Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any pepperoni experts here?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
Don't think I have ever seen this addressed before, so here I go! For tonight's pizza I used our normal Hormel brand of "original pepperoni". It tastes fine, but it has always bugged me that as a cured meat it can sit on a shelf until opening and only then does it need to be refrigerated! Are there any other brands to look for? Can't say as I have ever seen pepperoni in a meat deli showcase.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I get pepperoni out of our grocery store deli quite often. It is sandwich size though. I believe the brand is Prima Della. It is about as big around as a tennis ball.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I like Boar's Head, but whatever you use, buy the stick and slice your own. The pre sliced is usually too thin.
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I get pepperoni out of our grocery store deli quite often. It is sandwich size though. I believe the brand is Prima Della. It is about as big around as a tennis ball.

if it is that big then for pizza do you cut it in pieces? How's the taste compared to Hormel?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Centex is a salami expert.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    The taste is a lot better than any pre packaged stuff. It's a lot fresher. Or seems to be. I haven't used it on pizza but I suppose you could leave it as is or cut it up either way.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• RRP
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    I like Boar's Head, but whatever you use, buy the stick and slice your own. The pre sliced is usually too thin.

I see BH at our Kroger store, guess I just never saw pepperoni there...I better just go ask and sample some, huh?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Look for a good shop I buy this from a international market deli. Its tops.

Shameless in action pic

:D
    Seattle, WA
  • Tjcoley
    Options
    @RRP. The BH is spicier than Hormel, and seems to curl, or cup more when baked on a pizza. More like old world pepperoni rather than the American style Hormel.
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options

Tjcoley said:
    @RRP. The BH is spicier than Hormel, and seems to curl, or cup more when baked on a pizza. More like old world pepperoni rather than the American style Hormel.
    I hate to break it to you, but pepperoni IS American style spicy salami.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Tjcoley
    Options
    @Zmokin yeah, but there are definitely two distinct styles. The "American style" stays flat when cooked. The "Old World Style" curls and cups when cooked. Usually spicier.
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've seen both sluiced and whole pepperoni in the grocery stores I got to. The packaged stuff is just ok. I had a pizza class today for the egg and will be post photos and a thread on it tomorrow from what I learned. It was 4 hours of heaven.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Look for a thin stick and don't buy the Hormel ones sitting out on the shelf with the bread shaped pizza shells.  The ones in the deli cases are usually good and in most cases I see them in a refridgerated case.

When I get them home I actually unwrap them and throw them in the refridgerator drawer that we keep lunch meat in.  Let it stay in there for weeks.  It will dry out and get hard.  That's better.  Then slice it thin for snacks or pizzas!

Hormel does make long thin ones in some supermarkets, but again, not the ones that are vacuum packed and out in the middle of the food store.  The good ones are near a deli case of some sort.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP‌
    I'm a expert at eating them, but that's where my expertise stops. Sorry brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Olli makes a great pepperoni
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I always buy the Boars Head in the deli. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Hunter1881
    Options
    Our local Walmart sells a couple different types. I had always bought hormel. Then I noticed some in the deli section and had it sliced. Not sure of brand but can check tomorrow if needed. It is bigger as said above I just quarter it for pizza. And it is actually cheaper than the bagged hormel. And IMO better. The other type is a whole stick that is of smaller diameter. It is located where they keep beef jerkey and summer sausage. It had good flavor but is a little spicy for my taste. But I am not a fan of heat either.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I used to buy Margherita stick pepperoni. Sometimes BH. Once i tried stick, i never went back to presliced. No contest. Love the cupping, the pools of oil and especially the charred edges! Wish I could still eat salty fatty greasy crap like that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited September 2014
    Options

I used to buy Margherita stick pepperoni. Sometimes BH. Once i tried stick, i never went back to presliced. No contest. Love the cupping, the pools of oil and especially the charred edges! Wish I could still eat salty fatty greasy crap like that.

Yep...makes the pizza compared to the shelf crap at the stores.
    Seattle, WA