Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dunkin Donuts ?

What is all they hype about this place opened 11 days ago and the line has been like this for 12 days now. This is our first one here to hit the West Side ( Santa Monica CA )  is it worth the line to I give in and just sit around for two hours for a cup of joe and a donut?  Thanks hope someone can tell me why

Hermosa Beach CA 
DD.JPG 146.7K

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    In no particular order, my answer is ... It's new and their stupid. Dunkin Donuts has good donuts, but not stand in line for an hour good. I live in the general area and have driven past. Ridiculous.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    I drink the coffee. It's good!
  • My hometown has had these since I was little good donuts for sure but not waiting in any line for them.
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited September 2014
    Maybe they are running a special in celebration of their opening? People will stand in line for free stuff. Also, I wonder what the donut-loving people say about us when we stand in line for Aaron Franklin brisket? Lol
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • New national franchises get hyped. About five years ago, White Castle came to Flint with their slider laxative burgers and you couldn't get into their parking lot they were so jammed!

I will say this about their slider laxative burgers: they are effective, but not gentle.

Dunkin Donuts coffee is good.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    It's a step above 7-11 around me.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I wouldn't stand in line for two hours for Aaron franklins brisket, much less a donut!!! Anyone's donut. They opened a KK in CT some years ago. Lines were like that. No, I didn't though i used to love Kk. They closed the place after about a year. Not enough business. Dunkin is king in New England I guess.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• They're fine. Same as any other chain really. Went there this morning but I wouldn't wait in line for more than a few minutes.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    The donuts suck and the coffee is an acquired taste... It's a New England thing, we have at least one on every block in Boston and the surrounding suburbs.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    They are a good, not strong franchise operation here.
    Good doughnuts, decent coffee, nothing to stand in line for.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    i like Tim Hortens
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    There are easily 10 within a 5 mile radius of my house in northern NJ. Nothing special. Their coffee and donuts are adequate at best (IMO).
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited September 2014
    Been a stable draw in our locale for years! Good coffee for sure but I never eat more than 2 or 3 donuts a year now. Back when I was a working stiff every Friday morning meeting started with people clamoring to get at the two dozen assorted donuts from DD! Assortments are colorful that's for sure! KK rolled into town and built a huge new store but less than 6 months after opening the KK president & CEO was fired and the chain closed the store so it really never got a foothold here.

BTW down South I have eaten at DD which are full restaurants, not just donut shops.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    We have a mom and pop place here that doesn't do anything special with crazy kinds of doughnuts or coffee. But their glazed are amazing best I've ever had anywhere.if your ever around Greenville they are called Sweeties.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Nothing free being served, it is just the grand opening it is just amazing that people are standing in line for a donut.  I will stand in line all day for brisket.  I will anxiously hope these lines die down and the hype wears off so I can have one before standing in line.  We asked some people and the line is about 2.5 hours long...... 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    edited September 2014
    I remember a time when all the coffee/donuts store arround here were Dunkin Donuts, nothing else. That was about 20 years go. They are now all gone and were replaced by Tim Hortons. Nothing fantastic about Dunkin Donuts.

Someone standing in line for DD makes me laugh. Sheep.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    DD came back to utard a few months back, I rarely eat doughnuts but I like theirs (I'm not a coffee drinker).  
    Crowds for franchises amaze me.  We got our first In-n-Out Burger a couple years ago in Centerville, and the traffic was snarled around that place for months!!  The city had to add some traffic cops for awhile.  A second one opened within walking distance of me, and its parking lot never was more than half-full.  Got our first Zaxby's (southern chicken wings) this spring and some people camped out overnight to be "first in line".  

And, I'm STILL laughing at all the Apple fanbois who camped out for up to a week, to buy an iPhone or AppleWatch that won't be released for weeks or months!!  
    :)) :)) :))

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Some people are obsessed with buying these weird green cookers.  I think that obsession is better than DD.  Those donuts suck.  I seem to remember them tasting better when I was young they taste like they are made a day or two before you buy them.  Many better options out there.
  • msocko3
    msocko3 Posts: 35
    edited September 2014
    The coffee is good, IMO the donuts are only middle of the road. I love the good mom & pop donut shops. These chains just don't cut it for me, they taste mass produced.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    msocko3 said:

The coffee is good, IMO the donuts are only middle of the road. I love the good mom & pop donut shops. These chains just don't cut it for me, they taste mass produced.

I agree with that where DD is concerned. However, I have yet to find a better doughnut than a fresh hot glazed Krispy Kreme that you get in the shop. I still wouldn't wait more than 10 minutes for it though.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dunkin donut coffee good? I guess it's what you compare it to. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    My guess is they're giving away something for free. I've always enjoyed their coffee back when I drank it with cream and sugar. Their donuts are averaged. Thawed from a freezer each day I'm sure. Don't take me wrong, I'll never pass up a donut.
    Dunedin, FL
  • The coffee and donuts are both good, but not worth waiting in line.  I get coffee from them more often than donuts, but I like normal blend coffee and nothing crazy.  
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited September 2014
    Krispy Kreme is night and day better IMHO. But DD coffee is 100x better than KK. It's all about your taste.

Now, I've got a buddy that eggs his bread pudding from fresh Krispy Kreme doughnuts!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    We've had Dunkin Donuts around since I was knee high to a grasshopper. They are good and the coffee is ok. Not worth it to me even if they were giving free donuts away. There is not much I will stand in line for 2 hours for. Wait it out, its just the newness.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Wawa is superior coffee
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Dunks Iced Coffee regular(cream&sugar) is like melted coffee ice cream.... Only sweeter
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2014

I wouldn't stand in line for two hours for Aaron franklins brisket, much less a donut!!! Anyone's donut. They opened a KK in CT some years ago. Lines were like that. No, I didn't though i used to love Kk. They closed the place after about a year. Not enough business. Dunkin is king in New England I guess.

You're missing out on Franklin's then. It's about all I'll stand in line for besides concert tickets.