Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket experts, I need some advice

I have only done one brisket, and was not able to find a good parallel cook through the search function.

I have an 11 lb CAB packer in the freezer, it will probably be around 10 lbs once trimmed.  Plan to cook it for a family group who will arrive early Friday evening, I want to have it finish around 4:00 and rest in FTC until it is time to eat.  I was thinking of cooking at 250, but am thinking I don't want to get up at 3 AM to light the egg.

Given my hoped for finish time (give or take an hour), what time should I start it, and at what temp should I cook it?  I am not opposed to foiling at the stall.

Also, how many days does it take to thaw a cut like this?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2014
    Cook at 300. Put it on at 10pm and plan to take it off around 8 or 9 the next day. FTC until its time to serve. No clue on thaw time.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • When I cook at 300 (shoot for 280-300) I plan on about 1 hr per lb. It's never exact but will be close. I find it better to be done early and FTC than to try to hurry and finish.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    ^^^^^^ + 1 always go for the longer FTC than the push
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
     I put my cryo sealed briskets in the sink full of warm water, thaws a 3-4 lb in 2 hrs.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • If you are in a crunch to thaw, run cold water over the cryo'd brisket. It doesn't have to be a heavy stream either. @Anton This will thaw your 3-4lber in less than thirty minutes.

@Cookinbob‌ I personally wouldn't trim much. Smoke at 225 dome and throw it on around 9-10pm. I'd throw some firebricks on there too so if it gets done early you can ftc it longer. Throw the firebricks on the towels in the cooler and you can hold it for 5+ hours no problem. You could probably hold it for 6-7 hrs if you need too. I've ftc'ed this way for 5 hrs in a crappy cooler and was at 163 when I sliced it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    NW IOWA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Thanks @Philly35, yeah I have used cold and lukewarm , never hot, but we here in California are in our worst drought in a while so I can't let faucet run for no reason, get charged the $$$$. So I fill sink.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    If have room in your fridge it should thawing a day in there. I would take out on Wednesday morning and put in the fridge. It should be ready to cook by Thursday morning and if not then run a little cold water over the areas that aren't. Should be able to stay in the fridge for few days in the packer. I agree on don't take a lot of the fat off, just the hard fat near the point that won't render. The cooks I have done have been from 250 to 275 and I usually get about a pounder and hour. Now when it hits 160, 165 you can foil it with some liquid and let it finish at 195 to 205, but I think you will be ok. When I want a 14 ponder trimed I put it on at midnight if I want to eat at 5. Now remember you need to stabilize the egg first before putting it on.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

Not an expert here but here's what has yielded insane results for me:

1) Trim a LOT of the fat out of it (interior and exterior) but do leave 1/4" layer on the outside and cook it that side up

2) Whole packer trimmed briskets are the best finished product

3) Dry rub- Salt, Pepper, and that's it.

4) Thaw for a few days in the fridge

5) 235 degrees and 1.5 hrs per lb

6) Texas crutch with about 3 hrs left in the cook and pour sweet beer in the foil

7) Beer in drip pan is good moisture and flavor source for the meat.

• If you haven't done so already. I would remove it from the freezer and put in the frig. Even if it thaws before you're ready to cook it, it will be fine until then. I would sooner know it is fully thawed than to have it partially frozen.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • From past experience, large pieces of meat, typically need about 2-3 days thawing in the fridge, from freezer to fridge.  From freezer, you can thaw in sink for 1-2hrs, to give it a head start, and then place in the fridge - just don't forget about it.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • I did this exact same cook last night and posted it on the Nola brisket camp thread. You will most likely trim more than 1 lb of fat of you do it right. I trimmed all the hard fat off mine and it was 2.5 lbs on a 10'lb packer. I used salt and pepper (75 pepper/25salt but I prefer bad Byron's butt rub on all Briskets that are not the fancy Waygu type. I use salt and pepper only on those. My best advice is to use oak chunks on brisket. If you use bad Byron's and oak, you will be happy.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

Here is a link to one of the Aaron Franklin brisket videos-this is the prep work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTzdMHu5KU The remainder will give you some good insights as well.

And regarding the thaw-I would put in the fridge today as it will take 2-3 days as mentioned above.

Enjoy the cook.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Thanks all, I just took it out of the freezer, will let it thaw until Thursday night.  I selected this one carefully when I purchased it, it was nice and flexible, so should turn out good.  Right now I am thinking I'll throw it on at 10 PM Thursday night at 225-235 dome with lots of hickory for the smoke.  I can always turn up the heat or foil it if it looks to not finish in time.
    Rochester, NY
  • I have to agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ here. Oak is the way to go. OAK!
    NW IOWA
  • BTW- I cooked mine at 300 and it was done in 7 hrs 15 min. It was 7.5 lbs after I trimmed it. about an hr per lb and it was pouring juice out when I sliced it open. I put it on at 11 am and we ate at 7

• Here it is at 7hrs 15 min. You cannot over oak one of these in an egg. I out 6 large chunks in and it was perfect.

imageimageimage
  • If I had used bad Byron's, it would have been perfect.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Throw it in a bag with some cure and make brisket bacon out of it . :D

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Cookinbob
    Philly35 said:
    I have to agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ here. Oak is the way to go. OAK!
    Unfortunately I do not have Oak ( I have Hickory, Maple, Apple, Pear, and a litttle Cherry).  I also do not have Bad Byrons, but there was a clone recipe on here which I bookmarked.  I should give it a try?
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    shtgunal3 said:
    Throw it in a bag with some cure and make brisket bacon out of it . :D
    I need to eat more bacon, I have about 8 packages in the freezer right now :P
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    BTW- I cooked mine at 300 and it was done in 7 hrs 15 min. It was 7.5 lbs after I trimmed it. about an hr per lb and it was pouring juice out when I sliced it open. I put it on at 11 am and we ate at 7

I just found out I will not get home until 11:00 on Thursday night, I think I will try to have it on the egg by 7 and run at 300.  Yours looks awesome
    Rochester, NY
  • Ladeback69
    @Cookinbob, I like using cherry. It gives the brisket great flavor and a good smoke ring.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    edited September 2014
    Photos won't post.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Cookinbob said:
    Philly35 said:
    I have to agree with @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ here. Oak is the way to go. OAK!
    Unfortunately I do not have Oak ( I have Hickory, Maple, Apple, Pear, and a litttle Cherry).  I also do not have Bad Byrons, but there was a clone recipe on here which I bookmarked.  I should give it a try?

sure. Anything close should be good.