Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not sure if this has been asked and answered already. If it has my appoligies for asking it again. I am thinking of getting the cast iron grate for my large, for those that have it do you use it for all your cooks or do you only use it for steaks and burgers? I would like to use only one instead of constantly switching it out with the original grate. If you do use it all the time how is it to add wood chunks or additional lump while the egg is still cooking and is there some type of grate lifter for it?[p]Thanks

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Retires RailRoader,
    I use mine all the time, for everything, which actually is better for the grate because it stops it from rusting. I use the "original" grid lifter from Lawn Ranger.One the lump is lit, I never had a reason to add lump, I always make sure I have enuf from the get go.

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Chef Wil,[p]I was wondering about the rust factor. I'm sure that cast iron will retain enough heat to give me much better grill marks on my meat. Maybe I'd finally be proud enough to post food pics! But my job sometimes gets crazy enough that occasionally the Egg will sit unattended for a week or two between cooks and I was almost certain that I'd end up with a rust-covered grill.[p]Hmmmm gotta give some more thought to getting one now.[p]Todd
  • Fishkiller
    Options
    Retires RailRoader,
    I use my cast iron grate all of the time, for every cook. Here is what we made to lift it with.[p]100_0320.jpg[p]100_0319.jpg[p]fishkiller

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Smoke and Beers,
    Mine sits sometimes that long too and no problem here, if I am gonna sit idle for a while, i usually use the can spray while the egg is still warm. No rust here.