest my hand on the egg without taking it off. No issues whatsoever. It takes 2-3 hours.

I haul mine in and out of my unheated garage. It sits at -30 and only froze once, when I had used a water tray for my ribs. Don't use the water anymore and no issues.

New Brunswick, Canada

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My eggs are stored in the garage right now. I have found that if I set up a fan from behind the egg and have it hitting mid level on the egg it cools down in under half the time.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Mine is always cool enough to cover before I go to bed.  Always within 4 hours for the XL, faster for the small.  The XL is in a table with lots of tools and accessories, drip pans etc.  We get lots of wind here.  I don't want my stuff blowing away, and I don't want bird **** on my egg or table, so mine is always covered.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    I just wait til the next morning to cover mine.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    XC242 said:
    I just wait til the next morning to cover mine.
    Same here.  It takes at least 6 hours for my XL to cool down.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.