Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Big Green Eggs or Not 2 Big Green Eggs

Options
So I bought my first BGE a little over a year ago... Went with the large. I cook on it several times a week, rain or shine. It works great and I absolutely love my BGE! But there are many times I find myself wishing I had either gone with the XL or that I had two BGE's... A good example, when I'm doing a long low and slow cook and my wife wants me to cook something quick for lunch like sausage or burgers... Cant do it without messing up the slow cook. When we have family over and I'm cooking steaks on the grill... Never seems to be enough room so I end up doing it in stages. So I'm leaning toward getting a second BGE... But wondering if I should go ahead with an XL or just get another large... Any one else out there in a similar pickle? Am I just not using my large to its fullest potential?

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I just had the same delimna and went with the XL.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I only have an XL but would maybe like to get a small or mini-max to do single dogs/burgers on... I **will** fire up the XL just for a couple of dogs at the drop of a hat... 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This works for me: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A $1000 large for a couple of burgers or dogs?! A $150 Weber One-Touch is perfect for that. Or even a Smokey Joe for 30 bucks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    If you are thinking about another Egg as I am, I plan to buy another L so all my current Eggcessories are available for either.  If you go XL, you will need to buy more than just the Egg.  I hear you on the cooking dilemmas and will have another Large in my yard soon to combat these minor issues. 
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• MickeyMeanie
    Options
    Like that set up Mickey! It's about more than just a couple of burgers and dogs Carolina Q, but I hear ya...I want to be able to cook other things while the BGE is tied up with a long cook. Monty, that's makes perfect sense... I do have a little size envy with the XL though LOL.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I had been wrestling with another BGE (like you) for quite a while.  I settled in on the SBGE (own a LBGE) but always thought it "too many $$."  Read too much here about what hacker it is (thanks @cazzyand then jumped on one at an Eggfest last month.  Too much fun cooking on it-
    I gave considerable thought to the "trading accessories" deal and have quite a bit invested in the LBGE toys.  Figured the chances of having to share or trade were minimal-so CGS woo and stone and we are enjoying the max out of the SBGE.  That said, steady-state household is 2 adults, but there is the shock value of 2 mid twenty's male children that can do some serious food consumption damage.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    If it could only be one it would be the XL. I have the XL and the medium and that works great for me. If I already had a large it would be another large.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Large & Small are highly recommended here

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I'm only 6 months in but pondered the same thing. I have a Large.

I think next spring I'll go w/ another L AND a Unicorn, er, Mini Max. I would like to be able to do 2-3 burgers quick , and have the room for more food for guest while still using all my accessories from the large.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Yep I totally understand. That's why I went out and bought a medium bge to go with my large bge. It's the perfect combo for my family.
    One isn't enough.image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• badinfluence
    Options
    Oh and 2 will be 3 then 10 trust me I really do understand. :(
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    @badinfluence I think you have a better showroom than my dealer!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• badinfluence
    Options
    @EGGjlmh‌ thanks I think. Sad part is that is only 6 of them. 4 were making dinner when I took the pucture.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • MickeyMeanie
    Options
    Oh and 2 will be 3 then 10 trust me I really do understand. :(

Oh wow! That scares me! Bad influence indeed! LOL!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I was lucky enough to talk the wife up to the XL when we bought our first Egg.  It has served yeoman duty for the past 4 years. Last fall I got a Medium. It seems the perfect combination for us. The M is small enough to fire up for burgers or brats for the 2 of us yet big enough to do a larger chunk of protein when required. But I absolutely love the XL when it is time to do a lot of ribs,  Thanksgiving turkey or a bunch of steaks. This works very well for us. However if I had bought a Large first, I would very likely buy a second L as that seems to work for many on the site.  Of course then I would need a Small or the upcoming Minimax for smaller cooks.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Because you can use your Eggcessories in either Egg, a second large gives you tremendous flexibility

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    So have you decided yet? I would get a Xl so the wife can get you something other then socks for christmas. Got to think ahead my freind

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Oh and it's always easier to ask forgiveness then to ask permission...

Clinton, Iowa
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    The second BGE should be the largest you can afford. It's best to have as much space and cooking flexibility as possible.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @xc242 good point. I have to agree. Go XXL the mrs. Won't mind just tell her I said it was OK. :D

Clinton, Iowa
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    :))
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I was in a similar predicament as the original poster, and I went ahead and added another large. 

I don't regret it at all. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I had the same dilemma 6 years ago...two years with a large BGE and I thought I needed another one so I bought a medium. Here we are 6 years later and I bought another large. Man, what a luxury. I do go through a lot of charcoal, however.Can't really see any value in an XL and never even contemplated it.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I have seen so many awesome cooks on the small. I'm definitely thinking one large and small will do for myself. Less lump to use also.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    I have a Large and a Small and am a happy egger. I could see a use for a second Large someday.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • MickeyMeanie
    Options
    So far I'm leaning toward a second large BGE. Being able to interchange eggcessories makes economic sense to me. On the flip side, I think I would probably appreciate the extra cooking surface the XL would offer. I've seen the XXL in person... That was bordering on ludicrous size! LOL. Looks like it would take an entire bag of lump to cook on it!
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @MickeyMeanie‌ it takes over 1 full bag to fill it. I only put 1 20 lbs bag in mine and could have put more in. So far I have only used it 1 time.

Clinton, Iowa