Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When one isn't enough

You get another right. Proud owner of the small BGE. Almost went the KJ route but the store I deal with is close compared to the KJ dealer. Couldn't be happier to be a multi egg owner. Lookin forward to tips from the small eggers out there. Now I can start my outdoor multi egg table cooking area. imageimage
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I hope you are as happy with your small as I am. BTW my small is a real workhouse and gets 60 to 65% of all my biz! L and a S is the perfect combination!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Toss that cast grate and get a HiQue and you're all set.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited September 2014
    Congrats on the new toy. Happy egging.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    RRP said:
    I hope you are as happy with your small as I am. BTW my small is a real workhouse and gets 60 to 65% of all my biz! L and a S is the perfect combination!
    I agree, I have a large and a small great combo.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I really like mine too. I cook raised direct or direct on mine most of the time. I like the deep fire box so I can manage the heat. Hope you like your's too.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    An order to cgs this week and a hi que grate and my egging needs will be set for a while. That is until...

• JRWhitee
    The best part is he travels well. This was Saturday at the USC - Georgia game.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Just added the SBGE last month (LBGE was a lonely camper).  I ordered in the high-que grate (stock grate on the LBGE) and the CGS woo and 10" stone based on several recommendations here.  The recommendations were "spot-on" but I don't know the alternatives.   It is a hacker.  @cazzy and @DMW are quite proficient with maximizing the SBGE performance and output.  
    I really like it-house demographics-2 adults for the most part now-but two mid-twenties male children who can hammer the groceries.  You will enjoy it!  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JRWhitee
    Now we just need the Jets to beat the Packers.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    @JRWhitee - Tee, hee, hee, hee, hee...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • JRWhitee
    There was a silver lining, I have Jordy on my fantasy team....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Nice, you will enjoy it. Great little cooker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • grege345 said:

An order to cgs this week and a hi que grate and my egging needs will be set for a while. That is until...

Get the woo and stone, a Hique grate, and

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-8834-Gourmet-System-Grate/dp/B0044ERTDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410741256&sr=8-1&keywords=Weber+sear+grate

And you will be SET!!!

Little Rock, AR

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Congrats!! You will so happy with it cause it is a true workhorse

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grege345
    I ran it a little today. Ran it at 250 for a while just to get use to the vents. Super easy btw. Then I brought it up to 350 and cooked some chicken

• I love mine. When cooking burgers or chops it seems more consistent than my large. I guess because of smaller diameter the heat is more focused. My large seems to have more hot/cool spots with not all the lump burning at once. With my small, its pretty much ALL burning if you arent doing low and slow. I hope you enjoy ykurs like I have mine.

Little Rock, AR

• grege345
    Only thing I regret is waiting for the unicorn to arrive and not getting this sooner.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Welcome to the club....multi that is .
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    grege345 said:
    Only thing I regret is waiting for the unicorn to arrive and not getting this sooner.
    Don't fret - just be happy you caught on! The small has been around and loved by most of us owners for years! The M/M has no track record. Maybe it will be kick butt! OTOH if they haven't figured out how to put it in a box yet since it was announced 5 months ago in April then don't you wonder just a little even? I'm dead happy with my egg family which includes a mini and a small. Marrying the two sizes might be great, but time will tell...if they can find a box a bit larger! LOL! BTW I have U-Line on speed dial and those crating engineers either have ready made boxes or will create them within an hour - not 5 months! LOL
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited September 2014
    JRWhitee said:
    Now we just need the Jets to beat the Packers.

DUDE!!!!

I ain't saying anything about DA' BEARS...

I have a Large and a Mini....Mini is perfect burger and brat machine...or searing fillets on a 9" lodge cast griddle at 500 deg....then finishing in the large at 345 deg..

I suppose the small can do the same

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• JRWhitee
    DA BEARS!   <:-P

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • @RRP didnt realize you had a mini. I just don't know that I would use one enough to justify it since I have the small. I'm pretty certain the wife would frown upon me buying a mini. I think if I buy another egg it will be another large or even maybe an XL. Probably just gonna roll with the lg/small combo for a while.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    @RRP didnt realize you had a mini. I just don't know that I would use one enough to justify it since I have the small. I'm pretty certain the wife would frown upon me buying a mini. I think if I buy another egg it will be another large or even maybe an XL. Probably just gonna roll with the lg/small combo for a while.

yup...14 years ago we started with a large, and we added the small within a couple months. Following year Pat surprised me with a medium and then a year later she further surprised me with the mini. My medium is the only one I call my "virgin" as it has never had any meat in it and is strictly my baking egg! Cakes, cookies, etc, but no pizzas and never any wood or chips. The amazing thing is it is still just tan inside and not black and I have never had to do a burn out and believe it or not....don't gasp...it still has the original felt gasket after 10 years! But - it has never seen any temperature over 375 at most either!