Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shade Sail over Big Green Egg - Am I crazy?

Options
Egg and forum newbie here! Long time lurker, first time poster! LOL 

Anyway, I have a cove of a back patio that I want to start building out into a grillin' & chillin' station over time. I purchased some 12' shade sails to cover the patio with and give some shade (a pergola has been ruled out for now due to the odd shape, eaves, etc). It gets really hot back there right around the time I usually fire up the grill in the summer. I plan to mount them tomorrow (assuming the rain gives me a window) from rooftop to rooftop. 

BUT, I noticed tonight that the shade sail instructions say "Do not use a barbecue under the sails." What the?!? Geez. 

I think the sails will be about 5'-7' above the top of the egg. Am I crazy to just go for it? I think the instructions are just being cautious, so I need some practical (not legally binding) advice. I think their main fear is sparks floating up, but I cook with the egg closed 95% of the time. The only time it is open is when I open it to put food on or take it off. 

As a precaution I have considered building (as part of my future table) a tin covering (or something) over the egg to reduce risk. I have also thought about possibly painting the sails with some sort of flame retardant paint/sealer. 

Anyone got any ideas? Does anyone think I should back away from the edge? Or does this seem like it's ok to do?

Just chillin' and lovin' the eggin' life! Facebook • My Graphic Design Website

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

First of all, Welcome!

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it at all, good luck!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I would absolutely do it.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Welcome! I keep an umbrella over mine until I can build a roof and I'm sure my umbrella is closer than your sail. So far mine does fine so good luck!
    -Todd
    Franklin N.C. LBGE and a SBGE
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Umm sorry the pic is sideways
    -Todd
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I probably wouldnt do any high heat pizza cooks or clean burns. Other than that think you would be ok.

Little Rock, AR

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    As long as you aren't going to leave it completely unattended for a really hot cook you should be just fine. I would think as long as you respect the fact that you have a open flame that close to some sort of covering you will be fine. 

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • HeathCave
    HeathCave Posts: 69
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Feeling better about it. I definitely won't be leaving it unattended for any high heat cooks...and be extra watchful opening the dome. And I'll probably get some sort of fire extinguisher to keep nearby (which is probably wise anyway).

@RiverDoc, I just bought a similar umbrella a couple weekends ago (for a quick sun-break for a busy cooking weekend), maybe I will keep that nearby to help protect from any floating sparks as well. Thx for making me think of that! 

What a great forum...Glad to be an egger and on this forum! Thanks again for all of the advice. If I get the sails up tomorrow, I will post some pics!
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @HeathCave‌ I would roll the nest down the patio so the smoke doesn't dis color the sail. Be careful rolling it tho
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I use an umbrella also. My outdoor kitchen is not 100% covered. The umbrella is used to shade the griller on hot afternoons and i move it over the egg if it's raining. No issues so far. Good luck with the install and welcome!!
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Welcome to the madness. I'm not sure exactly what a shade sail is, but I agree with @grege345‌ on moving the egg. I think smoke will be your biggest concern. Also,I f your going to be moving the egg around, you might want to consider getting a nest handler.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your cooks. Once again, welcome to the forum.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I wouldn't use a flammable "roof" over any grill. Especially one that has an afterburner feature! http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1514123#Comment_1514123

That BigGreenCraig pic farther down the page is particularly scary. The only thing in the pic that isn't flammable is the egg!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've wanted to do the same kinda thing. I was planning on using metal posts anchored in concrete as my mounts. I was planning on having it at least 8ft high at its lowest portion.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    No way. All you have to do is crank the egg to a little hotter than your normal temps and then place your hand over the top.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • HeathCave
    HeathCave Posts: 69
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Well, I decided I'm going for it but the rain kept me from getting them all the way up today. Hoping to finish in the morning. 

I am however going to put a fire resistant grill canopy (ordered..see attached) over the egg for some added protection, with hopes of building something more substantial when budget allows.

If the roof isn't wet tomorrow morning, they're going up! Will post pics when I get the sails up and/or when I get the canopy up too. 
  • HeathCave
    Options
    I promised a pic and here it is! The sails are up and they're about 6' above the top of the egg with a slight R to L angle for rain runoff. Glad to have some shade! It's not 100% coverage but it's enough to break the north Texas heat on my patio. Phase 1 of the patio cooking area complete! 

I ordered a separate fire-resistant canopy for over the egg (seen above...hoping to get it this week) and then I'm going to build some freestanding side cabinets for each side of the egg and take off the cheap looking egg mates. I like having the egg in the nest, so I'm planning to build around it basically and keep things sort of modular. 

What do you guys think?
    Sails.JPG 1016.7K
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd throw a roof over it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    It looks good. I like the looks of shade sails.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HeathCave
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'd throw a roof over it.
    I think one day I might do something more permanent like a raised roof, pergola or something like that...when budget allows. :)
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    I think the wind will eventually rip those thing off, but you are good to go withe the BGE, IMHO.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RiverDoc
    Options
    Looks great how does the sail shed water? I have also considered those
    -Todd
  • HeathCave
    Options
    @RiverDoc, the sails are like a nylon/plastic material so they don't absorb water, it just runs off, but you have to make sure that you have them at an angle for it run off obviously. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Like my granddad always said, opinions are worth what you paid for them. But...I think that looks pretty slick. Nice use of an unusual space. Enjoy!
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    A Big Green Egg and Directv all in the same pic. A man after my own heart. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Nice audible!  Enjoy the cooks.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeathCave
    Options
    A Big Green Egg and Directv all in the same pic. A man after my own heart. 
    If only that DirecTV were feeding to a TV right there by the BGE! What else could a man ask for? Well....
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I know what you mean. When cooking chicken, etc. I usually watch Netflix on my phone. One day (soon hopefully) I am going to put a tv and a receiver down there. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    Nothing crazy about that. Probably gave others an idea...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    HeathCave said:I noticed tonight that the shade sail instructions say "Do not use a barbecue under the sails." What the?!? Geez. 

I think the sails will be about 5'-7' above the top of the egg. 

You're fine.  Most of the outside-the-box warnings on products these days are via overworried lawyers; if you have two hours tomorrow, read all the warning labels on your ladder!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Where did you order that fire resistant canopy? I'm looking for something like that.