Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket on new egg?

Options
I just purchased a new MBGE and have never cooked on it. I believe the stock gasket would peel right off before I heat it up. Would you just go ahead and replace with a Rutland from the start?

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I would wait. Break it in for awhile lower temp cooking... You can get one from Ron and have it ready just in case...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I just purchased a new MBGE and have never cooked on it. I believe the stock gasket would peel right off before I heat it up. Would you just go ahead and replace with a Rutland from the start?
    Suit yourself, but I know of a lot of people who have gone Rutland on their first eggs will start with a Rutland as soon as they add to their family of eggs.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    If it is just peeling off, you can glue that part back. The gasket should last you at least a year and after that, I bet you will feel like you don't need a gasket...

Options
    I removed the gasket off of my medium when I first brought it home. I had already installed one on my XL and figured what the hell. My medium came off easier when it was new. My XL took a little more effort to come off.
    XL, Large, Medium, and Mini Max
    Northern Virgina
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Heck no. Leave the gasket and wait until it needs replacing.
    You know the saying.
    "If it aint broke dont fix it"
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It just depends on your intended use and preferences. I fought the gasket issue for 2 1/2 years on my large BGE before finally installing a Rutland. I was so pleased with the Rutland that when I purchased a mini a few weeks ago I ordered a Rutland from RRP immediately. I will not have a egg without a Rutland gasket. Once installed your worries are over. You can run extremely high temps at will without concern for damage. Peace of mind if you will. To each his own, but the Rutland is a must in my estimate. I highly recommend it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I would put the rutland on from day one and never look back.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Rutland won't out-perform the stock gasket, just outlast it. No point in replacing it out of the box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I concur 100%.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Maccool said:
    Rutland won't out-perform the stock gasket, just outlast it. No point in replacing it out of the box. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    I would disagree. My felt gasket never sealed anywhere near as well as my rutlands.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy‌
    I didn't want to be the one to say it. I concur again.

Status- Standing by.

• DoctorMojo
    Options
    KSwoll said:
    I removed the gasket off of my medium when I first brought it home. I had already installed one on my XL and figured what the hell. My medium came off easier when it was new. My XL took a little more effort to come off.
    This was my experience as well, once they bake on it is not as easy to take off and I have a Rutland on hand. I was not on the forum when I replaced my large and I bought 2, otherwise I would have got them from Ron.

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• EggerinLA
    Options
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I agree Maccool.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    EggerinLA said:
    I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I agree Maccool.

if you are agreeing with his assessment that it won't seal better then I'll just say he didn't apply it properly, but why should I know about the Rutland and the proper way to apply it? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Tellem how it is brother. They just don't know.

Status- Standing by.